The Adventures of Tintin

Henry W Jones

Kathleen Kennedy said:
I think we're done with the adventures of Indiana forever, I know there has been talk of locations up and even writing a script for a new Indiana. But there is nothing of that. We are busy with other projects. Also, I have the feeling that when Indiana has passed, now is the time of Tintin: Tintin will be the new Indiana.

I found TinTin to be highly entertaining but it is no Indiana Jones by any stretch. It has some of the same elements but it is too kid oriented to compare it to Indy. The music is JW and it definitely could be used in a Indiana Jones film. The action is good enough to keep you entertained. Snowy the dog is the most like Indy out of the characters in the film. He seems to have most of the brains and has a good bit of the action scenes where he is the hero. I did love the opening scene where they threw in a nod to the original TinTin artwork. The movie is really good but I do have a problem with Kennedy saying it is the new Indiana.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's a bit depressing that in North America, Chipmunks (a guy screwing around with a tape recorder!) is at $100M and Tintin is at $50M. I reckon Spielberg spent the past month wishing he could say "Yes! Tintin's the dog! It's a talking *&#% dog. And don't forget the talking horse movie." Sure they should have released it internationally months ago, and put cheap trade paperbacks in front of American children years ago. But it's doing well enough. This may be the cost of launching something new, nearly everything above it is from an existing franchise. If Peter Jackson keeps mentioning Tintin 2 during all the Hobbit hype, a Tintin trilogy just may happen. We may even learn how to spell it! ;)

DaFedora

Oh look, another Belgian cartoonists' animated work - The Smurfs (by Peyo aka Pierre Culliford) - is even topping the revenues of The Adventures of Tintin worldwide.

At rank 8 - The Smurfs - grossing $562.5 million worldwide
At rank 18 - The Adventures of Tintin - grossing $322.4 million worldwide
(source: http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2011)

Would Smurfette [or Katy Perry's voicework] have anything to do with that? :p

I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Tintin, even though I read most of the comics too. But there is in general a low amount of female characters or sidekicks in the Tintin stories to note, besides Bianca Castafiore.

DaFedora

With regards to the Tintin sountrack

The John Williams soundtrack (big collector myself) has great moments and familiar 'rollercoaster' elements to it.

Can't help but think the 'Secret of the Scrolls' has something ghoolish and Harry Potter-like to it. Not that surprising ;)

'Flight to Bagghar', 'Escape From The Karaboudjan' and 'The Pursuit of the Falcon' are marvelous work. The first two could have easily fitted in a Star Wars (Episode II) / Indy chase scene (Scherzo for Motorcycle & Orchestra still makes me smile everytime I put it on) and 100% JW !

'Pursuit of the Falcon' and 'The Clash of the Cranes'... needless to add praise for them :)

I must say the use of oboe and saxophone does add a special character to the Tintin soundtracks. Thank God Tintin is more than a children's comic - it's basically for all ages. So the more quirky, slapsticky parts are understandable.

Over all, a balanced soundtrack with ample 'darker' parts to it. Had to get used to the overtones of accordeon at times, making the soundtrack a bit more cheesier (referred to as 'Mickeymoused' on youtube and elsewhere).

A very lush score, worthy of an adventure movie with all the classic elements :)

Le Saboteur

tintin-the-adventure-of-tintin-time-for-the-tintin-do.jpg

DaFedora said:
I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Tintin, even though I read most of the comics too. But there is in general a low amount of female characters or sidekicks in the Tintin stories to note, besides Bianca Castafiore.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the States, Tintin & Herge have zero name recognition. It doesn't help that animation is considered to be the abyss of the movie going experience; it's for children to enjoy, and nobody else.

Case in point: I was at the movies earlier today taking in We Bought A Zoo, and the usual suspects were doing brisk business -- Game of Shadows, The Devil Inside, Mission: Impossible, & The Darkest Hour. Tintin didn't appear to have much spillover business, and those that were going in were families with really young children. In my experience with the original comics, Tintin, like Indiana Jones, is probably best geared towards teenage boys.

How many women featured in Lawrence of Arabia?

It certainly doesn't help that the only press it gets from the major newspapers is headlines like "Racism, sexism, Herge and Hollywood". That from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Margot Magowan said:
There are two answers, both are true. The first one is that in 2012 sexism is, in many ways, just as accepted and ?normal? as it was in 1932. Women are humiliated and degraded all the time, but while racism is seen as a political issue, sexism is still seen as a ?cultural? one.

It's hard to imagine all the neo-liberal mothers in the Bay Area trundling Dylan & Montana off to the movies when that's all the advance press you read.

Full article here.

Original blog entry here.

(Of course, we won't mention how much of a crap paper The Chronicle has become.)

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:

That image alone is enough to put me off. :eek:

This isn't a film that could drag me back into a theatre after twenty years of of cinematic abstinence.

I doubt there's any film that could do that.

It is, however, one of those films, that will be picked up when the DVD's already been discarded by a first-purchase viewer.

There's no getting around the issue that Hergé was a dull story teller, lacking the wit combined by the likes of Goscinny and Uderzo.

Forbidden Eye

Montana Smith said:
This isn't a film that could drag me back into a theatre after twenty years of of cinematic abstinence.

I doubt there's any film that could do that.

You didn't even see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in theaters? :eek:

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
You didn't even see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in theaters? :eek:

I wasn't going to watch it at all, until I found a cheap DVD sitting on a table in front of me. I saw the trailers on TV, and thought, "what a ridiculous idea".

The film was better than I feared. The only real positive thing about KOTCS was that it brought Indy toys back into the shops.

MinnesotaJones

I loved The Adventures of Tintin! I don't care if Herge and Tintin have zero name in America :rolleyes: , because here in Europe those names bring strokes of geniuses into mind.
Tintin was never going to be popular in America, but it dosen't matter because america is not the whole worlds population and Tintin is still eligible for an even better sequel

pharaon.jpg

I just hope they make Cigars of the Pharaoh next. (y)

Good Day.:hat:

Montana Smith

MinnesotaJones said:
I loved The Adventures of Tintin! I don't care if Herge and Tintin have zero name in America :rolleyes: , because here in Europe those names bring strokes of geniuses into mind.
Tintin was never going to be popular in America, but it dosen't matter because america is not the whole worlds population and Tintin is still eligible for an even better sequel

Okay, that picture does it. I've decided to finally work my way through the 10-disc animated Tintin set.

I suppose Tintin will always be the poorer cousin of Asterix in my mind, but Snowy has always been a close relation of Dogmatix/Idefix.

And I've love a set of the Atlas cars, if they weren't so expensive.

Montana Smith

The animated Tintin from 1991-1992 isn't too bad once you get into it. I've watched the first eight stories, only another thirteen to go! The only real drawback is the silly slapstick that Hergé was so fond of.

Meanwhile I just happened to type 'Tintin' into IMCDB, and discovered there were two live-action movies: Tintin et le mystère de la Toison d'Or (1961) and Tintin et les oranges bleues (1964).

57-03.jpg

i031242.jpg

i031240.jpg

i041819.jpg

kongisking

MinnesotaJones said:

pharaon.jpg

I greatly enjoyed the film. It was a blast, just classic Spielberg fun. I agree with all your words.

kongisking

Oh, and Minnesota Jones? You appear to have PMing disabled or something, 'cause I can't contact you to welcome you to the forum! ;)

Finn

Staff member
kongisking said:
Oh, and Minnesota Jones? You appear to have PMing disabled or something, 'cause I can't contact you to welcome you to the forum!
What, YOU have taken it up to act as our inofficial greeter? No wonder things have been slow.

kongisking

Finn said:
What, YOU have taken it up to act as our inofficial greeter? No wonder things have been slow.

Well, when I can, I do try to welcome newbies. I didn't see any thread for him, so I thought I'd PM him to welcome him. But it wasn't happening, strangely. I dunno, I found his username fascinating, as I live in Minnesota...

And Finn, just a question: why the snark? Did I do something wrong? :confused:

Le Saboteur

Dr. Gonzo said:
Change animation once and for all?

Motion capture certainly did do wonders for the animation industry when it debuted, but it's all about light field imaging technology these days. How it's eventually implemented in animation remains to be seen.

Moedred said:
It's a bit depressing that in North America, Chipmunks (a guy screwing around with a tape recorder!) is at $100M and Tintin is at $50M. I reckon Spielberg spent the past month wishing he could say "Yes! Tintin's the dog! It's a talking *&#% dog. And don't forget the talking horse movie."

It's just crept up to $76-million after a two-month theatrical run. I'm surprised it wasn't yanked out of theatres after a month. Fortunately it wasn't. And they finally got my $15.50 today.

Tintin-Movie-Pictures-First-Look-Captain-Haddock.jpg

Mille sabords!

Saw it. Thought it was a fantastic mash-up of Red Rackham's Treasure, The Secret of the Unicorn, and The Crab with the Golden Claws. The cameo by Hergé at the beginning was inspired. The film noir elements that Spielberg was aiming for blended together quite nicely with the traditional action-adventure aspect.

If there's one thing I would have liked more of, it's more time in exotic locales. Specifically, Bagghar. Despite the absolutely thrilling motorcycle chase that takes place through its streets a lot more could have been done with the locale a la Hergé.

It's not quite Indiana Jones and The Secret of the Unicorn, but it's close. While I no longer subscribe to the auteur theory, there is a lot of heart and joy on display during the movie and I suspect that at least some of that stems from Spielberg's belief/faith/enjoyment of the material.

Now I'm looking forward to see which of the 21 other books they mine for material, and what Peter Jackson can do with it. If Entertainment Weekly is to be believed, we won't have to wait long.

Entertainment Weekly said:
Jackson?s spokesperson confirmed to EW that he will direct the next Tintin film, swapping roles with Steven Spielberg, who will produce (Jackson produced the installment that came out last year; Spielberg directed). Much of the behind the scenes prep work, including building the digital sets, characters, and locations will happen while The Hobbit is shooting, he said.

Total Film: Spielberg Talks Tintin 2.

Steven Spielberg said:
"Peter, of course, is going to do it right after he finishes photography on The Hobbit. He?ll go right into the?performance capture.?

Good thing it hauled in three-hundred million plus in Europe and Elsewhere.

If you haven't had the chance to take in The Adventures of Tintin yet, I invite you to do so now. I expect it'll be gone soon since the video release date was just announced.

The Adventures debuts on video on March 13th in two Blu-ray editions -- a Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack designed to more closely replicate Tintin's original theatrical exhibition and a standard Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack.

Both editions present the film in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks alongside the following bonus supplements:

Eleven behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- Toasting Tintin: Part 1
- The Journey of Tintin
- The World of Tintin
- The Who's Who of Tintin
- Tintin: Conceptual Design
- Tintin: In the Volume
- Snowy: From Beginning to End
- Animating Tintin
- Tintin: The Score
- Collecting Tintin
- Toasting Tintin: Part 2

Stoo

Just watched this on a plane yesterday and enjoyed it.

Some of the animation was so well done that, at times, I forgot I was watching CGI characters (ex. the opera singer) and the rendering of all the clothing was simply jaw-dropping. All the action scenes were over-the-top in zaniness but it didn't detract from the fun and, while it was strange to see booze play such a prevelant role in a kid's film, I'm glad they didn't change the alcoholic aspect of Captain Haddock.

One nice touch was the caricature artist's sketch of Tintin at the beginning. Great tip o' the hat to Hergé.

If Spielberg & Jackson make another, I will be watching.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
One nice touch was the caricature artist's sketch of Tintin at the beginning. Great tip o' the hat to Hergé.

hergc3a9s-cameo.jpg

It was! Unfortunately it probably slipped past 95% of its North American audience.

I just watched it again on Blu-ray and the colors are absolutely phenomenal. Why they felt the need to muddy it up with 3D is beyond me.