Young Indy Media Guide ? Bibliography and Filmography

Demitasse

Hi gang!
Here?s another entry for our nascent Young Indy sourcebook?
I know we already have some threads on books & films out there, but I wanted to compile a reference guide of literature, films and other media that is tied to, directly referenced in or has otherwise influenced the Young Indy episodes- all in one place. This may also help teachers who want to use Young Indy in class. I?ve scoured many of the old Raven posts looking for info but I?m probably missing a lot. Please add anything else you can think of? I admit my coverage of the adolescent Indy episodes is pretty weak! More to come for sure!

Below are the threads that helped me the most! Thanks Atilla, Stoo, Violet and everyone for your great erudition and love of obscure WWI films! (You will see that I borrowed liberally from your comments.)

Indiana Jones and Books
What books would Indy have on his shelves
References to other films/TV shows in YI.

1. My First Adventure
Book: Harris, Walter. Modern Morocco, Bank of British W. Africa (1919) Possible influence.

2. Passion for Life

3. Perils of Cupid
Poem: Wyatt, Thomas. ?What Means This When I Lie Alone??

4. Journey of Radiance
Film: 55 Days at Peking. The linking segment in ?Journey of Radiance? has a long shot of the city borrowed from this Charlton Heston film which covers the Boxer Rebellion in June 1900. There are plenty of big battle scenes.

5. Travels With Father

6. Spring Break Adventure
Book: Appleton, Victor (Stratemeyer syndicate). Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout.
Film: Old Gringo (1989). Episode uses footage of the train attack on Ciudad Guerrero very liberally. The entire sequence right down to Indy switching the track lever is taken from the film.

7. Love?s Sweet Song
Song: When Irish Eyes Are Smiling
Play: Yeats, William Bulter. Cathleen Ni Houlihan. A scene is acted out in the episode.
Play: O?Casey, Sean. The Plough and the Stars. (John Ford later made this into a movie!)
Song: Moore, Thomas. ?The Minstrel Boy.?
Book: Franklin, Miles. My Brilliant Career. This 1901 novel was the likely inspiration for Vicky?s big speech at the end of the episode.

8. Trenches of Hell
Poem: Sassoon, Sigfried. ?Dreamers.? This can be found in his Counter-Attack and Other Poems.
Book: Graves, Robert. Goodbye to All That. Graves?s classic memoir about his WWI experiences. Possible influence.
Film: All Quiet on the Western Front (1979). This episode drew very heavily from the footage of this made-for-tv film. The scene when Indy & Emile are carted off as prisoners and the artillery bombardment of the village borrow extensively from the big explosions in the film. Sections of Verdun; particularly the rats crawling over the battlefield were borrowed along with other battle footage.
Book: Junger, Ernst. Storm of Steel. Some sources indicate that this memoir of a German soldier was the loose story behind this episode. It?s also the title of one of the documentaries on the Trenches DVD.
Play: Shakespeare, Richard II (Act 1, Scene 3)
Film: La Grande Illusion (1937). French film by Jean Renoir, possible influence that shares many similarities. It stars Erich Von Stroheim who shows up as a character in Hollywood Follies.

9. Demons of Deception
Film: Paths of Glory (1957). Classic Kubrick anti-war film which clearly influenced the Verdun episode and blasts the stubborn opulence of French command. There are elements of the unfinished Indy episode ?Le Havre, June 1916? which might have borrowed from this film as well.

10. Phantom Train of Doom
Book: Smith, Wilbur. Lion of Africa. Possible influence.

11. Oganga
Film: Schweitzer (1990). Malcolm McDowell plays Albert Schweitzer in a film strongly referenced in this episode?s portrayal of Schweitzer down to use of the piece ?Jesu, Joy of Man?s Desiring.?
Film: African Queen (1951). Possible influence.
Book: Conrad, Joseph. Heart of Darkness. Possible influence.
Book: Smith, Wilbur. Shout at the Devil. Possible influence.

12. Attack of the Hawkmen
Film: Aces High (1976). Episode borrowed footage from this WWI movie including shots of the German anti-aircraft guns, close-ups of plane damage from enemy fire and all aerial views of terrain during the 1st photo-reconnaissance flight. The episode shares parallels in the story line: Indy?s arrival at the airfield, photo-reconaissance missions, Richtofen?s insistence that the prisoner is his and inclusion of the song ?The Bold Aviator Lay Dying.?
Song: ?Garyowen.?

13. Adventures in the Secret Service
Film: The Third Man (1949). This movie may have inspired the episode?s use of shadows, chase scenes and musical cues in the Austria section.
TV Series: The Singing Detective (1986). This episode borrowed the train sequence from this Dennis Potter BBC series which was also an early project of Young Indy producer Rick McCallum.

14. Espionage Escapades
Book: 1,001 Nights. For the story of Scherezade which was adapted for Daghliev?s ballet.
Book: Kafka, Franz. The Trial. Parallels Indy?s bureaucratic nightmare and the Kafka character says ?What a trial? at the end (Forest Gump style).

15. Daredevils of the Desert
Book: Lawrence, T.E. The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
Film: The Lighthorsemen (1987). The episode used a great deal of the film?s footage which was also directed by Simon Wincer, director of numerous Young Indy episodes.
Film: Lion of the Desert (1981). The episode borrowed footage.
Film: Gallipoli (1981). Possible influence.

16. Tales of Innocence
Book: Hemingway, Ernest. A Farewell to Arms. Reflects Hemingway?s time as an ambulance driver in Italy, provides the loose basis and setting for the episode. Episode also implies that Indy gave him the title.
Book: Wharton, Edith. In Morocco. A 1917 travel diary of her time in North Africa. Did she meet any handsome young men de la Légion étrangère?

17. Masks of Evil
(Halide Edip supposedly wrote about the time she spent with Syrian/Armenian orphan refugees in Istanbul. I browsed through her memoir online and didn?t find much on it.)
Book: Bram Stoker?s Dracula seems like an obvious choice here. Am I missing anything else?

18. Treasure of the Peacock?s Eye
Song: ?China Dreams.?
Book: Malinowski, Bronislaw. Argonauts of the Western Pacific. This would cover the period of his run-in with Indy.

19. Winds of Change
Book: Toynbee, Arnold. The Western Question in Greece and Turkey: A Study in the Contact of Civilizations (1922). May reflect some of what he was saying at the table.
Book: Verne, Jules. From the Earth to the Moon. Indy mentions it as a book he loves.

20. Mystery of the Blues

21. Scandal of 1920

22. Hollywood Follies
Film: Foolish Wives (1922). The Von Stroheim film Indy comes to shut down.
Film: Under Crimson Skies (1920). Referenced in episode.
Film: Stagecoach (1939). Indy executes a similar scene.
Film: The Searchers (1956). Referenced in episode.

Demitasse

7. Love's Sweet Song
The script for "London, May 1916" identifies the book Vicky is reading to Indy by the fire as Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.