Yes, Sankara Stones are "Real"

WillKill4Food

Stoo said:
If they are supposed to be aniconic, how can they be 'a symbol of Siva'? Isn't that a contradiction of terms?
"Aniconic" can simply mean "not forming an image," so I suppose it depends on what you mean by "image." An "image" could be any symbol, but in this context I would call an "image" a visual rendering, such as a statue of Ba'al or Michelangelo's Creation of Adam. A stone, with minimal detailing, would not be an image, but rather a mere representation. It's not a perfect description, but I have seen "aniconic" associated with lingam multiple times, so it is not my word choice. Regardless, I think you can understand the meaning of the word in this sense. I quoted Sri Swami Sivananda in a preceding post, and he explained it as follows,
Swami Sivananda said:
Lord Siva is really formless. He has no form of his own and yet all forms are His forms. All forms are pervaded by Lord Siva.
As such, the ideal lingam is "devoid of smell, colour, taste, hearing, touch, etc." Sivananda claims that "Prakriti" (Nature) is the aforementioned "foremost" ideal lingam, but he's a religious man who, like so many others, adheres to convictions that are not necessarily coherent. From what I can piece together from Sivananda's descriptions, the lingam are to Hinduism what the crucifix is to some Christians.
(Some. Yes, some, but of course not all. I almost feel that such qualification is necessary because of the tangents that can sprout off from one poorly-chosen word.)
You see, I was raised in a fundamentalist Baptist church, and to them, "any graven image" meant that "idols" of Jesus were a no-no. So they considered statues of Christ on the cross (but not paintings, oddly) to be against the Second Commandment. Once, during an Easter service, somebody put a cross somewhat resembling a less-flashy Cross of Coronado up near the pulpit, and the pastor and my Deacon father had a fit. To them, the cross was okay because it wasn't Jesus himself, but showing Jesus on the cross was tantamount to idolatry.
Now, I'm not saying that Hindus see the lingam that way. Images of Siva in human form are not considered blasphemy, to my knowledge, but they are "inadequate" for worship because they do not represent the formlessness of Siva. Siva is not a mere human, so representations of Him, as beautiful as they may be, are not as meaningful as lingam, which represent his formlessness. I have not read that the stones' connection with nature also makes it an ideal lingam, but I would think that to be the case.

Stoo said:
Mining rock from a mineral deposit and then carving the lingam around the gems contained within. Surely, it wasn't a probable practice but it's entirely within the realm of possiblity.
Food for thought, I guess.
Stoo said:
P.S. I have a lot to say to you in a couple of other India-related threads so, as Short Round said, "Hold on to your potatoes!";)
I think most of my mistakes have been cleared up. I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert on India by any means, but I think a lot of the discussion in some of these threads has been based on semantics that may or may not actually contribute to the topic or even be indicative of my own sentiments. People often misunderstand the particularly meanings of a word or phrase and twist it into something different altogether.
At any rate, the research of my university's anthropology departments focuses almost exclusively on Central America, so I don't know that I'll ever get a chance to learn anything about India that didn't come from the web or some book on a shelf. That being said, books aren't always accurate, particularly books written by colonialists (and sometimes natives themselves), with both sides being occasionally biased. In the end, I am still learning, and if I am shown to be wrong, I'll admit it.

Last edited:

russds

I've always enjoyed how the McGuffins are at least initiated in real life stuff.

Found this:

The Sankara Stones are based on the sivalinga, the symbol of the Hindu God Shiva. According to Hindu lore, Sankara was a priest who ascended Mount Kalisa where he met Shiva. Shiva passed on five stones invested with magical properties that Sankara could use to combat evil.

"Shiva lingas" are sacred symbols of Shiva. Originally the cylindrical shape represented the formlessness of creation, then gradually became associated with Shiva. All Shiva temples have sivalinga as the main diety. They can be found in temples and shrines throughout India. There are several types: The Anadi, or Svaymbhu, are considered the most sacred, and originate from heaven itself, falling from the sky. The Jangam are miniature symbols, often cast in stone, clay, metal or other material. They are small enough to be worn as amulets or necklaces, and are often thought of as "movable" lingas.