Saucer Men From Mars script

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm about to write a $21 check to the guys at Scripthouse (linked above) for a hard copy of the Saucer Men script. I've read about 4 synopses but I'm still curious. As far as I know, being a Hollywood outsider, they're the only source. (Curiously enough, from the phone call, it sounds like I'm dealing with Russians.)

So, assuming the real thing comes in the mail in 2 weeks, what can I (or The Raider) do to get a non-PDF soft copy made? Are they interested?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I received my hard copy of the "Saucer Men" script! Those who panned it in their summaries (ursinod, chitwood, walker, and bellosh) were surely editorializing against a potientially bad move for the franchise. In fact, it's great on paper, and has that professional cinematic quality that many of the books and novels lacked. Besides, it's an authentic George Lucas story! Some YIJC episodes can't even claim that.

I'm willing to help spread the word. If you can turn "Saucer Men" into PDF or HTML and post it, I'll mail you a photocopy of this fine script.

JerryKing

So, is this script worse than "Monkey King", Ebola Zaire or Marmite paste? All synopses indicate that it places itself somewhere between "Batman & Robin" and "Highlander II". Even lower?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Find out for yourself, request a hard copy.
I'd post it myself but my scanner is on the fritz.
(You know, like Fritz from FoA, or someone, I suspect, sneaked in and tampered with it.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It is done.
I scanned and polished "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars" by Jeb Stuart and emailed it to TheRaider's staff. I'll be surprised if anyone who wants to read it will still be searching by Christmas. Here's some key dialogue:
- - - - - - - -
Indy stares off at the horizon, suddenly there is an immense glow.
BOLANDER(V.O.)
Testing the bomb.
Indy turns and realizes he is not alone. Bolander stares off at the horizon. Indy grunts his displeasure.
BOLANDER
I take it you're not a fan of the bomb, Dr. Jones...
INDY
I'm not.
BOLANDER
Don't worry, it's over fifty miles away. If what you said in there is true, that may be a thing of the past.
INDY
It's just a race to you, isn't it, Bolander?
BOLANDER
It's always been a race, Jones. If anyone should understand that, you should. As long as there's been civilization it?s been a race for power. Nothing's changed...
INDY
Except the stakes.
The familiar mushroom has formed and catches the first rays of the sun. Bolander smiles.
BOLANDER
The atom is our friend, Jones. Remember that.

JerryKing

Ye mighty deities, this sounds much worse than I expected. And I expected quality two fully extended fireladders below the level set by "Battlefield Earth".

Finn

Staff member
Or even better, with little tweaking, it could make a respectable sequel to "Van Helsing".

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Hey moderators: can I just post the whole Saucer Men script here? It's short as screenplays go, just over 20,000 words, 80 pages. Now, here's the bar scene. (Keep in mind this story was conceived by George Lucas, author of Star Wars 2: Anakin's Creek.)
----------
INT. CHAPEL - DAY
Indy wanders back into the church. He takes off his buttoner and tosses the flower. A WOMAN'S VOICE behind him brings him out of his thoughts...
MARION(V.O.)
I've always found that in times like this, it's always better to go and have a drink.
Indy sees Marion sitting in a pew.
INDY
No thanks, Marion.
Willie Scott joins her.
WILLIE
Oh, Indy... I'm so sorry. What you need right now is a little womanly comfort.
INT. BAR - NIGHT
Indy drowns his sorrows in a drink, surrounded on either side by Willie and Marion.
INDY
How could this have happened to me? I mean, I?m the catch of the century...
WILLIE
Oh, honey, I know. My hear breaks for you.
MARION
It's her lost, Indy...Though, it's true, you've never had good timing with women...
INDY
Good timing?
MARION
Remember the time in the desert you left me tied up...
WILLIE
Or the time you left me all alone in that palace just so you could go explore some tunnel...
INDY
Well, the least she could've done is tell me.
WILLIE
(to Marion)
He isn't the easiest person to talk to, either.
MARION
I know, and when he sleeps he does this little thing when he breathes...
WILLIE
(remembering)
...like this!...
They both emulate Indy sleeping and burst into fits of laughter.
INDY
You are wonderful company.
WILLIE
Oh, Indy, really...When it comes to women, you are so naive. Did it ever occur to you that you know very little about this person?
INDY
That's not true...
MARION
What are her favorite foods?
WILLIE
What is her favorite dress?
MARION
He's probably not seen her in anything but khakis.
Indy starts to protest, then realizes they have a point. He looks lower than ever.
WILLIE
Oh. Indy, don't look so sad, she probably just got cold feet.
Willie and Marion exchange a look, remembering...
WILLIE AND MARION
(together)
Cold feet!
They burst into laughter again.

Finn

Staff member
Uh, well... posting the whole script in this thread? Well... hmm. If you have it as a simple text file (or are planning to convert it as one), what prevents from uploading it someplace and providing us with a link rather than putting it all up here?

Besides, what is the legal status of the script? We don't want to burn our fingers with anything shady here.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It states on page one, "PROPERTY OF LUCASFILM LTD... REPRODUCTION OF THIS MATERIAL IN ANY FORM IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED." So I don't blame TheRaider for not leaping to be the first to post it. Yet I doubt Lucasfilm would protest, since it would draw attention to the script, and to themselves, chasing a leaked Indy 4 script like papers in the wind. Rumors would fly.

Finn, where's a great place to upload? If someone in Marin is waiting with a volley of damage control press releases, I'd like to get this over with, for everyone's sake.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
i hate this script. the fact that things like that exist makes me angry and sad. the fact that it hasn't been filmed strengthens my confidence in the beards. (weird side note: guess we have three beards right now.)
if i recall it right there are no more than three location in this script: jungle, church, american desert. wow, talking about exotic places i guess this is it. did indy loose his passport or what.
after reading the script i rushed to the dvd player to rewatch the trilogy, just to reassure myself that it is still there and indiana jones is an archeologist. i wasn't that sure anymore after i had finished reading the script.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, my favourite bit in the whole thing was Willie and Marion's appearance. That was hilarious!! Everything else, pretty much sucked.

JerryKing

Oh, dear. What is more painful? Comparing "Mars" and "Monkey King" is rather like wondering if syphillis is really better than AIDS...

The "quality" of Monkey King did not surprise me - after all, there is a reason why Terry Gilliam openly calls Christopher Columbus a horrible filmmaker - but I thought Stuart could do better than this...

Then again, he _did_ destroy "Just Cause" by turning it into an execrable Z-grade cop flick, and he _is_ doing "Hollow Man II" now... Perhaps his _good_ scripts were the rare hits of luck...?

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
JerryKing said:
Oh, dear. What is more painful? Comparing "Mars" and "Monkey King" is rather like wondering if syphillis is really better than AIDS...
Well, you can't get rid of AIDS with medication. Syphilis you can...