Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lao_Che

11YearsLater said:
3. Multiple timelines. Set about 2/3 of the movie in 1968 featuring Harrison Ford and about 1/3 of the movie in the late 1920s featuring a young actor playing Indiana.

Think I've mentioned the idea already but: young Indy in the prologue chasing an artifact that skips into the future for Ford carrying the main story. Say young Indy loses it in what looks like an explosion but it time travels and the future Indy ends up after what he thinks is a similar piece but realises it's actually the same one.

Connect it to some time god like Chronos or Aion who have been linked with snakes/serpents imagery, the afterlife and timelessness. Symbolism out the wazoo.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lao_Che said:
Think I've mentioned the idea already but: young Indy in the prologue chasing an artifact that skips into the future for Ford carrying the main story. Say young Indy loses it in what looks like an explosion but it time travels and the future Indy ends up after what he thinks is a similar piece but realises it's actually the same one.

Connect it to some time god like Chronos or Aion who have been linked with snakes/serpents imagery, the afterlife and timelessness. Symbolism out the wazoo.

Indiana Jones and the Season of Ouroboros?

Z dweller

11YearsLater said:
If I were advising the screenwriter of Indy 5, I would tell him the following:

1. Set the main part of the movie in the late 60s. Indy 4 took place in 1957, this movie will be released 11 years after that one, so 1968 would make perfect sense. The 1970s seem way too modern for Indiana Jones.

2. Don't reuse any supporting characers from any of the previous movies. No Short Round, and no Mutt! Nobody wants to see Indy as a family man. Ok, a Marion cameo could work.

3. Multiple timelines. Set about 2/3 of the movie in 1968 featuring Harrison Ford and about 1/3 of the movie in the late 1920s featuring a young actor playing Indiana.

4. Treat Indy 5 as both the end of the Indy series starring Ford and the beginning of the new Indy series starring a young actor (who plays Indy in the 1920s timeline).
Welcome to the Raven!

If you've been lurking here a while before you decided to join, you might already know that I wholeheartedly agree with the ideas you suggested. (y)

Darmok

That beard Ford's been growing out really does make him look a lot younger.

harrison-ford-talks-playing-indiana-jones-again-makes-surprise-visit.jpg

If he could just keep it during filming of the next Indy film, that'd be nice.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Darmok said:
That beard Ford's been growing out really does make him look a lot younger.

harrison-ford-talks-playing-indiana-jones-again-makes-surprise-visit.jpg

If he could just keep it during filming of the next Indy film, that'd be nice.
I wouldn't mind if Indy had a beard !

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Karen Allen:
I wish I could enlighten us all however, I think it’s a mystery at this time. I believe there will come a time where they make those decisions about who else is going to be in the film but all I can say is my fingers are crossed that they are going to include Marion back into the story and it will all be revealed when they are ready to let us know. Of course, the ‘they’ I’m talking about is Harrison, Steven, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, they hold the secrets and the purse strings to the future of the stories.

Raiders90

I have to wonder if they would even make decisions this early on with regard to casting and crew, outside of the obvious principals? The film isn't being released for another three years; filming likely won't start for another two years...I doubt they even have a script at this point. Probably the most basic of story outlines. I could be very wrong...But I do think it will be at least a year, year and a half before we hear any firm casting news, and even any story leaks (that turn out to be legit, anyway).

Raiders90

I believe Harrison still can play a believable Indy. Look at the Hanger 51 scene of KOTCS - it's pretty much agreed here and otherwise as probably being the best part of that film. Here was Harrison at 65 - Indy at 58 - punching, kicking, using his whip to swing, and yet none of that came off as stretching disbelief. I don't think I've ever seen any criticism of the Hanger 51 scene on those grounds either.

Indiana Jones is, at its heart, fundamentally unbelievable. The stunts in the early films stretched disbelief - even with a then young Harrison. No man in real life could pull himself up against a multi-ton truck going 60mph (while nursing a bleeding, shot up arm to boot). The submarine survival is about as believable as Nuketown. Few in real life could probably survive the raft or bridge scenes in TOD - at least not without several broken bones. The tank chase wasn't exactly realistic. Yet, Indy survives because he has God on his side - or just plain old fashioned dumb luck.

There's IMO plenty of ways in which Harrison could believably portray Indy even at his age while still engaging in action. Indy, we've seen time and again, really isn't a great fighter in hand to hand combat - he gets handily beaten without resorting to fighting dirty. I could see Ford's Indy being brutally beaten - and with his age, the stakes and tension would be that much higher than in previous entries - only to narrowly survive due to his famous dumb luck or a dirty, dirty trick.

They could also make him win fights more cleverly, using his wit rather than outright brawn to succeed while maintaining a high level of excitement and action. They could increase his use of the whip, or bring back gunplay which really has been missing since Raiders. You don't have to be a young man to survive a gun fight. I highly doubt they'd make Indy's age in the film match Harrison's in real life - Indy in the film would probably be no older than 65 and a 65 year old man can easily win a fight.

Harrison also has to his advantage the fact that he really hasn't aged visibly, since 2008. They need not have to set the film anymore than just a few years after KOTCS. I mean, LC and Raiders were separated by 7 years in filming, but only by 2 years within the films themselves. Minor aging (facially) could be corrected with makeup and Hollywood movie magic. While Han Solo isn't as action-oriented a role as Indy, Harrison in TFA showed he still has the gravitas and charisma to pull off a convincing leading man. He was the highlight of that film IMO.

The problem with KOTCS wasn't Indy's age. It was that his age was played mainly for yucks, rather than being given dramatic or thematic gravitas. Hanger 51 showed Indy (and thus Harrison) could still realistically kick ass - but then Steven and George decided to pull back for the rest of the film and make Indy a passive observer. If anything, Harrison was underused, after proving he still had it.

The question for me isn't "Can Harrison still credibly play Indy?". It's more - will Disney/Spielberg/etc work with his age in a credible fashion, and how will they execute it?

The biggest flaws of KOTCS lay in the way the film's ideas were executed - not the ideas themselves IMO.

Raiders90

Actually, more concerning than Harrison's age is John Williams. His last few soundtracks haven't exactly been inspired...Certainly not up to his former standard. Music was a huge part of especially the original three films - almost a character in and of itself, giving greater "oomph" to every scene and lending atmosphere where needed. Imagine the truck chase in Raiders, or the Utah 1912 segment with a lesser score. My question isn't if Harry is still up to it - it's if John Williams can give Indy 5 a score that can stand alongside the masterpieces of the original three films.

Walecs

Raiders112390 said:
Actually, more concerning than Harrison's age is John Williams. His last few soundtracks haven't exactly been inspired...Certainly not up to his former standard. Music was a huge part of especially the original three films - almost a character in and of itself, giving greater "oomph" to every scene and lending atmosphere where needed. Imagine the truck chase in Raiders, or the Utah 1912 segment with a lesser score. My question isn't if Harry is still up to it - it's if John Williams can give Indy 5 a score that can stand alongside the masterpieces of the original three films.

That's what I've been thinking too. The Force Awakens score was very weak and disappointing, and although Crystal Skull had some nice themes (Irina's theme and Call of the Crystal) it felt week as well and relied too much upon original trilogy's scores (it made sense reusing Marion's theme and Henry's theme when Henry Jones Sr. got mentioned the first time, but others were used too much).

My vote goes to Clint Bajakian. He made some very good themes for Fate of Atlantis, Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb.

Mark Griskey's scores for The Force Unleashed I & II felt very Williams-esque as well, although I don't know what an Indy's score by him would sound like.

I opened a thread about this a couple of years ago, we may continue this discussion there: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=23121

Indy Jones

What surprises me is people thinking the time gap in the film has to match reality. I think they only did that with KOTCS because it allowed them to tap into the flavor of the 1950s with was necessary to their "'50s sci-fi" homage aspect. Harrison was playing younger; at 66, he was playing a 58 year old Indiana Jones.

The story doesn't have to move into the 1970s. You can place it squarely in the early-mid '60s. '64 or '65. And it would probably be taking place in rural/jungle/desert areas anyway, so aside from framing the story with the aspects of the period (just as KOTCS did), the era isn't going to be prevalent. Nothing about KOTCS' setting screamed the 1950s except where necessary.

hunter79

Even though I'd change a few things about it, I wouldn't mind if they used a story similar to my entry for the Indy 5 contest a few years back... :D

Indiana Jones and the Lost Temple of Time
by Andrew Rhodes

1963: Point Glyphadia near the Greek island of Antikythera. Armed with only a spear gun, Indiana Jones explores an ancient shipwreck and discovers the Antikythera Clock. The device is an astronomical clock that points the way to a lost, advanced civilization.
A run in with a large squid and band of pirates leads to a shocking discovery for the adventurer: the pirates are being guided by none other than Mutt Jones, Indy's estranged son. Mutt steals the artifact from Indy and escapes.
Indy learns that his beloved Marion has been keeping Mutt's involvement with the seedier side of humanity a secret. Seems he's in too deep now, with no foreseeable way out.
Mutt's employer, a Russian super-agent, wants to use the device to locate the lost civilization, but not for academic reasons. Legend says there's a temple there that was actually a portal through time and space. Mutt has a debt to pay, and an eye for the leader's fair daughter. In too deep indeed.
And so the race is on, Father versus Son, from the ruins of Greece, to the misty booby-trapped castles of the Carpathian Mountains, where Indy is trapped in a vampire bat-filled catacomb.
Finally they reach the lost island off the Coast of Antarctica. A ski mobile chase across ice bridges leads them to ruins and frozen remains of a civilization like we've never seen before. At the center of it all is the Time Temple itself. By way of this Time Temple, the climax finds Indy on a dizzying tour/chase through the golden ages of the very civilizations (Egyptian, Mayan, etc.) that he has devoted his life to understanding. His entire legacy right before his eyes.
Along the way, Father will reconcile with son, using their combined talents to save the world and their family once more.

Lambonius

Raiders112390 said:
Harrison also has to his advantage the fact that he really hasn't aged visibly, since 2008.

As much as I love Harrison Ford and think he looks great for his age, this statement is not at all true, unless you're looking through drunk goggles. The man's jowls look like a melting candle. The beard hides it nicely though--I hope they stick with that look for the film.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
As much as I love Harrison Ford and think he looks great for his age, this statement is not at all true, unless you're looking through drunk goggles. The man's jowls look like a melting candle. The beard hides it nicely though--I hope they stick with that look for the film.

He's been jowly since around 2000, though, so to me an inch extra or two of droop is neglible.

2006:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...t-pose-during-the-33rd-afi-picture-id53046990

2016:
harrison-ford.jpg

Even as early as the late 90s/early 2000s he was beginning to get droopy. That pic can be no earlier than 2004 because he's still with his first wife there.
Melissa-Mathison.jpg

2000:
174883255-melissa-mathison-harrison-ford-sharon-stone-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
Okay, fair point. I still say he looks noticeably older now than in KOTCS though.

I think he was looking older, but playing in TFA seems to have given him a second wind. I haven't seen him look, or act, as lively in years. Even in interviews from around the late 90s on, he would mumble and be pretty awkward - always came off almost stoned. But he seems to have new life in him since TFA - look at the Kimmel interview recently.

I do think the beard - or at least a level of stubble - would be able to pass him off as being say, 65, in an Indy 5 set in 1964 or so. He certainly, with the beard, doesn't look like a man of his age.

Raiders90

A worry of mine is that Disney will kill off Harrison's Indy in the new film, to ensure fans can't get an Indy 6 with Ford even if they want one. Both to really push their new actor as the only alternative, and also because a younger actor would probably be paid a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.