Who would you like as Indiana Jones 5 composer?

curmudgeon

Raiders112390 said:
When is the last time Williams put out any score as memorable as his scores for Indy, Star Wars, Jaws, or Jurassic Park? Maybe 1999 or the early 2000s?

That's almost a trick question, since he's done considerably fewer films since the mid 00's. In fact, he's only done seven in the last decade... two of which were Force Awakens and Crystal Skull (and therefor count among the series you already listed.)

Out of the remaining recent stuff, I'd say Tintin came closest to pop culture success, but not nearly to the level you're talking about. Lincoln was the most lauded in critical and award terms. I might be able to recognize one or both if they were playing somewhere, but I doubt most people would.

Otherwise... probably Harry Potter and Catch Me if you Can are his last truly, widely recognizable scores. Both were around '01-'02.

Olliana

Judging by his scores for Indy 4, Star Wars VII and VIII, what do you guys think? You still want him to do another Indy score or should someone else take the reins?

curmudgeon

Olliana said:
Judging by his scores for Indy 4, Star Wars VII and VIII, what do you guys think? You still want him to do another Indy score or should someone else take the reins?

Do I still want any little scrap of new content I can get from this 86-year old treasure while still walks the Earth? Yes.

Yes, yes, even if it has to be bundled within a film riddled with quotes and callbacks.

Olliana

Yeah, I hope he can end his Indy run on a high note as well and come up with a few new memorable themes. When I think of Temple of Doom, I instantly hear it's tunes in my head, like Short Round's theme and Slave Children's Crusade, Anything Goes. Same with Last Crusade, I can hear the Grail theme or the Scherzo for Motorcycle. When I think of Skull though, I can't think of anything special or outstanding.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Henry Jones VII said:
Alexander Desplat

Much too classical for an adventure movie:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cl2mY361sgo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seasider

I think a better question would be who should be the Indy composer post Indy 5. Unless his health is in serious decline in the next couple of years, there's no way Indy 5 gets made without John Williams.

Besides the composers mentioned, I think Alan Silvestri would be good fit. He most recently collaborated with Spielberg on Ready Player One and is also doing Avengers: Infinity War. But if Spielberg wants a younger composer. A couple of options off the top of my head.

Harry Gregson-Williams (Gone Baby Gone, Cowboys and Aliens, The Martian)

A.R Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours, The Hundred Foot Journey)

Agreed about Joel McNeely. He proved to be a good Williams successor on Shadows of the Empire soundtrack while adding his own flavor.

Last edited: