A New DVD Collection?

deckard24

I'll hold out for the Blu-Ray edition. Since the format war is now over, you can bet they'll drop the prices on the players and discs, and Indy will definitely be one of the first I get!

drjones

Stoo said:
By "exclusive", I meant not available anywhere else. Fish bait, y'know?;)

Not enough reason for me to go out and buy it again yet. Nice try, LucasFilm, but no dice. :gun:

OmegaSeamaster

Sakis said:
One thing that we all want to see is more Indy footage and they can offer it in the form of deleted scenes and making of documentries.

Personally, I was not impressed with the Indy DVDs that were released. The lack of commentary tracks and deleted scenes to me was inexcusable, and frankly it didn't surprise me given the poor fan-service track record by Lucasfilm. The flanneled one makes no illusions that he's only out to get your hard-earned cash, and if he's got to release the same movies 50 times, he will.

Plus, while the Lowery restoration work was fantastic, there's clearly something funky going on when Indy's getting the spiders off of Satipo's back. You can see the picture blur in and out of focus. This is also apparent at the very end of the film when Indy and Marion are walking down the steps arm in arm. Look at the top of the shot and it's all a warped blur.

Hopefully the Blu-Ray versions of the films will give fans everything they want with the blurs corrected.

sandiegojones

OmegaSeamaster said:
Personally, I was not impressed with the Indy DVDs that were released. The lack of commentary tracks and deleted scenes to me was inexcusable, and frankly it didn't surprise me given the poor fan-service track record by Lucasfilm. The flanneled one makes no illusions that he's only out to get your hard-earned cash, and if he's got to release the same movies 50 times, he will.

Plus, while the Lowery restoration work was fantastic, there's clearly something funky going on when Indy's getting the spiders off of Satipo's back. You can see the picture blur in and out of focus. This is also apparent at the very end of the film when Indy and Marion are walking down the steps arm in arm. Look at the top of the shot and it's all a warped blur.

Hopefully the Blu-Ray versions of the films will give fans everything they want with the blurs corrected.
You're wrong on this. Speilberg does not do, nor will he allow commentary on his films. Lucasfilm produced many other DVD's that have commentary. It's not with Indy due to Steven.

The special features are decent and the image transfer is great for standard DVD. The picture blur in Raiders is from the lens when they shot that scene in 1980.

And fans will never get what they want because they are never satisfied.

OmegaSeamaster

sandiegojones said:
The special features are decent and the image transfer is great for standard DVD. The picture blur in Raiders is from the lens when they shot that scene in 1980.

Really? I don't remember seeing blur at all on the original VHS versions, and after watching the films about 200 times each as a kid, I'm suprised I never noticed.

It didn't take me more than one viewing to see the blur on the DVDs, but perhaps that's because DVD makes everything more apparent as a superior medium.

Plus, I wouldn't say fans are never satisfied. From the get go (before the set was even a reality) all I wanted were the deleted scenes. If they were included I would have been stoked.

I guess we should look at it in this light...Indy's gun wasn't digitally removed and replaced with a walkie-talkie, nor were the special effects "enhanced" to match someone's "original vision." That in itself is a BLESSING. (y)

xVendetta17x

sandiegojones said:
You're wrong on this. Speilberg does not do, nor will he allow commentary on his films. Lucasfilm produced many other DVD's that have commentary. It's not with Indy due to Steven.

I didn't know Steven didn't do commentary's? Why's that?

AHegele

xVendetta17x said:
I didn't know Steven didn't do commentary's? Why's that?

1. he doesn't want anything interfering with his work while we are watching it
2. he doesn't want every little element to be exposed. loosing the magic.

Blue Jay

OmegaSeamaster said:

while the overall picture quality is great, there are also some scene in LC when Henry Jones Sen. and indy are driving with Sallah in Iskenderun and talking about that they are losing if they finish second.
It is all blurry and out of focus.
Still i think it was a great dvd set!

martinland

OmegaSeamaster said:
Hey, I thought I'm the only one to notice the former. Otherwise the Lowry work is great indeed.
It might be due to the semi-automatic process - just guessing; in Star Wars there's another such glitch: Because of conservative algorithms (they surely don't do this by hand like Criterion used to!) in one shot there's a big speck of dust on the left side of C3PO while he's wandering around in the desert, which even got _sharper_ and more _noticeable_. Hmmm, you have to take the bad with the good - otherwise these Lowry scans and transfers are great. One of the big eye-openers/demo DVDs for me has always been one of the first he did, which is 'North by Northwest'. The only gripe I have w/ this version is the fact that he did away with all film grain too, which makes it too clean for comfort/film...

Hmm, didn't notice the latter though.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with focus artifacts of anamorphic Panavision photography? (Which I _love_! Sadly it's nearly a thing of the past now - even the new Indy seems to have been shot in Super35 :( - I think I have to start another thread!! ;))

Last edited:

Blue Jay

martinland said:
Hmm, didn't notice the latter though.
Are you sure you're not confusing this with focus artifacts of anamorphic Panavision photography? (Which I _love_! Sadly it's nearly a thing of the past now - even the new Indy seems to have been shot in Super35 :( - I think I have to start another thread!! ;))

I really have no idea what that is, but i thought it fits the description above ;)
Could be anything.

It was just something that bothered me a bit.

martinland

Blue Jay said:
I really have no idea what that is, but i thought it fits the description above ;)
Could be anything.
It was just something that bothered me a bit.

Case solved.

I just popped in my beloved DVD. Yep, just what I thought:

What you're looking at is an artifact of anamorphic Panavision lenses.
Not the artistic lack/separation of depth of field I love, but uneven focus: The top part of frame in this shot is blurred.
(You may also notice that it's just this one shot, whereas the visual blunder in the Satipo sequence goes on and on (sadly). Looks to me like a combination of mis-registered source footage and erroneous automatic correction to make it worse...)

This is not the glory of anamorphic Panavision I am talking about in another thread. It isn't Lowry's fault either, it's in the original photography.

E.g. the glory of anamorphic can be seen just...
*counts*
...exactly three shots earlier, the medium (nowadays it would be a 'Bourne'-in-your-face closeup ;)!) close up of Indy turning to Marion on the stairs:

You see the beautiful out-of-focus elliptical lights in the background? That's movie magic and totally unreal, I love it!

No such thing in the LotR trilogy or any other Super35mm scope production... ;)

snake_surprise

Indy fan 235 said:
Oh boy, something tells me Lucas is going to make all the snakes Indy was afraid of in the Well of Souls turn out to be gummy worms.

That is hilarious.

And I wouldn't put it past him, either.

Salacious

While I know its part of the charm, I wouldnt mind Lucas fixing a couple of the bad fx shots in the series...as a "producer's" cut I guess? We already have the originals in a great transfer, so this isnt like the Star Wars situation.

Plane flying into the mountain explosion in TOD, couple of bad puppet shots during the mine car chase, bad mattle lines in TOD when Indy is climbing the bursted water wall, bad fx shots in LC (plane chase scene) are some that really stand out. What surprises me is that Raiders is older, yet I cant recall anything on the top of my head that needs fixing for that movie.

Raiders is really that good. What a perfect movie IMO.

xVendetta17x

Salacious said:
While I know its part of the charm, I wouldnt mind Lucas fixing a couple of the bad fx shots in the series...as a "producer's" cut I guess? We already have the originals in a great transfer, so this isnt like the Star Wars situation.

Plane flying into the mountain explosion in TOD, couple of bad puppet shots during the mine car chase, bad mattle lines in TOD when Indy is climbing the bursted water wall, bad fx shots in LC (plane chase scene) are some that really stand out. What surprises me is that Raiders is older, yet I cant recall anything on the top of my head that needs fixing for that movie.

Raiders is really that good. What a perfect movie IMO.

Half the charm of the movies is their amazing use of 80s effects

Last edited:

Salacious

I know. I said that in the first 8 words of my last post.

But if you are just restating it again...I agree. (y)

Darth Vile

Salacious,

Just to reply to your post. Whilst Raiders does have the least amount of effect shots in need of touch up, I think that's largely due to the fact that TOD and LC upped the anti as far as effects shots were concerned. TOD and LC were a lot more epic in scale i.e. more big set pieces. Of course that does not mean that you increase the quality, but that's another debate.