Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm not 100% persuaded that it's the same exact model, but it looks like the ride's creator and primary designer Tony Baxter may have ended up with that model that was being auctioned off.

BaxterIndyModelsm.jpg

As seen here on the Season Pass Podcast's website, with the photos accompanying a wonderful multi-part podcast with Baxter.

Last edited:
Attila the Professor said:
I'm not 100% persuaded that it's the same exact model, but it looks like the ride's creator and primary designer Tony Baxter may have ended up with that model that was being auctioned off.

As seen here on the Season Pass Podcast's website, with the photos accompanying a wonderful multi-part podcast with Baxter.

According to the model-maker (the late John Stone) there were multiples of this model made for the exec's that green-lit the ride. One of those models lives here at Ravenwood as we had the pleasure of knowing John the past few years before his passing.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
throwmetheidol said:
According to the model-maker (the late John Stone) there were multiples of this model made for the exec's that green-lit the ride. One of those models lives here at Ravenwood as we had the pleasure of knowing John the past few years before his passing.

Ah, that explains the slight variations. I figured that auction mightn't be within range of an Imagineer's salary.

JasonMa

Spent the weekend at Disneyland. I was happy to see the well/rope effect int he Indy queue is working again. Alas the spike room is still broken.

I spotted a new (to me) Indy reference in Adventureland. I usually skip the Jungle Cruise when its busy enough that they're queuing people upstairs but with it being the Jingle Cruise for the holidays it was always busy so we waited in line yesterday. Upstairs on the open area above the lower queue line there's a bunch of shipping crates. One of them is addressed to the British delegation in Delhi from Dr. Jones.

We also went to trader Sam's on Sunday. It was so busy I couldn't get near the shadow box with the Indy writings in it sadly. The good news is that they were out of the Shipwreck on the Rocks barrel glasses so they substituted one of their 60th anniversary Tahitian Terrace mugs instead. :whip:

InexorableTash

But Indy is pals with Trader Sam and Sam borrowed decor from the Tiki Room. Therefore it's all canonical...

Jose the Parrot is the sidekick in Indy 5. Calling it now.

JasonMa

Moedred said:
Everyone's favorite Disneyland Adventureland attraction is getting its own Marvel comic! ;)

TIKIROOM2016001_DC11-forannouncement-390x600.jpg
Already have my order in at the comic book store. :D

(My wife has collected all the Kingdoms comics but this one I'm actually interested in)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
JuniorJones said:
Just a little follow up...(y)
Code:
[url]https://rapidshare.com/files/3451302450/DIJ1.rar[/url]
JJ, could we have a re-up on this Disney Channel hour-long "Indiana Jones Adventure" featuring Karen Allen and John Rhys-Davies?

Stoo

Moedred said:
hour-long
Hi, Moe. Are you certain about an hour-long version?:confused: As far as I'm aware, it was a half hour special (21 minutes + commercials).

There are a couple of good quality uploads on YouTube but both have drawbacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0abv1MhkM
534x360
Full show. Not full picture (white, vertical bars on both sides).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFApmDv-hg&t=141s
1280x720
No opening/closing credits. Disney Avenue watermark. Picture stretched a bit. Appears to be taken from the one above because the white bars have been filled in from another source. (Vertical lines near the edges are visible.)

If JJ is too busy with "Indymag", allow me to help. (It's the least I could do as payback for your sharing of the '95 Super Bowl half-time show! :hat:) I have the last 6 minutes in clean 640x480 and want to combine that to make the best available version...unless JJ or anyone else has something superior.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Stoo! That was all I was looking for. So many dead links in this thread, like this one from the Neverland Files. It is indeed a half hour program, and Wikipedia is mistaken. Looking forward to the next Indymag!

Le Saboteur

Changes are coming to Adventureland!

Despite being the best land, big changes are finally afoot at Disneyland's Adventureland. With an expanded Fantasmic! expected to debut later this summer, alleviating the bottleneck that is Adventureland is finally becoming important.

dc930cfa087668d938aaa1555b961c65.jpg

Of particular note: The Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost is going to Yesterland. Not that I really mind; the store's been crap for years, and they can't keep the pinball in working order (if it's even still there). Select merchandise will be worked into the Adventureland Bazaar.

The outdoor bar and seating area for the Bengal Barbecue are also being eighty-sixed, and will be rebuilt where the Indy Outpost currently is.

South Seas Traders is also being deep-sixed in favor of... Tropical Imports, that over glorified fruit stand next to the Boathouse. That space currently occupied by Tropical Imports will become overflow stroller parking.

Exciting, neh? Adventureland gets plus-ed by subtracting from what few attractions it does have!

Looks like the shutters will be going up on 12 June. Locals have a day left to get their memories in!

Disneyland Finally Improving Adventureland Flow

If there's a silver lining, maybe there'll be some more nods to Indy's presence in the new Bengal Barbecue's decor.

Kungaloosh!

JasonMa

Sad to see the pinball go, it was the one place I knew I could find it. :gun:

The jungle's only self-service witch doctor better stay in place though. Otherwise there's no chance somebody will recognize my phone case! :D

Forbidden Eye

I find this news VERY depressing. Maybe even more than I should. Because along with Indiana Jones 5 getting pushed for 2020, this proves Disney isn't even pretending to care about this franchise and it's fans.

When Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012, even though I knew Star Wars was going to be the main focus due to fan-base, toy market etc. I was excited about what this would mean for Indiana Jones because it's obvious after Young Indiana Jones Chronicles got canceled(and especially after he finally finished Indy 4) Lucas' involvement and enthusiasm for the franchise became pretty much non-existent. With Disney as the owner I finally felt Indy 5 and the series in general had a future again. Sadly Iger's Disney only cares about billion dollar franchises(which has its donwfalls as a strategy, as Alice Through The Looking Glass and even the new Pirates have proven).

I know that today's demise is only about a store, and it's not like Indiana Jones Adventure is being taken out, but if something as popular as Tower Of Terror could get removed, who is to say that won't be a real possibility 20 years down the line?

TheFedora

Im very very upset by this news. This is very depressing, and I always stopped by this when I went by Disney, as probably the only place in the park where they sold Indy merchandise of any variety. I think that Disney will regret this, in the future especially as the new Indy movie comes nearer.

Le Saboteur

JasonMa said:
Sad to see the pinball go, it was the one place I knew I could find it. :gun:

Come to the Bay Area. I know of two places that have both editions. Both are well maintained unlike the Disneyland pin.

Forbidden Eye said:
I find this news VERY depressing. Maybe even more than I should. Because along with Indiana Jones 5 getting pushed for 2020, this proves Disney isn't even pretending to care about this franchise and it's fans.

It's easy to blame Disney, but the ridiculous encumbrances placed upon the series can't be ignored. The blame belongs squarely on the shoulders of Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford. They very clearly have zero interest in the further exploits of Dr. Jones, but are unwilling to let anybody else play in their sandbox.

And before all the 'buts' come in it needs to be noted that people who are genuinely interested in something will make themselves available. Not the opposite. They don't rehash somebody else's work either. See: Hal Barwood and Spielberg's comments about adapting Fate of Atlantis.

Getting the band back together is the worst possible thing Disney can do.

snip.

But we're talking about a store, not the movies. While I have some empathy for those bothered by the Outpost's closure, I can't muster up that much energy over its departure. Steal some of the decor? Sure. Absolutely. But most of the merchandise is trash tier, and anything worthwhile will be funneled into the Adventureland Bazaar. They can lose the Star Wars merch without effort. There's probably even room for the diorama.

Video from the Outpost's final weekend.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Di6wKzlF0kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I can ever find the old plans for my revamp of Adventureland, I'll post them. I had The Raven Bar extending out from The World Famous Jungle Cruise's boathouse. Second floor. This was well before that I learned that Disneyland was booze free (everybody hit up Pale for Club 33 access!), but the idea could easily be worked into the revamp of the Bengal Barbecue* or South Seas Traders. Make it The Raven Juice Bar or some such. Dr. Jones loves fruit-like snacks!

* - Working more Indian food would be great as well. Bengal is indeed a p,ace, a bay, and a subspecies of tiger.

Forbidden Eye said:
I know that today's demise is only about a store, and it's not like Indiana Jones Adventure is being taken out, but if something as popular as Tower Of Terror could get removed, who is to say that won't be a real possibility 20 years down the line?

If Temple of the Forbidden Eye gets removed, then what do you replace it with? What fits the theme of Adventureland? If it makes it another twenty years, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, then that would put it at ~50 years of service. That's a long time for any ride. If I'm not mistaken only The World Famous Jungle Cruise is still there from opening day. Even that has gone through changes over the years. Revampring or remodeling the Indiana Jones Adventure may be necessary at some point in the future, but I don't see it going anywhere.

Forbidden Eye said:
Sadly Iger's Disney only cares about billion dollar franchises(which has its donwfalls as a strategy, as Alice Through The Looking Glass and even the new Pirates have proven).

Audiences are a fickle bunch. That said, Pirates already is a billion dollar franchise. Despite not setting the box office aflame here, Dead Men Tell No Tales has made ~$500-million overseas. It'll probably come into port in the $800-900-million range. It'll also do well on home video.

The Laughing Place has a few snaps of the now walled off Outpost and South Seas Traders.

JasonMa

Le Saboteur said:
Come to the Bay Area. I know of two places that have both editions. Both are well maintained unlike the Disneyland pin.
1 Up here in Denver has the newer one that incorporates Crystal Skull but I prefer the classic that Disney has/had. If I'm ever in the Bay Area though I'll send you a PM to find out where those two are. :whip:

Its one of my goals to eventually have the money and the room to buy one of my own.

Le Saboteur said:
But we're talking about a store, not the movies. While I have some empathy for those bothered by the Outpost's closure, I can't muster up that much energy over its departure. Steal some of the decor? Sure. Absolutely. But most of the merchandise is trash tier, and anything worthwhile will be funneled into the Adventureland Bazaar. They can lose the Star Wars merch without effort. There's probably even room for the diorama.
This. I get it, with Disney's history seeing something like this makes people think it might be step 1, but until there's a step 2 I can't get too upset. Adventureland's traffic patters have been broken for years and it desperately needed help. Looking at that video that is way too much space to take up for largely junk merchandise. Get rid of the plastic snakes, cheap swords, etc., minimize the room the hats and fedoras are taking up, condense the shirt racks a bit and you could have the good stuff in a corner of one of the other stores jut as easily.