The Ke Huy Quan (Short Round) Celebrity Watch

Goonie

indyfan85 said:
Hey maybe we'll run into eachother :hat:

It looks like it will be a lot of fun. I've actually never been out to Astoria before but isn't that where they shot Kindergarten Cop as well? :D

I haven't been to Astoria since 1985 when I was 6 years old. I don't remember much but I do remember Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock just south of Astoria.

Yes, Kindergarten Cop was filmed there, along with
Short Circuit
one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies (I think it was the 3rd one)
as well as other movies.

Montana Smith

indyfan85 said:
I was too young to pay attention to reviewers, which is why I mentioned the nostalgia factor in the rest of my post.

Then you were the perfect age to appreciate the film, as opposed to the reviewers. ;)

indyfan85

Funny thing is I am still finding it hard to pay attention to reviewers these days (KOTCS, anyone) must be that adult onset ADD :hat:

Montana Smith

indyfan85 said:
Funny thing is I am still finding it hard to pay attention to reviewers these days (KOTCS, anyone) must be that adult onset ADD :hat:

That's the trouble with reviewers - movies are intensely personal and a reviewer is filling airtime or column space with their own personal views. :hat:

Short Round's portrayer reflects on 'Temple of Doom' adventure

Originaly posted by KAREN BUTLER

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- Jonathan Ke Quan, the Saigon-born actor who played the adorable, pint-sized sidekick Short Round to Harrison Ford's titular archaeologist in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," says the 1984 action picture was every bit as much fun to make as it is to watch.

"It was my first movie, so I'd never been on a movie set before and we went to these beautiful, exotic locations," the 41-year-old former child star told United Press International in a recent phone interview.

"It was very different making movies back then versus making movies today. We shot a lot of the movie in London and they built these amazing sets. It wasn't blue screen," he noted. "Everything was built. Everything was fantastical, so for a kid to be a part of that was amazing. It was like a playground. The only thing I didn't like as a kid was I was required to do a minimum of 3 hours of schoolwork everyday and there was a tutor on set. But every day I was so looking forward to going on the set and seeing how they make the movie. So, it was just fantastic. It was like play time. It was fun all the way."

The newly restored 1982 picture "Raiders of the Lost Ark," as well as the 1984 prequel "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," and sequels "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" [1989] and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" [2008] were all released on Blu-ray for the first time last week. In addition to the blockbusters,

the "Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures" set also includes 7 hours of documentaries, featurettes, and interviews with cast members and filmmakers Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Among the highlights on the Blu-ray collection is the new two-part documentary called "On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark." Part 1 is "From Jungle to Desert" and Part 2 is "From Adventure to Legend."

Asked if it seems odd to be talking about "Temple of Doom" nearly three decades after he made it, Kuan told UPI: "It is. It's very surreal. It seems like everywhere I go, people always talk about 'Indiana Jones' and I realized over the years it has made a huge impact on their childhoods. ... I feel very fortunate to be a part of this."

Kuan, who also appeared in the 1985 Spielberg-produced family flick "The Goonies" and as a teen in the TV sitcom "Head of the Class," confessed he didn't realize at the time he was making "Temple of Doom" how famous Ford, Spielberg and Lucas were.

"I didn't know it was a sequel to 'Raiders.' And at that time I hadn't seen 'Star Wars' or 'E.T.' or 'Jaws,' so I didn't know how big they were until way after the movie," Kuan recalled.

"Back then, I was so innocent and naive," he added. "We made the movie in 1983 and I had just gotten to the [United] States not long before, so I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of movies. I didn't know how famous Steven, George and Harrison were at the time. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. All I knew was we were going to make this amazing movie, go on this very fun adventure with the warmest family you can imagine. I didn't know it was going to be this huge movie the following year."

The actor went on to graduate from the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts. Now married and an accomplished martial artist, he has worked as a stunt choreographer for the films "X-Men" and "The One."

So, was it a conscious decision to move away from acting once he became a young adult?

"I always loved acting, but when you get older and you're going through adolescence, the roles are limited," he explained. "That's one reason and another reason is that I always found being behind the camera more satisfying. As a kid, I always wanted to be like Spielberg and to make wonderful movies. Even when I was making 'Indiana Jones,' I was looking at how he would come up with these amazing shots and how he would choreograph the blocking and all that. So I knew from early on I would go to film school and try to work behind the camera."

Questioned about whether he was asked to reprise his role of Short Round in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," Kuan confirmed there was some talk about it, "But it didn't work out."

"One day I got a call that Steven would like me to come in and do a cameo, so I don't know what the cameo was or what I was supposed to do, but there was talk of a cameo."

Although he said he hasn't seen "Temple of Doom" in its entirety for years, catching only clips of it on TV now and then, he said he is looking forward to seeing it in its new high-definition incarnation.

"I can't wait to see it on Blu-ray," he said. "I heard it looks amazing."

Brooke Logan

I would like to see Short Round come back in a cameo, but with Willie Scott as well.

As for The Goonies, I liked that movie!:)

Joosse

I had the good fortune to be able to meet Ke Huy Quan at the Amsterdam Comic Con this weekend. He was incredibly charming and sweet during our photo op together.

hcY2MDs.jpg

For the convention I wasn’t wearing an Indy outfit this time, but one of my Han Solo outfits from Magnoli Clothiers. I myself don’t look to great on the picture if you ask me, because that day I was suffering from a heat stroke and felt about as good as mister Ford did the day they shot the fightscene on the Cairo market… :sick:

The next day I was feeling somewhat better and I brought along my ‘Archeology studies in America and abroad’ for him to sign, the same way that John Rhys Davies had too.

N2wmzFi.jpg

He admired the book and asked me what my favourite Short Round quote was…

g4xxoUR.jpg

It made him laugh and he said he really liked that one too.

After that we had a nice little chat and he told me how much he liked Amsterdam and how nice the Dutch people were. Being Dutch myself, I could only agree with him.

All in all a great experience with a wonderful actor, who if you ask me has been in way to few movies.

Finn

Staff member
Joosse said:
Yeah, like I said, I was suffering from a heat stroke...
I meant Mr. Quan, actually.

You look like a middle-aged guy in a shirt and a vest.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Quan retells the story of meeting Ford last month.

The most meaningful interaction came in September at Disney’s starry D23 convention, where Quan went to promote his role in the coming season of the Marvel series “Loki.” Harrison Ford was there touting the fifth “Indiana Jones” film, due next year, and though Quan worried his old co-star wouldn’t recognize him, the actor turned, pointed and said, “Are you Short Round?” “Yes, Indy,” Quan replied. And as they embraced, memories came flooding back from the beginning of Quan’s career, which has now regained its initial promise. “How often does a man in his 50s get a chance like this? How often do actors get a second act?” Quan asked. “I really hope that if people are reading my story, it gives them hope, it gives them courage to give voice to that dream they once had. It’s so difficult to be an actor in this business, and I want those people who are doubting themselves or have dreams fading away because they think it’s not going to happen …” Quan grew too emotional to finish his thought and swallowed, collecting himself. “Anyway,” he said.

Lance Quazar

Ke Huy Quan wins the Golden Globe!

And gives a shout-out to fellow nominee in the crowd, Steven Spielberg.

His speech was charming, touching and heartfelt.

Congratulations on your well-deserved recognition! So glad to have you back in the game!

Lance Quazar

Ke Huy Quan wins the Golden Globe!

And gives a shout-out to fellow nominee in the crowd, Steven Spielberg.

His speech was charming, touching and heartfelt.

Congratulations on your well-deserved recognition! So glad to have you back in the game!
Really? Thread merge?

Come on. Doesn't Mr. Quan deserve a dedicated thread for this??

Sigh.