Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Pale Horse

Staff member
If there was ever an easter egg to put into the 5th installment, this would be the one.

It would be so meta, it'd probably break the internet.

Just imagine, Old Indy, on a farm, before the action begins, maybe after the first scene. He's out there, in the barn, milking old Jessie, when above him, slightly to his back is a row of hens, doing there thing, when all of the sudden an egg falls from the nest.

Blam, in a flash!

He catches it, sets it on the ground gently, and goes about his business with Jessie.

Then, never go back to referencing it again.

If a scene like that makes it in, the movie (for me) would be a success, no matter what else happens.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
If there was ever an easter egg to put into the 5th installment, this would be the one.

It would be so meta, it'd probably break the internet.

Just imagine, Old Indy, on a farm, before the action begins, maybe after the first scene. He's out there, in the barn, milking old Jessie, when above him, slightly to his back is a row of hens, doing there thing, when all of the sudden an egg falls from the nest.

Blam, in a flash!

He catches it, sets it on the ground gently, and goes about his business with Jessie.

Then, never go back to referencing it again.​

If a scene like that makes it in, the movie (for me) would be a success, no matter what else happens.

Maybe it'll be a Shangri-La story, like <I>Lost Horizon</I>, which has these opening titles:

In these days of wars and rumors of wars - - haven't you ever dreamed of a place where there was peace and security, where living was not a struggle but a lasting delight?
(The page turns)
Of course you have.
So has every man since Time began. Always the same dream. Sometimes he calls it Utopia - - Sometimes the Fountain of Youth - - Sometimes merely "that little chicken farm."
(The page turns)
One man had such a dream and saw it come true. He was Robert Conway - - England's "Man of the East" - - soldier, diplomat, public hero - -
(The page turns)
Our story starts in the war-torn Chinese city of Baskul, where Robert Conway has been sent to evacuate ninety white people before they are butchered in a local revolution.
(The page turns)
Baskul - - the night of March 10, 1935.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This doesn't speak to the scene being filmed, but in the special features for 2014 release of the Philippe de Broca/Jean-Paul Belmondo vehicle <I>Up to His Ears</I> (also known as Les Tribulations d'un Chinois en Chine), actor Jean Rochefort recalls flying 37 hours to arrive at the foot of the Himalayas, the last flight being on an Air Nepal flight "where the plane's doors were secured with string." Rochefort continues to explain that "the plane was full of chickens, chickens in cages." Maybe Spielberg (who almost certainly saw the film and had corresponded with its director) or someone else had heard this anecdote? The Himalayas and Himalaya-adjacent scenes in the film do involve a plane struggling to clear mountain peaks and the heroes sliding down snowdrifts.