Nephilim and Archeology

Pale Horse

Staff member
Has anyone ever considered this aspect of the Bible and Aliens? See Genesis 6 and consider the idea of theology and astrology crossing streams....

MaxPhactor23

There is nothing blatantly alien (extraterrestrial) in the bible. It’s all conspiracy theory at best, and most would deem it rather ridiculous. It's coined as psuedo archeology. It's not the real stuff. It's like reading the tabloids and taking everything word-for-word. It’s digging deeper then it was ever intended, not to mention in entirely the wrong place. Aliens in archeology happens to be pure fantasy. Until the day they have evidence, it will be laughed at by academia and anyone with so much as common sense. They'll never get proof and we'll continue laughing. Those are the facts.

Last edited:

|ZiR|

Weren't the nephilim the bastard offspring of fallen angels and human women? I think Goliath was supposed to have been one.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yes, that is one theory. The "Darabont" draft makes reference to them as well on page 125, when they are speaking through Oxley.

Begs the question, have "giants" been found in the regions of the mid east, or the Amazon Basin.

Dust McAlan

While it clearly states that the "the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown" this is also echoed by the Pharoahs of Egypt, who called themselves "sons of God" to enhance the power they had over their subjects, calling themselves deities. However, this is a point made by an overtly Christian resource. When recalling this, that the Pharoahs called themselves sons of God, and that the Bible clearly references the "sons of God [that] came in unto the daughters of men" it's difficult to pass off the notion that the nephilim were extraterrestrial. Indeed, the chapter in question notes that there "were giants [nephilim] in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men..." decidedly inferencing the idea that the nephilim were there BEFORE man, and came to them after the fact.

The idea of extraterrestrial origin and intellectual design is hot button, because of multiple theories which state that it's impossible, and also of clearly religious import and design. One theory is that saying we were created by a creator leads to the necessity of that creator being CREATED by another creator, and on and on and on, which therefore makes proving it impossible and highly unlikely. And multiple court rulings have stated that intelligent design (by deity or alien) is a matter of religion, and as religious ideas have been ruled to not be taught in science classrooms, so to does that idea go out the window.

People, I think, will discuss it, but should you bring it up in any "serious" scientific conversation, it'll be laughed at and dismissed.

agentsands77

Dust McAlan said:
Indeed, the chapter in question notes that there "were giants [nephilim] in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men..." decidedly inferencing the idea that the nephilim were there BEFORE man, and came to them after the fact.
The passage suggests nothing of the kind.

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown."

Clearly the text suggests that the Nephilim were only present *after* man, given the text's explanation that the Nephilim are human offspring (and identified as "men," regardless of what their parentage was).

The Nephilim also appear later on in the Biblical texts, since the "sons of Anak" are said to be the descendants of the Nephilim. They, too, are described as tall, giant-like people, and their presence is one of the reasons the Hebrew people are so reluctant to move into the land of Israel.

Pale Horse said:
Yes, that is one theory. The "Darabont" draft makes reference to them as well on page 125, when they are speaking through Oxley.

Begs the question, have "giants" been found in the regions of the mid east, or the Amazon Basin.

The Patagons of Patagonia were mistaken for giants because of their unusual height averaging about 6'6" which was an unusual human height for that time period. Tha Chankas of Peru who were said to be 7 feet tall with red hair. Also the Norse legends of Ultima Thule led the Nazis to believe in a race of giant Aryan supermen.

MaxPhactor23

Dust McAlan said:
People, I think, will discuss it, but should you bring it up in any "serious" scientific conversation, it'll be laughed at and dismissed.

Of course. It's one of those things that will never be taken even remotely seriously until some shred of undeniable evidence is discovered. There really is no point in teaching something that’s most likely an elaborate hoax birthed by hucksters. Ancient Astronaut theorist like to boast claims of sufficient evidence, but they seem to be the only ones that believe so. It’s like this one theory that the pyramids are far older then Khufu and subsequently they were built before his reign. Their “sufficient evidence” was that the rock on the great Giza pyramid was dated to far earlier and thus is must have be of extraterrestrial origin. Well there is a blatant hole in that theory right there and anyone with common sense should abruptly see it. The dating on the rock proves how old the rock used in the pyramid is…not how old the pyramid is itself. Yet these people run with these illogical and extravagant theories simply to make money off of the gullible. It will always be astonishing to me as to how people will actually believe this kind of thing over cold hard scientific fact. I will never understand that mindset. People believe in this sort of thing merely because they want to. It’s really that simple. They don’t especially care if there is or isn’t evidence, they enjoy this because it’s far more dramatic then the reality of it. The truth is that it’s fantasy, but don‘t tell them that. As for me, I’m much quicker to take the word of the scientific and archeological community. I only see that as being logical. Believing preposterous theories proposed by the likes of Eric Von Daniken would be like taking the national inquirer as fact…and dismissing the New York Times and rubbish. Obviously that’s mixed up. Ancient Astronaut theories will be dismissed as insane or con artists by the educated community (most likely) forever…

Sarika

This is a topic I have become very interested in for the last few years when I learned about it.

There is a wonderful book by a writer called Zecharia Sitchin, titled "The Twelfth Planet".

The Nephilm were a race that indeed interbred with the daughters of man on Earth.
But man also has it's origins from the Nephilim or the Anunnaki.
The Nephilim came to Earth in need of gold resource after theirs had become somewhat depleted on thier planet, which resides in our solar system, way way out in deep space, orbiting the sun in a wide clockwise motion(like the comets do), as opposed to our earth and the other planets known to us, that orbit anit-clockwise around the sun.

It takes Nibiru 3,600 years to complete one orbital journey, and it was last in this vicinity around 160 B.C.E.

As one site I found, says:

"The tale is essentially this: About 450,000 years ago, Alalu, the deposed ruler of the Anunnaki on Nibiru, escaped the planet on a spaceship and found refuge on Earth. He discovered that Earth had plenty of gold, which Nibiru needed to protect its diminishing atmosphere. They began to mine Earth's gold, and there were a lot of political battles among the Anunnaki for power. Then around 300,000 years or so ago, the Anunnaki decided to create a race of workers by genetically manipulating the primates on the planet. The result was homo sapiens - us. Eventually, rulership of the Earth was handed over to humans and the Anunnaki left, at least for the time being. Sitchin ties all this - and much more - into the stories of the first books of the Bible and the histories of other ancient cultures, especially Egyptian.

It's an astonishing story, to say the least. Most historians, anthropologists and archeologists consider it all Sumerian myth, of course. But Sitchin's work has created a diehard cadre of believers and researchers who take the story at face value. And some of them, whose ideas are getting widespread attention thanks to the Internet, contend that the return of Nibiru is close at hand - possibly as soon as somewhere between 2003 and 2013!"

Now do you want to hear the possible truth of the Virgin Mary ?
We use artificial insemination in today's science and medicine. What we know today is simply what we have "Re-learned" down the ages since the global deluge. When all that technology and science and medicine was lost in that catastrophic event.

It was only a miracle to those who didn't understand it. But a woman today can become pregnant without a sexual encounter. It is very possible that the same medical technique was present even then, as it was knowledge that was being used in secret perhaps.

We revel at the sophisticated methods used by many ancient civilizations, and we should leave room to understand that they knew much more than most of us want to consider possible.

Have a little think.
Why were the Egyptians so fully formed in their mathematics, science and art and their building technique, when thier civilization sprang up from the desert?

They already possessed the knowledge. They didn't struggle for centuries learning it or developing thier abilities and knowledge. They had it already in their memory or what was passed down to them from a greater time on Earth, from those who survived that deluge.

Food for thought. Or my two cents worth.;)

Last edited:
Sarika said:
...when thier civilization sprang up from the desert?
Thier civilization sprang up from the desert?

Not to intentionally get off on the wrong foot, but...
Sarika said:
They already possessed the knowledge. They didn't struggle for centuries learning it or developing thier abilities and knowledge. They had it already in their memory or what was passed down to them from a greater time on Earth, from those who survived that deluge.
While not as fantastic as the stage you've set, the traditions and accumulated knowledge may simply have been lost/destroyed or recorded on an unsustainable format...like betamax.

I'd love to know on what basis you contend: "They didn't struggle for centuries learning it or developing thier abilities and knowledge."

Last edited:

indyt

teampunk said:
the giants in the bible sound a whole lot like the titans in greek mythology.

That is what Josephus said in his works of Jewish history and the wars of the Jews. I have studied Gen 6 with intensity. Being a Christian, I believe that fallen angels co-habitated with women and the neph were produced. Some say that Nimrod was a Neph. I also feel that many of the ancient gods, if not all could have been remnants of the Neph or demons masquerading as gods. I know alot of you would not agree, but those are my feelings about the Neph. It is really an interesting study. Would make a great Indy movie!

Pale Horse

Staff member
indyt said:
... I have studied Gen 6 with intensity. Being a Christian, I believe that fallen angels co-habitated with women and the neph were produced. ... It is really an interesting study. Would make a great Indy movie!

Indeed it is, and I am not contending with you (we're more alike than you know) but ...

The Bible said:
He answered, "You're off base on two counts: You don't know your Bibles, and you don't know how God works. At the resurrection we're beyond marriage. As with the angels, all our ecstasies and intimacies then will be with God. And regarding your speculation on whether the dead are raised or not, don't you read your Bibles? The grammar is clear: God says, 'I am?not was?the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob.' The living God defines himself not as the God of dead men, but of the living."

It's been made clear in the scriptures that the angels are not given to intimacy...therefore you can not have demonic relations of a procreating nature...

Gabeed

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd love to know on what basis you contend: "They didn't struggle for centuries learning it or developing thier abilities and knowledge."

Yeah, that's one hell of a claim, given that pre-dynastic and proto-dynastic ancient Egypt are, in a way, the "struggle for centuries" Sarika is talking about. History Channel shows like to say the same thing about Egypt just popping up into existence (the "springing up in the desert" phrase sounds familiar, too). It sounds cool, but it's bit of an oversimplification.

indyt

Pale Horse said:
Indeed it is, and I am not contending with you (we're more alike than you know) but ...

It's been made clear in the scriptures that the angels are not given to intimacy...therefore you can not have demonic relations of a procreating nature...

Yea, I see where you are coming from PH. I beleive that the 1/3 of the angels fell when Satan was cast out of heaven. These angels became evil spirits, or demons. These demons were filled with sin and desires. Therefore I would not put it past these "angels turned bad" to do the things that Gen 6 says. Josephus goes into this as well as the "Book of Enoch" and the "Book of Jubilees". I read them a couple of years ago. They are not in the canon, but a quote from Enoch is in the book of Jude. Jude also quotes from "The assumptions of Moses." I do not think the Apocrypha or other "extra-biblical" books are inspired by the Holy Spirit, but they are useful for history. And very interesting.

Check out II Peter 2:4 and Jude 6