"Which avatar should I use?" - A Thread for Everybody

The Drifter

Can anyone help me out? I am stuck at a crossroads. I love my avatar. I have grown used to it over the months, but I see three others that I want.
If you'll look at the avatars, and look at the ones in the 1,000 post-count mark. You'll see one with Marcus Brody with his hat on, the Shaman, and the Australian Climber. I love all three of those also!
My question is this; should I keep my avatar, and if not; which of the other three should I choose?

Thank you.

Morning Bell

I'd say just alternate them every few months. That way you can use all of them and see which one you'd want to use long-term.

Jorbex

If you really want to try a new one, I'd say go with the alternate Marcus; that way it'll be a change but it'll still be "you".:)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Me? I love people using something that nobody else does, which immediately says to me that you should change it to something new.

All three of these fit the bill, of course. You seem to have a fondness for Marcus, so I'd say that; although I think it's also a lot less likely that anyone else would ever claim the Climber or the Shaman, regardless of the fact that The Man used to use the latter.

In fact, if you come across this thread: what happened to the avatar, The Man? Seems a shame for someone so prolific to go without. (Especially someone who doesn't use an Indy avatar, which I applaud.)

Ultimately, I say pick something I stick to it. I feel like the point of avatars is negated somewhat if you keep changing it, barring cases when you've moved up and earned a higher level.

The Drifter

I shall miss my Marcus Brody avatar, but Atilla is right. I want a change, but I also want one that not many users have. I do not even recall seeing a user with my new avatar. Have you?

Finn

Staff member
As a completely offshoot note, in the future, could any of you please title a thread like this a little more descriptively?

...I'm sure the judge would have been understanding...

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
In fact, if you come across this thread: what happened to the avatar, The Man? Seems a shame for someone so prolific to go without. (Especially someone who doesn't use an Indy avatar, which I applaud.)

Yeah, I took it off yesterday while fiddling with my profile and forgot to put it back on. I may revert to using one of the good ol' Mola...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Responding to a post in another thread...

Stoo said:
Raiders112390 should get an avatar. I'm curious to see what he chooses. 4 more posts and James can pick one, too...:)

Indeed. He, along with a few others, is one of our most prominent members that doesn't have one. You've got to respect that on some level, but I'd love to see what each of them would choose to represent himself.

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
Ive used Satipo for a long long long time..... I will only switch him out for Jock

That's how I know when you post, 'hachi. You've been using that avatar since I first joined.
And, after I re-read this thread; I don't think that I'll ever get rid of my avatar.

DiscoLad

It's only been like what, 1 year?:dead:
Heck the threads cold but lets just pop a defribrillator on this sucker. :sleep:

CLEAR!(y)

I would switch my avatar to the real Monkey Man but i've seen it around and I wish to be unique... :(
Hmm.... perhaps it is time to change the 'Lad.

You know, looking around I don't see many Finn or A. Prof. avatar copies anywhere... Hmm...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
That's how I know when you post, 'hachi. You've been using that avatar since I first joined.
And, after I re-read this thread; I don't think that I'll ever get rid of my avatar.

I definitely agree...which I now realize is unsurprising, since you partly came around to that position because of what I said last year.

I rarely need to look over to the left, because my eyes flash over the avatars and I'm able to tell. There's a few folks who cause trouble - the whole Brotherhood, I suppose, but it's still usually Rocket Surgeon; and Montana and roundshort, but Montana is around much more frequently, and they have different styles - but by and large, it's an effective system.

Just to catalog this, these are the currently repeated avatars in the top 50 posters:

Staff of Kings Indy (2)
Head Tilted Raiders Marcus (2)
Indiana the Dog (3)

And then, in the next 50, we add:
Young (Corey Carrier) Indy in pith helmet (2)
Raiders Indy (2)
indy_35.gif

Panama Hat Belloq (2 - though one is a mod, and hence in blue)
Idol-regarding Indy (2 - same situation as the above)
Cruciform Sword symbol (3)
Vanity Fair Spalko (2)

It's possible I've missed one or two variant Indy avatars in this - they do run together, somewhat. And, of course, none of this is a directive from the staff, not in the least; it's just interesting. Also, a lot more duplicates, even triplicates, arise once we're looking at the 150 posters with the most posts; again, almost all of these are Indy variants.

Make your mark! We'll remember you!

Last edited:

The Drifter

May I ask, Attila; who else has the "Head-Titled-Raiders-Marcus?". I only ever recall seeing one other chap. But, I've never seen them post that much.
And, yes, your words that you spoke last year <b>and</b> because I am so attached to this dumb avatar lead me to not ever change it (Until I can get my hands on that bearded Indy avvy!).
But, even then I doubt that I will change. Marcus is my favorite character from the movies, and I just like this plain ole avatar.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
May I ask, Attila; who else has the "Head-Titled-Raiders-Marcus?". I only ever recall seeing one other chap. But, I've never seen them post that much.
And, yes, your words that you spoke last year <b>and</b> because I am so attached to this dumb avatar lead me to not ever change it (Until I can get my hands on that bearded Indy avvy!).

Jay R. Zay is the other one in the Top 100, but he hasn't posted since Halloween 2006.

By the way, if you don't know how to take any easy look at this list, you can just click on the posts column after going to Members List. Or you can just click here.

The Drifter

Attila the Professor said:
Jay R. Zay is the other one in the Top 100, but he hasn't posted since Halloween 2006.

By the way, if you don't know how to take any easy look at this list, you can just click on the posts column after going to Members List. Or you can just click here.

Yup; Jay R. Zay was the one I was thinking of. And, thanks for the link. I have been wondering how one can look at the top posters, but never knew how.