Last Crusade opening sequence

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
Just noticed Hitchcock's 1938 film "The Lady Vanishes" features a magician's trunk with a false bottom in the train's luggage compartment, and various other props and animals belonging to the Italian Signor Doppo.

Good catch. Date also fits the main segment, which is neat symmetry.

Whole movie is downloadable. The section you describe begins at 55:25.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w1J0pUURCj8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duaner

I'm sure other people have caught the inconsistency between the beginning sequence of Last Crusade and an episode of Young Indiana Jones. In LC, Indy picks up the snake and says, "It's only a snake." In the "British East Africa, 1909" episode set three years before the LC segment, Indy and Meto run from a snake and Indy says, "I hate snakes!"

AndyLGR

I quite enjoy the opening scene. As already mentioned its very reminiscent of something from a western or a serial and its all very well done in my opinion. I like the fact that it was something totally unexpected, I went in on first viewing without a clue what was coming and it was refreshing I thought.

Forbidden Eye said:
The more I think about this opening, the more I hate it. In fact, it's by far, my least favorite opening of the quadrilogy.

The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones as he's suppose to be a legend in that he has so many elements of his costume and character that are mysterious and that you never quite know how he got them and assume he got them with various different adventures, so it really gives you the sense of history that Indiana Jones has and all the many adventures he has been through. The fact he just got them all in just one coincidental event in just an hour or so rather cheapens that sense of mystery Indy has.

I also hate this opening because it literally has nothing to do with the movie. Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.
And its something that annoyed Star Wars fans with the prequel trilogy when he seemed to be demystifying the origins of characters from the original trilogy.

Moedred said:
Just noticed Hitchcock's 1938 film "The Lady Vanishes" features a magician's trunk with a false bottom in the train's luggage compartment, and various other props and animals belonging to the Italian Signor Doppo.
A great film, much better than the 70's remake starring Cybil Shepherd and Elliot Gould.

mrman7

Man! All the talk about Indy's Hair! That was the style at the time, it was just generally slicked back. Since Indy's out adventuring, it falls in his face. Never phased me. Loved this sequence as a kid. Cute little prequel-esque references that establish bits of Indy's formative years. The fedora pass-off is classic and I love the little glimpse of Henry Sr. The train fight doesn't stack up with other action scenes in the movie FOR SURE. There's a scene where Indy's running away and the dudes are just STANDING there. I thought it set the stage perfectly for the Young Indy TV series which I enjoyed. All in all, I thought this was a fun way to open the flick. Is it as good as Raiders' opening? Nah, that's a freaking CLASSIC that defined the whole tone of the series. All in all, I give it two Indy thumbs up. (y) (y)