What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

Silvor

With the huge amount of marketing Ford has been doing for The Force Awakens I'm starting to wonder if those rumors about him only doing Star Wars if he got another Indy from a few years back might actually have some truth to them.

I mean he was basically on ALL the talk shows leading up to the movie and now he's doing the rounds AGAIN for the bluray release!
That's Harrison Ford, one of the most famous actors in the world doing pr for a bluray release.

I've never seen him do this much press for any movie before, the closes would be Crystal Skull.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
I've never seen him do this much press for any movie before, the closes would be Crystal Skull.

I have my own theory on this, and I agree it's too much. Very disconcerting.

Udvarnoky

I think committing to promotional tours is often part of an actor's contract. The contract Ford negotiated on The Force Awakens guaranteed him $25 million plus a 0.5% share of the revenue (considerably more than anyone else involved), so of course Disney is going to expect the right to prop him in front of every camera possible in exchange. The fact that he's one of the world's most famous actors is very much the point. They're paying for his image.

Silvor

Udvarnoky said:
I think committing to promotional tours is often part of an actor's contract. The contract Ford negotiated on The Force Awakens guaranteed him $25 million plus a 0.5% share of the revenue (considerably more than anyone else involved), so of course Disney is going to expect the right to prop him in front of every camera possible in exchange. The fact that he's one of the world's most famous actors is very much the point. They're paying for his image.
You make a good point here, though one would wonder if Ford would agree to all that press seeing as he does struggle with social anxiety. But of course it could just be the money :D

Stoo

Silvor said:
He's never done this sort of thing before, not even for an animated movie.
Well, he did in 1978 for Nelvana's animation in "The Star Wars Holiday Special". ;)

IndyForever

Ford refused to provide voiceovers for the Lucasarts Indiana Jones games! Perhaps he has changed his stance on this now as he has a young son who plays games.

Silvor

Z dweller said:
Odd, Han Solo's voice in that video sounds nothing like Ford to me, but I guess we'll have to take their word for it.
It sounded like him to me, especially "about time you showed up" line.
Anyway here's an interview with one of the developers in which they confirm it's Ford himself. Along with Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, and even Max Von Sydow.

IndyForever

Moedred said:
Sean Connery did it in 2005.

Ford refused previously, or just wasn't approached?
He was approached it was in an old Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine from the early 1990s sorry I cannot remember which one they mentioned Ford refused to provide voiceovers when someone asked the developers why he did not do the voiceovers on Fate Of Atlantis & the 3D Indy games. The official line was he was too busy but the unofficial line was he at the time felt games were juvenile so was not interested in the voiceover work.

The scanned interview used to be on one of the now defunct Lucasarts fan sites they had comprehensive details on the Lucasarts Indy games but its all long gone.

If anyone has the 1992-1995 Lucasfilm Fan Club magazines its somewhere in there when they talk about re-releasing the games on CD-Rom!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
IndyForever said:
He was approached it was in an old Lucasfilm Fan Club magazine from the early 1990s sorry I cannot remember which one they mentioned Ford refused to provide voiceovers when someone asked the developers why he did not do the voiceovers on Fate Of Atlantis & the 3D Indy games. The official line was he was too busy but the unofficial line was he at the time felt games were juvenile.

There are other stories re: Ford refusing voice over work as Indy. I remember reading some where in a thread that he had issues when he was to record for the Indy ride and pretty much refused since. Some sort of disagreement with Disney at the time. Which would have lead to him refusing FOA and others.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
IndyForever said:
1992-1995 Lucasfilm Fan Club magazines its somewhere in there
This is a wild guess estimate, but Fate of Atlantis probably has 50x the dialogue and studio time as Infernal Machine, which clocks in at 36 minutes total. (Sorry the link doesn't currently work.) That would discourage a high paid actor.

Major West

By all accounts he didn't like acting in Blade Runner much either. It wasn't exactly a harmonious set for most involved.