Soundtracks?

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
Goodness me yes - Huston is one of my favourite American directors, and 'Man Who Would Be King' is his finest masterpiece. Gives me shivers just thinking of that end sequence. Nice one Stoo!
Speaking of which, when I first joined on here, a fellow member named Troger sent me the soundtrack for "The Man Who Would Be King" and then he just sort of vanished...Are you still out there, Troger?:confused:

Crack that whip said:
I also need to send someone something
I know you mean about procrastination:eek: and I've got to send something off, as well. Has anyone heard from fommes, lately? I sent him an e-mail awhile ago but he hasn't replied.

T.E. Lawrence said:
Edited: Compilation is sent
Thanks, T.E.! Will check it out.:hat:

On the track identification front:

RA_WELLOFSOULS_A2_QUI is from "Congo, January 1917/Oganga"! It's the part where Indy gets taken off the boat in a delirious state and is revived by Schwietzer in the camp (up until the point where he gets up at night and splits).

Both the LEGO spreadsheet and the Soundtrack Analysis spreadsheet have been updated. (Only 12 or so more LEGO tracks left to figure out...We're gettin' there!) Since Inexorable Tash is so good at coming up with titles for the new found pieces, that field was left blank for him to fill in.;) (Line 229 on the Soundtrack Analysis sheet.)

InexorableTash

Heh. Appropriate quotes might be "You're German", "I Can't Accept Your Surrender", or "If I Wanted You Dead". But "Delirious Indy" works for me.

Matinee Idyll

Wonderful stuff Lawrence, thankyou! That MWWBK soundtrack is superb.

It's just the case of a piece of music or song being adapted into a religious Hymn, it happens all the time - infact, I'm sure 'Jupiters Theme' by Gustav Holst was used as the basis for some of the music in 'London, 1916' too. I can't pinpoint exactly, but there are definitely echoes throughout McNeelys score.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoSW-OoZL00&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xoSW-OoZL00&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In 1921, Holst saw fit to add lyrics to the piece and it became a Hymn titled 'I Vow to Thee My Country'.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCt8sltJ-0Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rCt8sltJ-0Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Matinee Idyll

Did Wolfgang get a writing credit for 'Schweitzer Says Goodbye'?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxgmorK61YQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxgmorK61YQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

InexorableTash

Since I'm house-bound with a cold I went through Scandal of 1920 and added cue lists to the spreadsheet (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c&hl=en)

Nothing terribly exciting - OST#3 captures most of the music well:

* several classics ("When My Baby Smiles At Me", "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody", "It Seldom Comes True", "The Man I Love") which are not on the OST are "clean" on the DVD
* some extended mixes of themes (when Indy's racing between Peggy, Kate and Gloria for lunch and dinner)
* The second half of "Sounds Like Perfection To Me" from the OST is not on the DVD - it's only in the closing bookend of part 1 (thanks, StooTV!)
* "Rhapsody in Blue" is used repeatedly in several variants, but the full version from the OST is present only in the opening bookends of parts 1 and 2. The DVD has a different beginning, which is an extension/blend of themes.

Stoo

@T.E.: I already had the "Man Who Would Be King" soundtrack but thanks for the other stuff as well.:hat: Note that "Minstrel Boy" is used again in "Attack of the Hawkmen" when Indy & Remy go their separate ways. (Such a touching scene...sniff:() I must have watched the video of those 2 girls singing that Crack that whip posted about 50 times!

@Matinee: Yes, I can hear the similarities (more the Holst than the Mozart) but I'd say they are both influences. Nice discoveries. You have a great ear!(y) In '97(?), I saw a live performance of Holst's "The Planets" with Buzz Aldrin hosting/narrating at the Saratoga Perfroming Arts Center! It's an outdoor amphitheatre in a very lush, upstate NY setting and Hubble images were shown on a large screen. Ominous, to say the least...Great night! ("Mars, Bringer of War" has always been my favourite from that oeuvre.)

@Tash: Good going. I saw your updates on the sheet. The "Rhapsody in Blue" in the bookends has such a big and robust sound. What a splashy version. I love it! (Speaking of bookends, some of the Documentary End Credits have music that I initially dismissed as too generic/non-applicable but, after preparing #10 of the OIJC, they may require more listening.;))

On the subject of traditional/classical pieces by other composers within the show, there is a very famous piece in "Hawkmen" where the name eludes me. (In the Paris restaurant when Indy delivers the challenge note, it's playing for the dancing girls.) EVERYONE has heard this before. What is it?:confused:...and when von Richtofen sees his new tri-plane for the 1st time, music plays in the background (as if from a phonograph) that sounds like some classic, Germanic piece. Anyone know?

Along with the rousing rendition of "Garryowen" in Hawkmen there's another traditional war-time tune, "A Poor Aviator Lay Dying". Both of these songs have countless variations in the lyrics (with the latter also being known as "The Bold Aviator Lay Dying"). In Young Indy they sing "young aviator".

Further news...another LEGO track identified (1/2 of it anyway):
The 1st minute of TD_FREETHESLAVES_B_QUI is from "Attack of the Hawkmen" when von Richtofen lands his plane and demadns the army to release Indy to him as his prisoner. I'll update the sheet but am still stuck on the last 1/2 of that track.

Stoo

Just checked on the remainder of TD_FREETHESLAVES_B_QUI and we've already indentified it (2 separate parts of "Austria", Sixtus' Papers & To The Dungeon) so that puts that entire LEGO track in the bag!(y) All that's left is for Tash to come with a better title for the 1st minute than what I've suggested on the spreadsheet. ("Welcome to Germany" or "I've Never Bagged an American".)

I've also uncovered some more "Hawkmen" stuff but will get to that later...

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Just checked on the remainder of TD_FREETHESLAVES_B_QUI ... so that puts that entire LEGO track in the bag! All that's left is for Tash to come with a better title...

Hooray, Stoo! I can't top "Welcome to Germany" - perfect name for it.

Well done, that one was driving me nuts. The other two segments on my hit list are:

1:24-2:20 bgAudio (from the interactive timeline on the DVDs) - Peacock?
1:07-2:13 LC_AIRSHIP_B_QUI (trill at 1:19 and 1:50, drums at 2:02)

The last one is so distinct it should be easy but I just can't find it. Perhaps it's from Hawkmen too - the "sneaky/creepy" tone is the same.

After that I think we're down to < 30sec segments from LEGO and the DVD games, not counting any credit tracks. Any others in particular that have your eye?

fommes

Hey guys! good to be back - I had a lot of reading up to do - you've been busy! :)

I echo the thanks for the kind words Stoo!

Seems like you guys figured out pretty much everything. Really, really nice job!
Btw, I still hope to start on that editing guide I promised (actually, I'd started on Austria a while ago but things got in the way), but it'll be a busy year for me so I don't want to hold you up!
Anybody else still hoping for expanded soundtracks by the way? ;) Now that Paramount has been 'cracked' (ie they're willing to do deals with filmmusic labels to release scores), I'm hoping YIJC is at least on the table for discussion somewhere...

InexorableTash

fommes said:
Seems like you guys figured out pretty much everything. Really, really nice job!

Still plenty of tidbits to find.

As an aside, I had a go at mixing together Special Delivery DVD game's: Combat_005-1 and LEGO Indy's LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT; the former is the whole track, the latter is roughly the first 60 and last 60 seconds of the track. The former is poor quality (16kbps), the latter is high bit rate (192kbps?) but has some minor SFX. The result was... disappointing. Anyone else want to have a go?

I edited the LEGO spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtsZI4RnsK73cFpiZ2RrVDRFNE9kb0R2S2phZGZCWFE&hl=en to make the unidentified tracks more obvious (I like color coding!) and the identified tracks more consistently detailed. (Stoo, opinions?)

fommes said:
Anybody else still hoping for expanded soundtracks by the way? ;) Now that Paramount has been 'cracked' (ie they're willing to do deals with filmmusic labels to release scores), I'm hoping YIJC is at least on the table for discussion somewhere...

Though it would be nice, I'm not holding out any hope. Regardless of willingness, the amount of effort required (person-days) vs. the potential revenue doesn't make it likely. Well... what sort of deals are being done? Are the music labels just paying up-front for the raw tracks, and taking on the rest of the work?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
* The second half of "Sounds Like Perfection To Me" from the OST is not on the DVD - it's only in the closing bookend of part 1 (thanks, StooTV!)
* "Rhapsody in Blue" is used repeatedly in several variants, but the full version from the OST is present only in the opening bookends of parts 1 and 2. The DVD has a different beginning, which is an extension/blend of themes.
We also have fommes to thank for certain pieces of the "Scandal" bookends. Without him, we would not have the opening exterior shots of Part 2. RARE!:hat:
Inexorable Tash said:
Well done, that one was driving me nuts. The other two segments on my hit list are:

1:24-2:20 bgAudio (from the interactive timeline on the DVDs) - Peacock?
1:07-2:13 LC_AIRSHIP_B_QUI (trill at 1:19 and 1:50, drums at 2:02)

The last one is so distinct it should be easy but I just can't find it. Perhaps it's from Hawkmen too - the "sneaky/creepy" tone is the same.
Since I know you've already had a look at my "Hawkmen" updates, your query about LC_AIRSHIP_B_QUI has already been answered but the "bgAudio" portion remains a mystery. (After figuring out the former, I noticed that it had already been identified on the spreadsheet by either you or myself.:eek:) All that's left to figure out in LC_AIRSHIP_B_QUI are the 6 seconds between 1:08-1:14. I won't bother mentioning the other "Hawkmen" discoveries because you've been confirming them on the sheet.

Will post my "hit list";) soon but want to go over things to make sure that none of it has already been identified. I am stumped on several tracks.
fommes said:
Anybody else still hoping for expanded soundtracks by the way?
Not holding my breath for them but I was just watching one of the DVD documentaries and there is music (w/narration) that is NOT part of the credits/LEGO/game tracks!:eek:
Inexorable Tash said:
I edited the LEGO spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...GZCW FE&hl=en to make the unidentified tracks more obvious (I like color coding!) and the identified tracks more consistently detailed. (Stoo, opinions?)
Being a detail freak, I'm all for colour coding. I haven't looked at your revisions on the spread sheet yet but my *personal* notes during this whole affair are colour-coded as follows:

Identified
02-05 Secs. Unidentified
10-15 Secs. Unidentified
20-45 Secs. Unidentified
45 Secs.+ Unidentified
Unidentified

P.S. Tash, what's with the American spelling of "colour"? Have you forgotten your roots?:p

fommes

Hmm, I don't seem to have 'Bgaudio' - is that part of a new pack of files?

And on the looks of it, those seconds in LC Airship seem to belong to the second part of the track, as the spreadsheet says - or am I missing something?

fommes

InexorableTash said:
As an aside, I had a go at mixing together Special Delivery DVD game's: Combat_005-1 and LEGO Indy's LC_ESCAPE_D_ACT; the former is the whole track, the latter is roughly the first 60 and last 60 seconds of the track. The former is poor quality (16kbps), the latter is high bit rate (192kbps?) but has some minor SFX. The result was... disappointing. Anyone else want to have a go?

I'm having trouble editing this together in Audacity - I think because the frequency and/or sample rate is different. Would you know how to deal with this?

InexorableTash

fommes said:
Hmm, I don't seem to have 'Bgaudio' - is that part of a new pack of files?

From my draft editing doc:

The Interactive Timeline on each [Interactive Bonus] disc is an HTML/Flash application. It contains an MP3 file: \common\Timeline\Assets\mp3\bgAudio.mp3 (3:33 @ 128kbps).

fommes said:
And on the looks of it, those seconds in LC Airship seem to belong to the second part of the track, as the spreadsheet says - or am I missing something?

If you mean LC_AIRSHIP_B_QUI you're just reading out of order. I lamented being unable to identify the track, and Stoo figured it out and updated the spreadsheet. We already had a slightly shorter and less clear version of that part of the episode in another track; foolishly, I was ignoring sequences in the episode we'd already found.

InexorableTash

fommes said:
I'm having trouble editing this together in Audacity - I think because the frequency and/or sample rate is different. Would you know how to deal with this?

Hrm, Audacity is what I used as well. Normally I use GoldWave for audio editing, but it lacks the multi-track abilities. Here's roughly what I did:

* Opened up both tracks in Audacity.
* Moved the longer (DVD) track to the top (as the reference)
* Zoomed in and aligned the second track to the first (it doesn't have the leading silence)
* Panned one to the left, the other to the right, put on headphones, and played a segment on loop until I had them adjusted precisely.
* Scrolled over to about the minute mark where the tracks diverge
* Selected the second half of the shorter (LEGO) track
* Used Edit > Split to make a third track
* Slid that one over until it aligned. Again, used panning and looped playback to get them aligned.

Hooray, now they're lined up - now to edit them. The sequence I ended up using were (1) LEGO (about a minute), then (2) crossfade to DVD, (3) DVD for about 50 , then (4) crossfade back to LEGO, (5) LEGO for about a minute, (6) crossfade back to DVD for the ending (sustains a bit longer)

To do the crossfades:

* Select a time range in one track
* Select Effects > Cross Fade Out
* Use Edit > Save Selection
* Switch to the second track
* Use Edit > Restore Selection
* Select Effects > Cross Fade In

And finally, in the segment you don't want - i.e. the DVD track during the time of the LEGO track halves, segments 1 and 5 - select and apply Edit > Silence to the track.

fommes

Wow, you're doing things the hard way I'd say. :)
In Audacity, you can also just import the four 'tracks' you need (lego, DVD, lego, DVD), align them, and then do things manually using the button with the blue line on it, which easily lets you silence the superfluous parts, fade in and out, mix, etc. without much ado. I hope this method makes the whole process slightly easier and faster for you!

I think I've just solved my problem, I just need to export it anyway and then it does sound correctly I think (the problem I had was that the sound didn't do what the screen says). I just saw you can also just resample the original DVD file first, and then use that, to be on the safe side. Should work now.

What did you mean by 'disappointing' by the way?

InexorableTash

fommes said:
Wow, you're doing things the hard way I'd say. :)
In Audacity, you can also just import the four 'tracks' you need (lego, DVD, lego, DVD), align them, and then do things manually using the button with the blue line on it, which easily lets you silence the superfluous parts, fade in and out, mix, etc. without much ado. I hope this method makes the whole process slightly easier and faster for you!
The envelope tool? Yeah... alas, it doesn't do the crossfades across the tracks smoothly.

fommes said:
What did you mean by 'disappointing' by the way?

To my ear, having both tracks together amplified the worst parts (SFX, low bit rate) rather than the best parts (high bit rate, full track length). Perhaps you'll have better luck tweaking it?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
I edited the LEGO spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtsZI4RnsK73cFpiZ2RrVDRFNE9kb0R2S2phZGZCWFE&hl=en to make the unidentified tracks more obvious (I like color coding!) and the identified tracks more consistently detailed. (Stoo, opinions?)
It looks good, Tash. I'm all for consistency and regimented catalogues of information. The only suggestion would be to tighten up the columns somehow or move some of the irrelevant information (for this project anyway) to the left. I have a 17" monitor so can see the whole width of the sheet but when using a minimized window, it's a pain to scroll left/right to make sure I'm on the correct track. Just a thought.:)

Re: Track I.D. Hit List
I've been concentrating on the LEGO tracks to get those out of the way before tackling the rest. Will provide my hit list on the LEGO sheet right after this.

DAMN, there's a lot of stuff! We've made such great headway, though. It must the Indy-type-puzzle-solving aspect within us.:p I wonder if the LEGO 2 game will bring anything new because it looks like "Staff of Kings" didn't yield anything that we don't already have. Or is that still to be determined?

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
It looks good, Tash. I'm all for consistency and regimented catalogues of information. The only suggestion would be to tighten up the columns somehow or move some of the irrelevant information (for this project anyway) to the left. I have a 17" monitor so can see the whole width of the sheet but when using a minimized window, it's a pain to scroll left/right to make sure I'm on the correct track. Just a thought.:)

I went in today and hid a bunch of the redundant columns (which were just data extracted from the game's config file) - it should be easier to view now.

Stoo said:
...it looks like "Staff of Kings" didn't yield anything that we don't already have. Or is that still to be determined?

Unfortunately, I can't contribute an opinion here. The PSP has a completely different score which has been ripped, but I haven't seen rips of the Wii/PS2/DS versions - just the tracks released by Haab and Harman on their web sites.