Post [NOT-Quadrilogy (Bad! Bad!) BUT] Tetralogy Indy Cameo(s) what do you think?

Finn

Staff member
See post #7 in this thread.

Simply put, tetralogy (which refers to number "four" in Greek) is the proper word to describe a four-part-series. "Quadrilogy" is technically nothing more than a butchered modernization somebody derived from Latin because it apparently sounds cooler or something.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Soooo. Am I right in thinking that the answer to my original post is one that no one is going to respond to directly or take seriously?

I've noticed a trend around here lately that serious discussion has gone the way of the dodo.

I gave you four solid possibilities in post #2.

It's only a fantasy thread anyway.

Besides, the board already went to hell in a handbasket.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Besides, the board already went to hell in a handbasket.

If what George reads has any credence, that's not a permanent state.

Joining Indy with another franchise, even on this level, is something of a risk, since that more or less weds him to being in their same fictional universe. As Indy's world is more or less our own, with some quirks of mysticism and physics, and also is one that inescapably takes place in given periods, the opportunities for such crossovers seem slim.

To take the Captain America example, the rendering of 1930s technology, including the World's Fair, seems to not fit in with what we know of Indy's world. Strangest technology we've met in the films are the flying wing and the jungle cutter.

Indy's brother said:
Soooo. Am I right in thinking that the answer to my original post is one that no one is going to respond to directly or take seriously?

He's mentioned quite a lot already, though not as though he's a real person...

The Hangover
Thank You for Smoking
What Happens in Vegas
Notting Hill
Marvin's Room
...of course Fanboys.

If you're really intent on bringing him into something as though he were real, I wouldn't mind seeing old Indy show up on an episode of American Pickers. That would be fun.

A serious reference might be cool in one of the TV shows like Burn Notice or any Mission Impossible-esque series in terms of some past WWII mission.

Indy's brother said:
I've noticed a trend around here lately that serious discussion has gone the way of the dodo.
Check out the Walter Donovan/Henry Ford thread, that is until dancing baby stumbles in.

Indy's brother

So Finn, is that truly the stance you're ging to take here? That since I got the stupid nerdy-ass terminology incorrect, the thread's title and contents deserve to get tarred and feathered? A little petty, don't you think?

Not that this thread got that far off the rails, but it sure seems like that's what you're condoning.

Finn

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
So Finn, is that truly the stance you're ging to take here? That since I got the stupid nerdy-ass terminology incorrect, the thread's title and contents deserve to get tarred and feathered? A little petty, don't you think?
Yes, yes and yes. But justified by the Rule of Funny.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Joining Indy with another franchise, even on this level, is something of a risk, since that more or less weds him to being in their same fictional universe. As Indy's world is more or less our own, with some quirks of mysticism and physics, and also is one that inescapably takes place in given periods, the opportunities for such crossovers seem slim.

To take the Captain America example, the rendering of 1930s technology, including the World's Fair, seems to not fit in with what we know of Indy's world. Strangest technology we've met in the films are the flying wing and the jungle cutter.

That's a good point. Such cross-overs are often one-off, non-canon events - such as Indy finding the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars Tales#19:

StarWars-Tales19-48.jpg

If a story such as that became canon it raises all sorts of questions - the "risk" that you mentioned.

That's why I wrote:

Montana Smith said:
It's another reference to Indy as existing in the popular culture of the Marvel universe. So I don't know if Wolverine is referencing the film ROTLA or Indy as an existing person, whom he may have met.

Indy has surfaced in other franchises, but generally, I think, only as a fictional character in that other franchise. He exists because films such as ROTLA exist in those franchises.

That's also why I see this as a fantasy thread. It's a 'what if...?' because as soon as Indy makes a cameo that becomes part of the canon his world expnds to include everything that is canon in the other world. That's where problems of chronologies arise, and such problems already exist within Indy-lore itself!

Kevin

Indy's brother said:
Not going to talk Indy 5 here as is my wont. The thread title pretty much says it all. How cool would it be for Indy to make an appearance in another film/franchise? It's kind of too bad it hasn't happened before (besides in the YIJC, which doesn't really count). Used sparingly, or even just mentioned in another film as a real character would be epic. Some life outside of the 4 films would be a fun and awesome way to flesh out his character and expand on the Indy Canon. Your thoughts, please.

EDIT: Plus, it could be done without the horrifyingly long wait-times for his own franchise.

The Rocketeer or The Shadow might be good contenders.

Gear

Attila the Professor said:
Strangest technology we've met in the films are the flying wing and the jungle cutter.

Idunno, the flying saucer was a bit out of this world.

HJTHX1138

Indy's brother said:

Ok, I'll take a stab at being serious . . . :mad: there.

Alright, having Indy appear in a completely unrelated medium . . . is that what you're asking? Or are you saying he could appear in something similar to his own genre?

So he would be part of an interconnected "adventure serial world", where we could see stories where Tin Tin could run into Indiana Jones to find a McGuffin etc.(?)

I'm not sure what you mean, that's all.

Also . . .

crusaders_of_the_lost_mark_by_wolfjedisamuel-d3ij668.jpg

Montana Smith

When Finn first mentioned it, I didn't realize such a cross-over was so popular.

How wrong I was...

mylpindy1.jpg

mylpIndiana_Jones20artist_axemgr20.png

mylp20airplane20artist_osakaoji20derpy_a.png

mylp924.png

mylpindiana_jones_pony_by_chibinezu-d49wvag.jpg

mylpBelloqIndiana_JonesmadmaxparodyTrixietwilight_sparkle.jpg

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-because-youre-worth-it.jpg

Well, the future of Indy is in George's hands. :eek:

HJTHX1138

Montana Smith said:
When Finn first mentioned it, I didn't realize such a cross-over was so popular.

How wrong I was...

Well, the future of Indy is in George's hands. :eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eCWK7Kco0fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>