The Adventures of Tintin

Finn

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
It would also help if they'd reboot the TinTin comics with a more catchy art style drawn by someone like Joe Madureira of 'The Avenging Spider Man' or Filipe Andrade of 'John Carter A Princess of Mars'.
Ought to slap you for that one, brat.

The only justification for a reboot is when a series' style or premise has fallen behind with the times. Tintin shows no signs of this at all, more like the contrary. It has born the test of time like a champ. One of the main reasons why these stories are so popular are because Hergé got the visual style nailed down for 'em to a boot.

<small>*grumble*... I've permbanned men for less idiocy.</small>

Attila the Professor

Staff member
And to go with Finn's outrage...

RedeemedChild said:
All I see advertised on television is that AWFUL Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol rubbish.

Man, it's <I>Brad Bird</I>. In live-action. You know how many people who don't care about Mission Impossible or Tom Cruise are going to see this because of who's directed it?

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
Man, it's <I>Brad Bird</I>. In live-action. You know how many people who don't care about Mission Impossible or Tom Cruise are going to see this because of who's directed it?

Me. But then again, I've seen the previous three in the theatre and didn't like any of 'em. Well, I did enjoy the first one. I was going to pass on Ghost Protocol until I saw Brad Bird's name attached to it.

RedeemedChild said:
It would also help if they'd reboot the TinTin comics with a more catchy art style drawn by someone like Joe Madureira of 'The Avenging Spider Man' or Filipe Andrade of 'John Carter A Princess of Mars'.

Yes, you should be slapped. And repeatedly. Especially for mentioning Joe "I can't finish anything." Madureira.

oki9Sedo

This came out in Ireland in October, so I've been lucky enough to see it two months before you US citizens!

Its excellent. In particular its lean and streamlined, with a focused narrative that only digresses pointlessly once, and even that digression is semi-relevant to the main thrust of the story. This was a refreshing change in an age where most blockbusters cram in too many subplots resulting in hastily wrapped endings.

RedeemedChild

@Finn, Oh, I'm terribly sorry. Please forgive my terrible and unwise blunder.

@Atilla, I really and truly didn't realize that Brad Bird (the genius behind The Incredibles) was directing this MI movie. I guess I shall have to change my stance on that one on account that he is at the helm.

@Le Saboteur, Ouch, those blows hurt man. Must you slap so violently?
Anyway, in all seriousness I must admit that I really do enjoy Joe Madureira's art style.

Anyway, Herge's art is quite unique and very classic to say the very lest.

Finn

Staff member
Is it just my imagination kid, or did you just take a try at sarcasm?

<small>If so, that permban just turned from a simple desire to necessity.</small>

RedeemedChild

Finn said:
Is it just my imagination kid, or did you just take a try at sarcasm?

<small>If so, that permban just turned from a simple desire to necessity.</small>

No Finn, I wasn't trying to be funny. I mean I am sorry if I offended you in regards to the art form because I know that I do need to refine my taste to appreciate simple artistic styles like those of the classic TinTin comics and not always desire or want the flashy and flamboyant styles that we see in modern comics.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Ought to slap you for that one, brat.

The only justification for a reboot is when a series' style or premise has fallen behind with the times. Tintin shows no signs of this at all, more like the contrary. It has born the test of time like a champ. One of the main reasons why these stories are so popular are because Hergé got the visual style nailed down for 'em to a boot.

*grumble*... I've permbanned men for less idiocy.

Classy!

I used to think that Picasso's work should be rebooted to make his figures look more human. Until I understood why they were the way they were.

Talking of 'banned'...

Finn said:
TinTin_Congo.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware of all the controversy surrounding it so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be grabbing one, but there're English copies out there, nevertheless...

...these are generally sold in the UK with a 'belly band' warning of controversial material. Thankfully the book itself was not banned. (Otherwise they'd have to ban/edit edit every Asterix book containing the pirates, or every 'racist' caricature of a big-nosed, big-bellied idiotic white person).

I doubt we'll see Spielberg direct Tintin in the Congo next, unless he reboots it.

Finn

Staff member
RedeemedChild said:
No Finn, I wasn't trying to be funny. I mean I am sorry if I offended you in regards to the art form because I know that I do need to refine my taste to appreciate simple artistic styles like those of the classic TinTin comics and not always desire or want the flashy and flamboyant styles that we see in modern comics.
Okay, that's it. I'm going to search your locker, and god forbid if I find the collected works of Nietzsche in there.

Montana Smith said:
I used to think that Picasso's work should be rebooted to make his figures look more human. Until I understood why they were the way they were.
This must be what those cops thought too. You know, the ones who got on the scene when Professor Picasso once got mugged in Barcelona. They asked him if he had seen the guy, and after his description, they managed to round up 17 men, eight women, three circus bears and a children's tricycle.

Le Saboteur

Joe Brody said:
Gotta say, I'm more looking forward to Paranorman. Masterful stuff.

Start a thread. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I still hate that trailer. It's like somebody dubbed over it because of copyright issues with the original soundtrack/dialogue.

2011_adventure_of_tintin_006_0.jpg

Does anybody remember the animated series that ran on HBO a few years back? I only saw a couple of them, but it was superbly done. If you're interested, it's available on video for a nominal sum.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rqAINUYE3b4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Collectors of collectibles might want to stop by Weta Workshop's site to check out their models and whatnot. They've done some fantastic work, and I'm lookig forward to The Art of the Adventures of Tintin.

6293691302_e78eb7d34d_b.jpg

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Does anybody remember the animated series that ran on HBO a few years back? I only saw a couple of them, but it was superbly done.

I suppose it must be the same production, but I have Anchor Bay's 10 disc 75th Anniversary set:

TINTINDVD75thanniversaryset.jpg

I've only watched a few of them. I find that Tintin suffers from lame slapstick humour (of the KOTCS kind). Hergé will always be in the shadow of Goscinny and Uderzo, though I wouldn't mind a set of those Tintin cars Atlas put out. But they cost and arm and leg.

Montana Smith said:
I doubt we'll see Spielberg direct Tintin in the Congo next, unless he reboots it.

Makes you wonder what caricature of native africans would be acceptable...

Which representatives of the Congo objected to the portrayal?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Makes you wonder what caricature of native africans would be acceptable...

That was a question I originally posed in my post, before deleting it.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Which representatives of the Congo objected to the portrayal?

Tintin in the Congo not racist, says Belgian judicial adviser

Reuters

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 1 November 2011 10.35 GMT

A Belgian judicial adviser has recommended the country's courts reject a legal bid to have a book featuring fictional boy hero Tintin banned for racism, court documents showed.

Valery de Theux de Meylandt, a Belgian Procureur du Roi whose opinion is requested and typically followed by the court, advised judges in a written statement to rule against campaigner Bienvenu Mbutu Mondondo's application to have Tintin in the Congo banned for racism.

De Theux de Meylandt said in the document seen by Reuters that Tintin author Georges Remi (better known as Hergé) did not intend to incite racial hatred when he depicted his cartoon hero on an adventure in the former Belgian colony in a 1931 work that was updated in 1946.

"The representations (of African people) by Herge are a reflection of his time," De Theux de Meylandt wrote.

Intention is a key criteria in substantiating a charge of racism. The court is expected to deliver a judgement rejecting or accepting Mondondo's argument that the book's depiction of Africans is racist.

"We see in particular that Tintin in the Congo does not put Tintin in a situation where there is competition or confrontation between the young reporter and any black or group of blacks, but pits Tintin against a group of gangsters ... who are white," De Theux de Meylandt also wrote in the statement.

Tintin in the Congo was one of a series of comic books about the adventures of a boy journalist and his dog Snowy, which were first published in 1931. Mondondo has taken aim at the modern version of the updated 1946 book.

The court case comes at a time when Tintin's popularity is on a comeback with a new Hollywood film from director Stephen Spielberg about the intrepid Belgian boy journalist on an adventure alongside Snowy, Captain Haddock and Inspector Thompson.

Montana Smith said:
That was a question I originally posed in my post, before deleting it.

Thanks just read a quick snippet but couldn't find examples of what he found "racist."

I saw something that espouses the Africans were drawn like monkeys, but Remi drew monkeys markedly different.

Heh, "Remi"!

RedeemedChild

@Joe Brody, Yes, I saw the trailer for that movie along with the teaser poster for Hotel Transylvania featuring the voice of Adam Sandler.

I've got only one question before The Adventures of TinTin opens here in the United States to those who've seen it already internationally.

Is there any after the credits footage to lead viewers into the sequel? I ask because the sequel has already been confirmed as can be see in the following link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=50706

oki9Sedo

RedeemedChild said:
@Joe Brody, Yes, I saw the trailer for that movie along with the teaser poster for Hotel Transylvania featuring the voice of Adam Sandler.

I've got only one question before The Adventures of TinTin opens here in the United States to those who've seen it already internationally.

Is there any after the credits footage to lead viewers into the sequel? I ask because the sequel has already been confirmed as can be see in the following link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=50706

No, there isn't.