Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1

Avilos

I hope that the current people at DK really read those old Marvel comics. So they see how effective those were. Maybe new Indiana Jones comics will be closer to that.

I think part of the reason is that it was a monthly series. With story lines usually only lasting a couple issues. DK's miniseries usually did not have a strong enough idea to sustain those lengths. Also they seem to aim too high. Envisioning every new adventure as an equal to a movie plot. I rather see smaller treasure hunts and other types of story. Saving big "Indy must get this object or its the end of the world" for when they have a great idea. The first Indiana Jones Adventures issue was exactly the right way to go.

Goonie

It seems none of the local bookstores has the Further Adventures Omnibus yet, so I may have to special order it.

I was just pondering, does anybody think Dark horse may release a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Omnibus in the future that features all 12 issues of the Dark Horse series? It would be great to release that to complete the full set of Indiana Jones comics.

DIrishB

Goonie said:
It seems none of the local bookstores has the Further Adventures Omnibus yet, so I may have to special order it.

I was just pondering, does anybody think Dark horse may release a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Omnibus in the future that features all 12 issues of the Dark Horse series? It would be great to release that to complete the full set of Indiana Jones comics.

I'm sure they would if sales of the current Indy Omnibus' hold strong.

As for bookstores not having it, I couldn't agree more. I'd pre-ordered it on Amazon.com, but for some reason (even though it was released in February), its not shipping until May. Either they sold more than they were expecting (which is good news), or their order was delayed for some reason (maybe because its a large order for their online sales). So far, only specialty/comic shops seem to have gotten them in. I was going to just order it through my comic shop, but I'm getting it for like $10 cheaper through Amazon, and I already own the complete series in single issues, so I'm not in a huge rush to get the Omnibus (well, I am...just not as bad since I already have the issues). I hope they solicit Volume 2 soon.

yodazone

DIrishB said:
I'm sure they would if sales of the current Indy Omnibus' hold strong.

As for bookstores not having it, I couldn't agree more. I'd pre-ordered it on Amazon.com, but for some reason (even though it was released in February), its not shipping until May. Either they sold more than they were expecting (which is good news), or their order was delayed for some reason (maybe because its a large order for their online sales). So far, only specialty/comic shops seem to have gotten them in. I was going to just order it through my comic shop, but I'm getting it for like $10 cheaper through Amazon, and I already own the complete series in single issues, so I'm not in a huge rush to get the Omnibus (well, I am...just not as bad since I already have the issues). I hope they solicit Volume 2 soon.

Amazon's not shipping your copy till May??? That's weird. I got a copy a last week from them and it arrived in 3 days from when I ordered it.

Last edited:

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Amazon's not shipping your copy till May??? That's weird. I got a copy a last week from them and it arrived in 3 days from when I ordered it.

WTF???

:mad:

Amazon's got some 'splaining to do. I pre-ordered it from them back in October when I first heard it was being released. This is BS.

(n)

yodazone

DIrishB said:
WTF???

:mad:

Amazon's got some 'splaining to do. I pre-ordered it from them back in October when I first heard it was being released. This is BS.

(n)

Amazon has a contact number now for orders. I would try their number and tell them to overnight it to you especially if you pre-ordered it in Oct. They'd Fedex overnight if you tell them there's a problem. (worked for me with their other books)

(y)

DIrishB

yodazone said:
Amazon has a contact number now for orders. I would try their number and tell them to overnight it to you especially if you pre-ordered it in Oct. They'd Fedex overnight if you tell them there's a problem. (worked for me with their other books)

(y)

Actually, I think I figured it out. I ordered the Further Adventures book at the same time as the two upcoming Indy books for young readers (Pyramid of the Sorcerer and Monsters of Mount Sinai). I must have clicked the button to group the shipments together, hence its just waiting on those two books to be released in early May and all three will ship together.

Oh well...as said, I have the single issues, I'm just anxious to check out the updated coloring, etc, to see how they compare to the originals.

indyclone25

i enjoyed the marvel reprints ! can't wait for the next book . i also have the originals and like you i like to see the new coloring

DIrishB

indyclone25 said:
i enjoyed the marvel reprints ! can't wait for the next book . i also have the originals and like you i like to see the new coloring

Looks like May and June will be filled with Indy for me! I'll be reading through the Further Adventures Omnibus and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer and Monsters of Mount Sinai books in May, and June will bring the new Indy video game Staff of Kings. Nice way to kick off the summer!!

Plaristes

I just got my copy. The colors are great, but I'm not fond of the smaller size. The reprinted covers just look wrong being that small. :(

phantom train

Plaristes said:
I just got my copy. The colors are great, but I'm not fond of the smaller size. The reprinted covers just look wrong being that small. :(

I completely understand the concern about the smaller size - given the choice, I would also have preferred the comics to have been reprinted in the normal size.

However, I think that in order to justify these reprints at all, DH almost had to reprint these in the smaller size in order to keep costs down - this Omnibus was $25, and if all of the comics had been reprinted in the normal size, I have a feeling it would have been possibly $35-$40. Since that amount may be been too much for some fans, they opted for the smaller size, and the lower price.

Re: the covers, I'm glad that we have them all reprinted, since previous DH Omnibuses only reprinted 2-3 covers in a collection of 10 (or more) comics (including the DH IJ reprints).

The Magic Rat

phantom train said:
I completely understand the concern about the smaller size - given the choice, I would also have preferred the comics to have been reprinted in the normal size.

However, I think that in order to justify these reprints at all, DH almost had to reprint these in the smaller size in order to keep costs down - this Omnibus was $25, and if all of the comics had been reprinted in the normal size, I have a feeling it would have been possibly $35-$40. Since that amount may be been too much for some fans, they opted for the smaller size, and the lower price.

Re: the covers, I'm glad that we have them all reprinted, since previous DH Omnibuses only reprinted 2-3 covers in a collection of 10 (or more) comics (including the DH IJ reprints).

I paid like 16 dollars for it. The smaller size for an excellent price is a-okay to me.

Kevin

I got this from Amazon last week, and just finished the Raiders adaptation. I thought it was interesting to see elements from the film and the novel blended throughout the comic. I am looking forward to reading the rest!

I finally picked this up today at Borders for 40% off, so now I don't have to drag the comic box out of the closet to read the old ones--at least the first twelve issues. I parted ways with the Raiders adaptation years ago, so it's nice to have that again. I actually had the three issues as well as the Raiders Marvel special full color from 1981 and it'll be fun to read that again. My pre-order for vol 2 is in!

As for the smaller size, it's the best Marvel Indy collection we're going to get. When I posted this thread five years ago, I didn't think Marvel Indy reprints were likely; I should've known George Lucas better than that! I'm just happy that these are in full color and weren't relegated to black and white prugatory of the Essentials-type collection!

Jono11

InBanana Jones said:
I should've known George Lucas better than that!
Pfffffffffffffffffffffff. Don't give that bastard any credit. He could give a damn. You should be thanking Dark Horse. Those guys have made a wonderful, consistent effort over the years to make sure that every Star Wars and Indiana Jones comic book continues to be available. Very admirable stuff they've done reprinting the old Marvel SW and Indy comics.

Jono11 said:
Pfffffffffffffffffffffff. Don't give that bastard any credit. He could give a damn. You should be thanking Dark Horse. Those guys have made a wonderful, consistent effort over the years to make sure that every Star Wars and Indiana Jones comic book continues to be available. Very admirable stuff they've done reprinting the old Marvel SW and Indy comics.

I wasn't! It was more a crack on how he'd do anything to squeeze another buck out of a property.:)

phantom train

InBanana Jones said:
I finally picked this up today at Borders for 40% off, so now I don't have to drag the comic box out of the closet to read the old ones--at least the first twelve issues. I parted ways with the Raiders adaptation years ago, so it's nice to have that again. I actually had the three issues as well as the Raiders Marvel special full color from 1981 and it'll be fun to read that again. My pre-order for vol 2 is in!

As for the smaller size, it's the best Marvel Indy collection we're going to get. When I posted this thread five years ago, I didn't think Marvel Indy reprints were likely; I should've known George Lucas better than that! I'm just happy that these are in full color and weren't relegated to black and white prugatory of the Essentials-type collection!

Re: your second paragraph above, I whole-heartedly agree. I give extreme thanks to Dark Horse for reprinting these in color, and with the covers intact. I'm a huge fan of Marvel and DC comics from the '70's and '80's ("Amazing Spider-Man", "Peter Parker, the SSM", "Moon Knight", "New Teen Titans", etc.), and most of the time these reprints are only available in the b&w format (if they're available at all).

So, it's especially impressive that DH took the time to re-color and re-format these "Further Adventures of IJ" comics for these reprints.

phantom train said:
Re: your second paragraph above, I whole-heartedly agree. I give extreme thanks to Dark Horse for reprinting these in color, and with the covers intact. I'm a huge fan of Marvel and DC comics from the '70's and '80's ("Amazing Spider-Man", "Peter Parker, the SSM", "Moon Knight", "New Teen Titans", etc.), and most of the time these reprints are only available in the b&w format (if they're available at all).

So, it's especially impressive that DH took the time to re-color and re-format these "Further Adventures of IJ" comics for these reprints.

With Indy getting reprinted, my interest in the comics of my childhood has been renewed, too. I'm spending this summer revisiting these old favorites. The Indy books I pretty much have memorized, especially the first dozen or so issues, but after that it gets a little hazier; a few of the last issues I've never read, so Omnibus Vol. 3 will have some "new" stories for me to read.

I'm so happy that Indy is getting the Dark Horse treatment, as I loved their Star Wars TPBs of five years ago.

Yes, the so-called Bronze Age of Comics hasn't received the DC Archives or Marvel Masterworks treatment, well, at least the truly magnificent Chris Claremont-John Byrne Uncanny X-Men run has been beautifully reproduced in the Masterworks line; my favorite comics of them all, super-hero wise. Got vol. 5 yesterday--at an actual comic book store!

Other 1970s-80s comics I'd love to get recolored are the Michelinie/Romita, Jr./Layton Iron Man run (#119-153) and John Byrne's Fantastic Four (#232-293). There are others, but don't want to stray off Indy...

Last edited:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
InBanana Jones said:
Other 1970s-80s comics I'd love to get recolored are the Michelinie/Romita, Jr./Layton Iron Man run (#119-153) and John Byrne's Fantastic Four (#232-293). There are others, but don't want to stray off Indy...

Me too, the Demon in a Bottle and The Many Armors of Iron Man that I got from Amazon have really wet my appetite.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/02/04/comic-book-legends-revealed-246/

COMIC LEGEND: Marvel assigned John Byrne The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones as a way to make up for displeasing Lucasfilms with their Raiders of the Lost Ark adaptation.

A couple of years back, Elliott Ruben Serrano (who you can read over at Comics Waiting Room here) wrote in to ask essentially that exact question:

Way back in the day, I'd heard that George Lucas was quite displeased with John Buscema's work on Marvel's Raiders of the Lost Ark adaptation so Marvel made up for it by getting John Byrne to produce their Further Adventures of Indiana Jones series. True or False?

The John Buscema part is very much true.

John Buscema (on breakdowns) and Klaus Janson (on finishes) did the art on the Raiders of the Lost Ark comic book adaptation, with a script by Walt Simonson.

As was often the case, the adapters were working from an old version of the script for the film, so the Marvel take differed from the actual film, but basically it was a fine, normal adaptation.

Lucasfilm, though, hated it.

Well, the person in charge of the comic book license hated it, at least. I don't know if George Lucas was really even that involved in stuff like comic adaptations at this point.

In any event, they did, indeed, as Elliot alluded to, give Marvel a hard time over the work.

And Byrne WAS involved in assuaging their feelings, but not in the way that Elliot heard the story.

You see, Marvel wanted to do an Indiana Jones licensed comic, which made sense, as the property was a popular one.

But after their displeasure with the movie adaptation, Lucasfilm was hesitant. However, Marvel was able to convince them to approve the concept by explaining that John Byrne, one of Marvel's very top creators, wanted to do the comic, and he would write and pencil it (with Terry Austin inking it). So Marvel's pitch was "The book will be done by our top guy, so you know it will be good."

So Lucasfilm agreed, and Byrne did the first two issues of The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones...

And they were quite good.

And Lucasfilm? Not exactly fans.

Byrne has told the story a few times about how infuriating it was working with the licensing personal at Lucasfilm. Perhaps the funniest story involves the executive from Lucasfilm asking for the plot (which they had approved) to be edited when they were shown the final pages. Yes, when the comic was finished, they wanted to know if you could just change the plot of the already drawn pages to something else. Likely, they were so used to working with advertising, where such demands were not so out of whack, but still, it showed a pretty dramatic lack of understanding for how comic books worked.

In any event, Byrne naturally did not want to work on the book anymore, so a new creative team was found.

The book still continued to be a good book, really - Archie Goodwin and David Michelinie did a good job writing the book and Kerry Gammill and Steve Ditko were fine choices for the regular artists.

But an extended run by Byrne and Austin sure would have been a sight to see!

Elliot asked another question that I don't know the answer to, but I imagine it is a simple answer like "Lucasfilm wanted it changed," but when the series was promoted, it was done so with ads calling the book Raiders of (fill in the blank)...

raidersicons.jpg

raiderssentinel.jpg

Anyone know exactly why they changed it?

Thanks again to Elliot for the question and thanks to John Byrne for telling the story about his adventures on the Indiana Jones comic in more than a few places!