The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed

Lambonius

In the Raven Bar shootout in Raiders, if you look carefully you'll notice that Indy is using two different types of pistol. One is his trusty revolver, but the other is a different, clip-loaded pistol. Additionally, if you watch the quick cuts, in some of the close-ups he's clearly using the wrong gun at the wrong time (i.e. wide-shot of Indy holding the revolver, then quick close-up of Indy firing the other pistol, then back to wide shot of him holding the revolver.) I just noticed this for the first time while watching it the other night.

The Drifter

ATMachine said:
Technically speaking he shouldn't have that one either! He wore the grey hat (and the blue double-breasted suit) on the plane to Nepal. Unless he mailed it back home after arriving in Nepal I would think it should have gotten left behind wherever he left all his other luggage.

I always thought that the grey hat was his dress hat, and his old brown fedora was his adventuring one.

UltimateManGod

Speaking of having lost items returned, how does Indy get his gun and whip back from Belloq when Belloq takes the idol from Indy? He clearly doesn't have them when running from the Hovitos, and Belloq doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would send Indy his personal effects back. Unless Indy has spares.

Vance

When the blood splatters from the German Mechanic (TM) onto the canopy, the blood never appears in any other shot, despite the close-up on Indy shooting the canopy at the exact same spot.

Michael24

UltimateManGod said:
Speaking of having lost items returned, how does Indy get his gun and whip back from Belloq when Belloq takes the idol from Indy? He clearly doesn't have them when running from the Hovitos, and Belloq doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would send Indy his personal effects back. Unless Indy has spares.

I remember asking my dad something like "How come Indy has a gun? I thought Belloq took it?" and my dad said, "He probably got another one at Big 5 after he got back." Haha!! There used to be one just a few blocks away from our house.

Vance said:
When the blood splatters from the German Mechanic (TM) onto the canopy, the blood never appears in any other shot, despite the close-up on Indy shooting the canopy at the exact same spot.

Actually, the blood splatters onto the canopy of the gun turret at the rear of the plane, not the cockpit canopy. The cockpit and the gun turret are connected via a crawlspace that runs the length of the plane. :)

Last edited:

Michael24

That confused me as well when I was little as well, and leaving it empty probably would have still triggered the trap. I think the way the trap works is that it's set to go off if there's a change in weight, whether it's more or less than that of the idol. (If the bag of sand had weighed less, the pedestal probably would have risen instead of lowering the way it does in the movie.)

Vance

Michael24 said:
Actually, the blood splatters onto the canopy of the gun turret at the rear of the plane, not the cockpit canopy. The cockpit and the gun turret are connected via a crawlspace that runs the length of the plane. :)

Just watched it. The blood seems to splatter on the left-side of the main canopy, which Marion (who is again up front at this point) reacts to as it spatters all over in front of her. It's minor, but it's a continuity error.

Also, as to 'Short Round's' stretching, it's actually another continuity error. He doesnt' stretch.. it's just that at one point the Thugee's have him by the wrists, then it cuts and they have pulled his sleeves out and are holding him by that, then it cuts again and they have his wrists again. It does look a little silly, though.

Dust McAlan

Indy's revolver inexplicably turns into a .45 automatic during the bar fight in Raiders, and remains a .45 for the rest of the film.

Michael24

Vance said:
Just watched it. The blood seems to splatter on the left-side of the main canopy, which Marion (who is again up front at this point) reacts to as it spatters all over in front of her. It's minor, but it's a continuity error.

If you pause the shot of Marion covering her eyes, you can see the gun and it's crosshair sight in the same shot with her, so she's still in the turret at the back of the plane. The turret canopy is also more rounded, like a bubble, whereas the cockpit canpoy is a little more elongated. :)

UltimateManGod

Dust McAlan said:
Indy's revolver inexplicably turns into a .45 automatic during the bar fight in Raiders, and remains a .45 for the rest of the film.

I always figured he had two guns with him. That revolver is only good for six shots, and it's easier to reload that .45. Also, he used the revolver for the rest of the film. It's onlt the bar scene where he uses a .45.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/dvdscreenshots/188.jpg
Clearly the revolver. I'd add a screenshot of the gun during the mechanic fight when it's on the ground, but I'm too lazy to look anywhere else.

Dust McAlan

UltimateManGod said:
I always figured he had two guns with him. That revolver is only good for six shots, and it's easier to reload that .45. Also, he used the revolver for the rest of the film. It's onlt the bar scene where he uses a .45.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.php?ImageUrl=http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/dvdscreenshots/188.jpg
Clearly the revolver. I'd add a screenshot of the gun during the mechanic fight when it's on the ground, but I'm too lazy to look anywhere else.
Ooh, very good, very well made point. Thanks for pointing out that image.

I just noticed that he DOES shoot the swordsman with the revolver, but I think my confusion came in the fact that he has the .45 on the Bantu Wind.

Vance

Michael24 said:
If you pause the shot of Marion covering her eyes, you can see the gun and it's crosshair sight in the same shot with her, so she's still in the turret at the back of the plane. The turret canopy is also more rounded, like a bubble, whereas the cockpit canpoy is a little more elongated. :)

Then it's still a continuity error, as she had already gone back to the cockpit by this point, expecting Indy to free her. :)

NoCamels

In Raiders, right as Indy is riding along the ridge and just before he rides downhill to jump on the truck, he's wearing short silver spurs. He doesn't have them before or after in the truck chase.

In Last Crusade, there is one scene where he's talking to Sallah after stealing the horses where they forgot to black out all of the white on his horse's nose. (In the rest of the tank chase, all you can see of this horse's blaze is a pink lower lip- they blacked it out to match the solid black horse Indy rides in Petra.) Also, the other horses they stole change color and facial markings- Sallah's horse switches between a star and a stripe marking, and Henry Sr. and Marcus's horses change color.

Also, right as the convoy stops, there seems to be a horse wearing a regular western saddle with a blanket draped across it, as if it was filmed in pick-ups and they didn't have an Arabian saddle handy.

ReggieSnake

UltimateManGod said:
Why not? Belloq seems like a pretty classy adversary. Besides, he got what he wanted- sending back the gun and whip would be like him saying "Here, have another go, Junior. I won again this time";).

The more probable answer is that he has spares, though.

davejames

Speaking of the Flying Wing... can someone tell me HOW exactly the Nazis were going to load that big ass Ark crate onto it?

The plane looked way too thin and I can't imagine there was a ton of storage space hidden in there anywhere. Were they just going to strap it on top and hope for the best? :D

Sam Falco

The belly of the flying wing is actually very large, there IS no interior of the plane except for the crawl space between the gun and the cockpit, so there would have been room for the ark.

MY question is: What was Indy's plan for getting onboard the plane without detection? I mean, its been established that he cant fly a plane (per Temple of Doom) and apparently he learned at some point before Crusade, but cannot land still. So... why was he attacking the pilot?

Vance

davejames said:
Speaking of the Flying Wing... can someone tell me HOW exactly the Nazis were going to load that big ass Ark crate onto it?

To be.. erm.. fair.. that was just Indy's assumption. None of the Germans even seemed interested in loading the Ark on the Flying Wing. There was no loader or anything, no obvious cargo hatch big enough for the Ark, etc...