Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Drones33

doppelganger said:
Cant re-vote but I now have a cotton wested. Love the fit so its a pre distressed wested raiders on its way tomorrow.

Pics of the cotton jacket are in my Indy gear section if anyone is interested.
The cotton Wested looks really nice. Wife thinks I should get one for the summer since I insist on wearing an Indy jacket all year round. Maybe next year.
You must let us know what you think of your pre distressed Raiders when it arrives. Can't go wrong with Wested (y)

Glenville86

I recently ordered a Wested Raiders jacket in black cowhide. The reason being is I have some black ankle boots that I almost never wear now as my Indy jackets are all shades of brown.

I don't like to mix different leather colors. I am old school where I wear black boots, black jacket, and black belt. Fedora can be black or any shade of grey. Same with browns. :)

Back in the day, I only had one pair of boots and one leather jacket and did not care. Having more clothing items now, I have to match.......:eek:

Texan Scott

I have owned most all the jacket offerings out there. A few of the most notable are the BK, and if you have one of the first generation Todd's jackets, those are probably his best. The leather he offers is more accurate today. Combine that with the old pattern, and you would have quite the jacket. His was arguably about the best deal for the money. Disappointed by the TN, owned two but the pocket snaps, etc., kept popping off. Thick hides too. One of the best Raiders I ever saw was a TN.

Used to have more than I needed, so I sold most all of them but have since paired it down to 3: G&B goat, a LC-ish Wested copper novapelle, and a Wested old stock shrunken lamb. The SL was dyed darker than those previous. It is very much like Peter described: veg tanned in the rough and pegged out to dry. So stiff it might stand up in the corner. Substantial leather. Caught a rainstorm recently and its breaking in nicely.

Glenville86

I have a BK as well. Everything I read said the BK in SL was "The Jacket" but while I think it is a good jacket with excellent leather, it really does not impress me any more than some of my other jackets.

Drones33

Custom made Last Crusade

Got this a few months ago from Wested; a custom made Last Crusade in copper novapelle. This is the first time I`d got one made to measure, and the difference is remarkable. The fit is great, as expected since its to my own specifications, but the thing that struck me most is the copper novapelle hide. Whilst its thick and very heavy, its also extremely soft giving it some really nice folds and creases in the arms and at the back. And the colour is tremendous; it has a deep, multi-tonal brown with, as the name suggests, coppery highlights around the seams and edges. If you`re thinking of investing in a jacket from Wested, I`d recommend paying that bit extra to have one custom made. In fact I was so impressed Ive ordered the Wested Raiders Hero in shrunken lamb. Very excited about that. Hope it arrives in time for my Christmas night out with the lads (y)
novapelle_1_by_00177840-d9j7so1.jpg

novapelle_3_by_00177840-d9j7sx7.jpg

novapelle_2_by_00177840-d9j7ssb.jpg

Major West

I really like the look of that Copper Novapelle (y)

That still looks like an authentic colour to have on an Indy Jacket. (y) :gun:

Tempted for for my next jacket to maybe go with that leather.

Drones33

You won't be disappointed. It was quite pale when I first got it, almost dusty looking, but it's been rained on a few times since then, and I treated it with Pecards quite recently. Darkened it down nicely and, though it doesn't quite show up in the photos, really brought out the coppery brown under tones. (y)

Major West

My most recent jacket is a Wested Temple of Doom in Authentic Lambskin. Had it a few weeks. Size 42" Chest. 26 back, 25 sleeve (which is a tad too long, shoulda been a 24)

Both outer pockets get used all the time. The visible one on the left I keep my phone in, and due to the smaller pockets of the ToD jacket the flap does not close over it, in fact the flap sticks up straight. In the other IJ jackets of course the phone fits in the pocket and the flap closes.(y)

Also, different lighting of course make the jacket look slightly different.

TEMPLEJACKET.jpg

Glenville86

My most recent Indy was an off the rack Raiders in distressed cowhide. I had one in the same leather awhile back that was in the sale section (Raiders Hero Jacket). I just did not like the fit of the Wested Hero and donated it to charity.

The old one was weird it that the leather almost looked spotted throughout the jacket. Light base with multiple dark spots.

The OTR one I just got is a uniform shade and looks like what a US Wings distressed cowhide/steerhide looks like. Way better looking leather on the batch the new Wested was made with.

Major West

The sale Westeds are custom returns, so I reckon you'd be extremely lucky to get one that was a 100% good fit for you.

I've got an OTR Raiders and Crusade, both good fits. The ToD is custom, also a good fit. My measurements.

Drones33

Major West said:
My most recent jacket is a Wested Temple of Doom in Authentic Lambskin. Had it a few weeks. Size 42" Chest. 26 back, 25 sleeve (which is a tad too long, shoulda been a 24)

Both outer pockets get used all the time. The visible one on the left I keep my phone in, and due to the smaller pockets of the ToD jacket the flap does not close over it, in fact the flap sticks up straight. In the other IJ jackets of course the phone fits in the pocket and the flap closes.(y)

Also, different lighting of course make the jacket look slightly different.

Great looking jacket Major, you wear it well :hat:

Bookman that's some nice weathering you have there.

Major West

This is my OTR 42" Wested Raiders jacket in Brown Authentic Lambskin. However it's not the same material as the Brown authentic Lambskin on my LC and ToD jackets, both of which are much thicker and heavier leather. The lambskin on this Raiders jacket is very thin and bendy. The sleeves are like wearing leather shirt sleeves almost. It's very lightweight. Unzipped it just hangs off my torso. I wondered if it was actually Dark Brown Lambskin which I understand is thinner than Authentic Lambskin, but then why did they make an OTR Raiders jacket in that skin when they advertise Authentic Brown Lambskin? Not complaining at all, it's a great jacket and I like it. Just wanted to know what the leather actually is. Thoughts?

20151214_144001.jpg

Drones33

I think you may be right. Even in the photos its clear that your ToD is much thicker-looking. Wonder if its simply down to a particular batch of hide they used. Do you have a preference; the thicker of the thinner?

Drones33

Shrunken Lamb Hero...

I`d very much appreciate your opinions here gentlemen. As I previously mentioned, I was so impressed with the custom made Last Crusade I got from Wested in February, I recently ordered the Hero Raiders in shrunken lamb. It arrived on friday and I must say, at first I wasn`t sure about it at all. To the point where I seriously considered returning it. I was well aware that it has a different shape to the more compemporary cut of the Wested jackets I`m familiar with. What hadn`t occurred to me however was just how very different the shape is and how that would impact the sizing, despite having ordered it with exactly the same measurements as my custom LC. For example the 24 inch sleeves, which fit perfectly on the LC, were now past my knuckles due to the fact that it hangs off the shoulders.(Ive had to fold them up by about an inch and a half, will have to get them altered.). Indeed, the generally slouchy shape means that the jacket appears considerably longer than I expected or am used to, and the fit is quite loose, almost feels too big.
So, I was very tempted to get rid. And then... completely changed my mind. Ive worn it for two days, and it is I have to say extremely comfortable, very lightweight and soft. It got rained on quite heavily yesterday, and already its beginning to take on a lived-in look, and the texture and grain of the shrunken lambskin are beautiful. So I think with a bit of getting used to this`ll be a keeper. What do you boys think though, too big? Too long?
shrunken_lamb_hero_by_00177840-d9k4q6t.jpg

shrunken_lamb_hero_2_by_00177840-d9k4qda.jpg

shrunken_lamb_hero3_by_00177840-d9k4qjb.jpg

shrunken_lambskin_hero_6_by_00177840-d9k4xfa.jpg

Last edited:

Major West

I think it looks fine Drones33. The shrunken leather turned out well on that. The fit doesn't look odd at all (for the hero). Or the length which I recall from stills I was looking at recently for Raiders, side pockets should sit about halfway down the trouser belt so that's accurate. Definitely keep it.:hat:

I know what what you mean about the sleeves though, I had exactly the same problem with the ToD jacket. Hadn't accounted for the shoulder hang, but the rest of jacket and leather turned out well so I thought I'd fix the sleeves at a later date.

Re my Jacket, yes I think it is either dark brown lambskin or maybe it was a jacket they still had in stock from before they switched to using the thicker authentic lambskin. Which do I prefer, if it was one or the other I'd prefer the thicker Authentic, however the lighter skin is very comfortable to wear, it just feels a bit delicate. So I'd probably wear it more in the summer and the thicker authentic LC & ToD ones in colder weather climates.

Last edited:

Mickiana

Yes, it looks a bit too big for an Indy jacket. It is hanging off you, especially at the shoulders and at the back. But it depends on what you are happy with. If it feels good and you don't mind not being so screen accurate.....

Glenville86

I order all my Wested Indy jackets with a 28-inch back and one size up. The back of my jackets fall about 3-inches below my belt. The one size up keeps the jacket from being snug which I like personally.

It just depends on what you like. ;)