Where were the death traps???

Indy1986

why did Kindgom not have any death traps in the temple at the end????
is that scene where the stairs pull back into the wall really supposed to count as a trap? i think it is more of a mechanical coincidence....if there would have been at least one good trap that would have killed "the double agent" thne the movie would have been more memorable...
every othe rindy movie had delicious traps as we all know

Kooshmeister

Probably there were no traps because the designers of the temple figured the riddle of the obelisk was unsolvable. That's all I've got.

Or, because the aliens actually wanted the skull returned, killing whoever was bringing the skull back before they'd returned it would be pointless, hence no traps beyond the stupid retracting stairs.

Indy1986

Kooshmeister said:
Probably there were no traps because the designers of the temple figured the riddle of the obelisk was unsolvable. That's all I've got.

Or, because the aliens actually wanted the skull returned, killing whoever was bringing the skull back before they'd returned it would be pointless, hence no traps beyond the stupid retracting stairs.

still i think that david koep could have put something better into the script than just those stairs....come on it is not that hard to find a reason to put in a nice death trap and i bet it would have made the movie way more exciting....the stairs were a joke....tension is built up but nothing happens they all land safely in the water....at least somebody should have died....

Nurhachi1991

The traps should of all been in the cemetary..................

Think about this there were death traps but they were all people lol.

Bvance

No Death Traps??

Ok, You are right there aren't any. Except the stairs that were VERY disappointing. I have also thought that the reason there were no death traps at Akator was because the aliens wanted the person returning the skull to survive.

I think it would have been cool if the water they fell into after the stairs retracted was a whirlpool that started sucking them down and they had to escape. Or the water is acidic or there are Piranhas in it or something. Don't you think?

Indy1986

Nurhachi1991 said:
The traps should of all been in the cemetary..................

Think about this there were death traps but they were all people lol.

definitely the cimitary was the perfect setting for a trap.....i mean come on the build up tension "don't touhc anything" and you think something cool is gonna happen and then it is just that rolling entrance platform to the grave....i wished there was some cool trap involved at least one

A_True_Believer

Bvance said:
No Death Traps??

Ok, You are right there aren't any. Except the stairs that were VERY disappointing. I have also thought that the reason there were no death traps at Akator was because the aliens wanted the person returning the skull to survive.

I think it would have been cool if the water they fell into after the stairs retracted was a whirlpool that started sucking them down and they had to escape. Or the water is acidic or there are Piranhas in it or something. Don't you think?

The stairs were the deathtrap. There were large stone spikes in the pool at the bottom. Unfortunately, that wasn't made very clear in the film. I think that scene could have been edited better. I would have added a few seconds where they see how high they are and see the spikes at the bottom before the stairs start retracting. The danger of the scene had to be established first, and it really wasn't.

nitzsche

The stairs retract and Spielberg pans down to several impaled skeletons below. The spikes at the bottom of the dead fall are shown a few times. He's got an overhead shot of them running around the steps and one from the bottom looking up.

Bvance

And I guess that the height of the fall would kill you if you moved like a snail.

Well, I saw the spikes and the impaled skeletons, but if you make it as far down as Indy and co. did then you are outside of the spike zone so to speak???

nitzsche

I would imagine it would even be possible to fall between the stairs if you are not careful as well. Plus, even if you miss a spike, the water could still be shallow enough that you could hit your head or break a leg if you fell to the bottom.

The great thing about this scene is that it is a real set and the stairs were actually retracting. Granted, everyone was on safety wires, but Karen Allen said it sucked to have to run through it.

Nurhachi1991

Wait the Army General said " Indy you know better not to climb into refridgerators those things can be death traps" There you go

nitzsche

I also consider the sandpit to be an Indy trap moment even though it is a natural hazard. It's not the same tone as the other suspenseful traps, but it still is a life or death moment with Indy willing to die rather than grab the snake.

muttjones

there weren't proper indy traps except for the stairs thing.

It would be cool if the spinning medallion floor trap thing at the cemetery had some danger to it. Like underneath there is a bottomless pit or that the walls are closing in on indy. Something because that whole scene seemed rather slow so i think they chucked in the scorpions to try and liven it up a bit.
a bit disappointing.

Professor Jones

muttjones said:
there weren't proper indy traps except for the stairs thing.

It would be cool if the spinning medallion floor trap thing at the cemetery had some danger to it. Like underneath there is a bottomless pit or that the walls are closing in on indy. Something because that whole scene seemed rather slow so i think they chucked in the scorpions to try and liven it up a bit.
a bit disappointing.

I agree... we cannot count as "trap" every danger that was in the movie (sandpit, scorpions and so on...). Danger is a gender and trap is the species. I mean that you can say that every trap is a danger but you cannot say that every danger is a trap.

So, considered that in any Indy movie there's a plenty of dangers, you must admit that the previous movies were peculiarly characterized by the fact that a good number of dangers that Indy should pass through were represented by deadly traps. One must seriously and honestly admit that there were almost none of them in KOCTS (except for the stairs thing). That I consider a fault in an Indy movie. They should have given more space to witty booby traps than to other less indysh things.

nitzsche

Well, look guys... Temple only had one trap - the "spike room". Crusade had three "trials" but only one of those could really be considered a "booby trap" and that is the "breath of God" blades. Raiders had the "Forrestal spikes" and the poison darts (the giant boulder if you consider that more than just something to block the entrance/exit).

Temple had one trap. Crusade had one trap. Skull had one trap.

Raiders had a lot of things going on in the teaser temple raid, but Indy encountered zero traps during the quest for the Ark.

Indy1986

still the stiars tap in kindgodm could have been better what i hated were the spikes....they were stone spikes that didnt look sharp or dangerous even if they were but still i rather would have liked the type of spikes they had in temple

RaideroftheArk

Why have traps for returning an artifact to where it rightfully belongs? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I thought the stairs were good enough.

Sankara

Where is the story?

Where is the humor?

Where are the real and good action-scenes?

Where is Indiana Jones in this movie?

Well, no traps is one of the many-many mistakes in Movie. Yes, there is only one trap in "Doom" - but this is a long and very good scene. The stair-scene in "Skull" is very short and not really good.