A Guide to Gear and Props. What to buy?

Indy Geek

Very explicit post

I think it´s the first someone on a post about Indy gear, as explain to me, most of the doubts I had about it (of course, not forgetting the people how helped me through email).
Nevertheless, Great collection!!!!(y)

Mr. Z

Snakes, did you decide on a jacket yet? You should really check with the folks at Club Obi-Wan; they really know their stuff.

Indy Geek

There are so many variations of the same item...It´s difficult to choose which one to buy (and the most screen alike).:confused:

Ska

Looking for a satchel...

OK, so I've been looking for a satchel/gas mask bag to use for work. I want it to look Indy'ish, but it has to be a little larger to hold a clipboard/tape measure/scale/etc. (I work at an Engineering firm and do some field measurements). I've had a US M24 gas mask bag for a while, but it's too small to hold a standard clipboard.

Are any of the other satchels large enough to hold one?

I was wondering if you were to replace the crystal on an Acme Artifacts headpiece with a Swarovski crystal you have to remove the mirrored backing, do you inset it with two opposing crystals on each side?

Deckard

Agent Spalko said:
I was wondering if you were to replace the crystal on an Acme Artifacts headpiece with a Swarovski crystal you have to remove the mirrored backing, do you inset it with two opposing crystals on each side?

Well it depends if the hole goes all the way through the headpiece or not. I'm fairly certain on mine, it is a one piece crystal, not 2, but I don't have an acme. Heres mine.

y.jpg

That looks very similar to the Acme one. Is that the from Stridec or Costumebase? I think I read over on Indygear that the Swarovski crystals needed to be sanded down because the back is not perfectly flat and is pointed in the center. I was thinking about purchasing an Acme and wanted to know if I need to order 1 or 2 Swarovski Topaz crystals to replace the acrylic one with.

Love your Idol, btw. Is that one of Gobler's? I'd love to get one.

Deckard

Mine may or may not be a one of a kind. Some speculated it is a Redfour headpiece, while the seller, who happened to have the ebay name Abner Ravenwood, claimed it was made just for him and the only one. It is cast in bronze, gold plated and has a real swarovski crystal, the correct movie size which are no longer made. I also have the costumebay which is cool but no where near as nice. The Acme is cool, but not cast in bronze which is why I prefer mine. "A worthless bronze medallion."

And yes that is the Gobler idol and if you can get in on the 2nd run DO NOT hesitate, taken from an original mold, and electroplated gold by the original company who also did C-3PO. Its my favorite piece by far.

Yeah I'd like to get in on Gobler's second run if I can ever get my account activated over there.

I believe the Swarovski's were the 48ss 11mm, correct? I found a few suppliers on ebay selling them.

As for the headpiece itself, I never took the line to literally mean it was bronze, but rather a tactic to trick Marion into thinking it was worthless. It definitely looks more gold in the film. Yours looks very nice.

Blue Jay

right know i wonder if there will be the crystal skull available as a 1:1 replica?
I know Deckard got one, but i mean something less expensive, more for the general public, like costumebase's head piece of the staff of ra, which maybe not a 100 % accurate, but still like 90 % with the right size.

one can dream, right? :p

Jones JR

Katarn07 said:
Lost out on this by a cent. :(

whip1.jpg

It's a 10' 8 plait snake whip.I would have put my max bid in with seconds to go like usual, but it ended at 6:00 and that's when I get off of work.

I ended up getting this one instead.

d56d_1.JPG

It's a 10' four plait. I did not get this one from jrzjoe. This one costs less than his and is from a seller called borderlinedesign. I think it looks kind of cheap compared to the snakewhip I lost, but it was only $25! That's cheaper than jrzjoe's and from the pics as good of quality. I feel better having spent only that much rather than $100+ for something I'm never going to use. Perhaps in the future I'll upgrade to a Winrich, Caicedo's, or even Todd's, but I think this will hold me over until that day comes.

Don´t want to be stupid and have bad attitude but that whip doesn´t look like an Indy whip at all too me. Yeah right if you don´t want to pay much but it´s not enough accurate too me.

eazybox

Mr. Fusion said:
I don't know if anyone has brought up the Christys' Adventurer fedora. You can find it here:
Fur felt Hornets Hats

I ordered one earlier today. I think it would be better than a Federation IV, which also looks like a great hat.

Here's the Fed IV:
Federation IV

The Christy's Adventurer, which the last time I looked, was $98.00, is the same hat that Herbert Johnson sells for hundreds of dollars more. It's basically the same hat that was used in the first three movies, but with a different label. There's a thread about it at COW and people who bought it seem very pleased.

Jack

Indy Byrd

my gear

I have a Indy holster that I had made custom for my .22 ( I know not exactly like Indy's but the closest I have right now) at my local tack and leather shop (for $55.00) . They also made my whip holster for my 10' whip which cost me around $10.00) that works really well. It is snug against the whip which keeps it from unwinding on me. I also ordered my 10' kangaroo whip from Victor Tella, (snakewhip.com) who did a wonderful job on it and for a resonable price, $477.00 total, shipping and all. As for the bag, I made my own from screen shots and detailed pics of the original Mark VII bag that Harrison Ford wore in the movies.

Raider S

Deckard, you have some nice things there. Can you please tell me a bit more about the framed 'leap of faith' image you have framed there?

Thanks! :whip:

Deckard

Hey, that picture is actually a print. You can see it :

0054-1.jpg

The image was printed out and placed onto a thin board back, glued down, then that was glued to the wood "frame". I got it on ebay for around $250 I believe. Haven't seen one in a while tho.

Artists offer them actually painted from time to time but they go for over $1000. You could try to make one yourself, It may not be too hard if you get a really good copy of the image to print. Hope this helps.

Raider S

Thanks. I like to try and make my own stuff. Thought you might have gotten a line drawing off the net then did the rest yourself. Right now everything on eBay will probably be high due to the recent film. :gun: