Shia: We botched the last Indiana Jones film

Henry W Jones

AndyLGR said:
I hope not, its one of my pet hates when they change the actor playing a character. I'd rather that Indys son wasnt in the movie rather than recast. And if it is that he is in the script then they should use the same actor, despite what he may have said about KOTCS.

But I think Indy 5 can go a different way without bringing along his son. They havent necesarily painted themselves into a corner with the fact he now has a son.

Mutt should not be in Indy 5. If he is it should be a mention of the character or a quick cameo at the beginning or at the very end when Indy get home from his adventure. But definitely do not change actors. I hate that as well. The only time I find if acceptable is when you are in the middle of the story and one of your actors dies before the series is complete.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I think claims of Shia / Spielberg drama have been wildly overstated...
The actor "deeply regrets" his negative comments about Indiana Jones, revealing they ruptured his relationship with Steven Spielberg. "He told me there's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars," he recalls. "It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei."
Bottom-feeder "news" sites take a paraphrase like "ruptured his relationship" and extrapolate further. Not much to see here when you play the original quotes back to back.

kongisking

Well...was re-watching select moments from KOTCS again. And really...it is a massive, angering shame that Shia LaBeouf is not given more credit for Mutt Williams.

Let's think about this people. Of all the original characters in the movie, Mutt is the most well-characterized and developed. He has personality, he has a great dynamic with Dr. Jones. He gets his own little 'grow up and get used to the craziness, kid' arc of sorts. He is skilled, intelligent, endearingly hot-headed but not a useless moron. He gets some funny lines and his banter with other characters is generally well-done. And Shia plays him as this wannabe cool kid who's never really properly gotten into a mess like his pops, and when he has to rise to the occasion, he impresses quite a lot.

This is a really enjoyable, interesting character who adds so much to the film. And deserves more acknowledgement of it, regardless of your opinion about LaBeouf's acting. The character as written is solid and fun, regardless.

Udvarnoky

Shia's performance is fine. His character's issues are at the script level, just like everybody else's. I still disagree with the need to give Indy a son at all, but if you must include him he would have played much better without the supporting character overload.

I wouldn't have minded if the character had just remained some greaser kid. The dynamic between Indy and Mutt up to that point was fairly decent. Once they did the reveal, the character became luggage, just like Marion.

kongisking

Udvarnoky said:
Shia's performance is fine. His character's issues are at the script level, just like everybody else's. I still disagree with the need to give Indy a son at all, but if you must include him he would have played much better without the supporting character overload.

I wouldn't have minded if the character had just remained some greaser kid. The dynamic between Indy and Mutt up to that point was fairly decent. Once they did the reveal, the character became luggage, just like Marion.

I personally thought the revelation added an entire new level of hilarity to their chemistry that worked like gangbusters for me, but to each his own. Maybe I just love the argument in the back of the truck too much (still can't wrap my head around that knife gag though...)