Shia: We botched the last Indiana Jones film

IAdventurer01

While it is an unfortunate truth that in the prospects of another movie, perhaps we do have to look at things like fan-bases, etc.

However, from what I've been reading here there seems to be a discouraging link between the quality of a film and who is expected to like it, almost from a marketing perspective. Looking too much as such things is precisely what causes disastrous movies - making the film too much a commercial product and not a work of art.

Lucas/Spielberg clearly have resources enough to ignore such market analysis and should focus on just making a darn good film. And *gasp*, if it's a good film, people will come to watch it anyway. (Actually, Indy has enough pulling power still that I bet it would still make money if it sucked, but I digress.)

Anything less than having at least that intent, and I would want apologies all around.

Darth Vile

IAdventurer01 said:
However, from what I've been reading here there seems to be a discouraging link between the quality of a film and who is expected to like it, almost from a marketing perspective. Looking too much as such things is precisely what causes disastrous movies - making the film too much a commercial product and not a work of art.

Lucas/Spielberg clearly have resources enough to ignore such market analysis and should focus on just making a darn good film. And *gasp*, if it's a good film, people will come to watch it anyway. (Actually, Indy has enough pulling power still that I bet it would still make money if it sucked, but I digress.)

Anything less than having at least that intent, and I would want apologies all around.

Whilst I agree with what you state, I'd imagine the same amount of time and energy (broadly speaking) was spent discussing KOTCS potential market, as it was with TOD and TLC. It's possible that, as Spielberg always suggested, KOTCS was made specifically to appeal to the fans rather than being designed to appeal to the maximum target audience. And of course the irony is that whilst maybe wanting a movie to tick all the boxes for the fan community, they made a movie that turned out to be a divisive as TOD had been.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm... Shia's comments remind me of something I once said a few months back on the Raven.....

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19969&page=2&highlight=wrong+side+movies

Violet Indy said:
....on the DVD' interviews, Schumacher actually apologises for making "Batman & Robin", so I guess it's also the sympathy card being played...... Schumacher doesn't seem to come off a bad guy in those interviews either. I mean do you honestly see Spielberg and Lucas in ten years time, apologising to the fans for the mistakes they made with KOTCS?

I believe that Shia's comments can really be read a number of ways, I mean people's posts indicate that as much. I can't help but feel this is orchestrated. There's no way in hell or Hollywood that anyone would put blame on Spielberg so easily. There's a motive, Hollywood's a big marketing machine. These comments wouldn't be without a reason. Whether it be merely Shia trying to relate to the public by reaching majority opinion in order to make himself more appealing or playing pawn to an apology from a person who is not going to do it directly (if at all) because of the high and mighty position he may have. The fact is it's hard to know whether Shia is telling the truth or telling a lie, because with the media a lot of lies are repeated and presented as truth, as one very famous Nazi Head of Propaganda once said, "Tell a lie enough times, people will believe it as the truth."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Discussed elsewhere, just thought I'd add it here...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...s-given-him-his-drug-dealing-father-back.html
"I had already been involved in a movie where I felt we had dropped the ball on a legacy, and I was part of it. And then you jump into a situation with heavier hitters, just a stronger legacy. You drop the ball twice and it's over for you. In Indiana Jones I felt sort of pigeon-holed. I didn't have enough meat to chew on, and I was put there for reasons. It was like we were trying to enforce innocence on an audience that was not willing. You cannot enforce this. I love Steven, he is like a father to me, I would die for him."

Gabeed

I can't help but giggle bitterly at people who were a part of KoTCS admitting its failings.

. . .but at the same time, Shia is kind of hilariously melodramatic in that interview, and seemingly full of ****. Is he actually saying that Wall Street has a stronger legacy than the Indiana Jones movies? I think his awareness of the significant presence of dissatisfaction with KoTCS is revealing, but the fact that this guy would rail on Robert de Niro and talk about the "death of an actor" while working alongside Michael Bay and some Victoria's Secret model on the set of Transformers 3 is just laughable.

Montana Smith

Gabeed said:
I can't help but giggle bitterly at people who were a part of KoTCS admitting its failings.

. . .but at the same time, Shia is kind of hilariously melodramatic in that interview, and seemingly full of ****. Is he actually saying that Wall Street has a stronger legacy than the Indiana Jones movies? I think his awareness of the significant presence of dissatisfaction with KoTCS is revealing, but the fact that this guy would rail on Robert de Niro and talk about the "death of an actor" while working alongside Michael Bay and some Victoria's Secret model on the set of Transformers 3 is just laughable.

Pride comes before a fall...

As Indy and Mutt approach the perilous edge of a canyon, Indy looks both ways before giving Mutt a firm shove...

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
Pride comes before a fall...

As Indy and Mutt approach the perilous edge of a canyon, Indy looks both ways before giving Mutt a firm shove...

PSSFFHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Caution: Indy 5 Spoiler!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Shia: "I was put there for reasons."
Or, borrowing from Superman, Indy says "son, you are here for a reason. I don't know what reason. But I do know it was not to work on motorcycles." Then they race to the barn and Indy has a heart attack and dies.

Darth Vile

Gabeed said:

Exactly... although to be fair, The Sun is hardly a factual piece of editorial/journalism i.e. don't always believe the quotes.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Col. Detritch

How do I put this as not to offend... Bull**** Mr LaBeouf. Bull-****! This is a little marketing technique you must have picked up while studying for your Series 7 bar exam for traders.;)

I don't believe it is sincere for one second for two reasons. Why only now? And, who in their right mind would say something that could strain a relationship with Steven Spielberg, the most powerful man in Hollywood? He?s extremely lucky to have that. Don?t get me wrong I don?t hat Shia I just think this his him showing the ugly nature of marketing a film. And what?s even more concerning is that he dragged Harrison into it. If Harrison had said something and wanted people to hear it he would have said it himself. I?m sorry but he?s bordering on career and integrity suicide! :hat:

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I smell a demotion for little Shia. Is there a Holes 2 in his future?

Hey look:

10879350_gal.jpg

A falling star!

Darth Vile

I think that, by comparison, if Wall Street 2 had been brilliant and if Shia's performance had been brilliant... then yes, reflect on what he could have done differently on KOTCS. However, after viewing the new movie my opinion is that Wall Street 2 is a very average sequel to a movie I didn't particularly find great first time around. Also, Shia's performance is a very generic by numbers piece. What had the potential to be Wall Street's equivalent of 'The Color of Money', ends up being a forgettable addendum (IMHO), which makes Shia's comments (if meant seriously) a little hollow.

Forbidden Eye

Darth Vile said:
What had the potential to be Wall Street's equivalent of 'The Color of Money', ends up being a forgettable addendum (IMHO)..

Probably all the more why he did it.

"If you didn't like Indy 4, screw that flick, my next sequel to an 80's film is going to be better."

What he truly feels is probably the opposite, but saying that would probably be inappropriate from a marketing view-point.

Col. Detritch

I was watching my KotCS extras and came across a line from Shia in the Production Diary where he says:

"There's a lot of freedom, involved in this. Way more than I ever expected which is scary to me. You find out that your there for input also. To have freedom in something that?s this massive is not-err... err like-err a reassuring thing! It scares you! This whole process is the most terrifying and electrifying experience in my life."

But I thought you where pigeonholed, Shia? To be honest I like Positive Shia better! :hat:

Major West

I'd actually welcome Indy's son being recast with a better actor for the next film. That's what they should do. And that's what Shia Le Turd deserves.

Last edited:
In light of Spielberg's most recent confession, three cheers for Shia.

He was right, they DID botch it!

Indy's brother said:
Hey look:

10879350_gal.jpg

A falling star!

A little science, the tail of that meteor is comprised of rare $1000 bills coming out of his wazoo being consumed by the friction with other atmospheric particles.

But don't worry he's MADE of money...more than any of us will ever see.

Maybe not me

AndyLGR

Major West said:
I'd actually welcome Indy's son being recast with a better actor for the next film. That's what they should do. And that's what Shia Le Turd deserves.
I hope not, its one of my pet hates when they change the actor playing a character. I'd rather that Indys son wasnt in the movie rather than recast. And if it is that he is in the script then they should use the same actor, despite what he may have said about KOTCS.

But I think Indy 5 can go a different way without bringing along his son. They havent necesarily painted themselves into a corner with the fact he now has a son.

Darth Vile

AndyLGR said:
I hope not, its one of my pet hates when they change the actor playing a character. I'd rather that Indys son wasnt in the movie rather than recast. And if it is that he is in the script then they should use the same actor, despite what he may have said about KOTCS.

But I think Indy 5 can go a different way without bringing along his son. They havent necesarily painted themselves into a corner with the fact he now has a son.

Totally agree. If they were to have a killer script for Indy V involving Mutt in a pivotal role, then bring Shia back... but don't squeeze the character into a script just for the sake of it. Bring in new characters.