Did Sean Connery hate the KOTCS script?

Finn

Staff member
Okay kids, just gimme a good reason to book some tickets to the Banana Islands.

You should know the rules. No personal insults - and no behavior that could lead to those.

Darth Vile

Finn said:
Okay kids, just gimme a good reason to book some tickets to the Banana Islands.

You should know the rules. No personal insults - and no behavior that could lead to those.

Finn.

Many here are trying to have logical and worthy debates around the movie (be they from the pro or anti KOTCS camp). However? I feel that some are simply baiting by stating the same thing over and over again e.g. to paraphrase ?it?s proof that everyone hates KOTCS and it?s the worst Indiana Jones movie?. Now of course that?s only an opinion? and those who have it are welcome to it. But stating it again and again, as if it?s an automated response stamp, is not conducive to good-natured debate.

I?m more than happy to frequent boards where there is a modicum of good natured baiting/banter (as I do it myself)? but there is always a risk that 1) It derails the thread. 2) It turns personal and gets out of hand.

So all I?m saying (in a drawn out way), is sometimes it?s easier to focus on a heated reaction rather than looking at root cause i.e. the original statement that was designed to illicit a certain response? :)

Niteshade007

I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that Connery didn't like the script. Since he did say "it depends on the script," then decided he didn't want to do the movie after reading the script, it's not a huge leap in logic to assume he wasn't wowed by it. Now, whether he thought that the writing was crap, or he didn't like that his character was in there for two pages and then forgotten, I don't know. But the fact remains that he decided not to do the movie after reading the script.

Major West

Connery said he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else. So no, he did not hate the script, he just decided to stay in retirement.

Kingsley

I don't know Connerys real reasons, and don't care.
Yes, it would've been nice to see him in the movie... I don't know were he could fit, but I have Darabonts script as an example of what could have been. And his scenes there were brief and far from spectacular, but they could have work good... not only a cameo.

Now, I agree that Henry's Sr. death reference was one of the top emotional moments of the movie. And that's not a good sign, because nothing new could compete with simple nostalgia... even in 'transcendetal' moments they used old music (marions theme, henry sr/grial theme) to get it to work.

Udvarnoky

Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death? I mean, Harrison is great in the scene, but it's handled in such a hamfisted way, with the two portraits of the two unavailable actors (due to death and retirement respectively) being shown and pointed to within a single line. It was forced and hard to take very seriously.

"Brutal couple of years, eh Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus, then Shorty in that threshing machine mishap, then Sallah collapsing backwards into an open manhole, then Willie skydiving without a parachute, then Earl Weber pogosticking blindfolded into that crater of wet cement. And the weird thing is, it all happened on the same weekend."

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death? I mean, Harrison is great in the scene, but it's handled in such a hamfisted way, with the two portraits of the two unavailable actors (due to death and retirement respectively) being shown and pointed to within a single line. It was forced and hard to take very seriously.

"Brutal couple of years, eh Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus, then Shorty in that threshing machine mishap, then Sallah collapsing backwards into an open manhole, then Willie skydiving without a parachute, then Earl Weber pogosticking blindfolded into that crater of wet cement. And the weird thing is, it all happened on the same weekend."

I'm not sure how else they could have played it without it taking up unnecessary screen time?

Given that Henry Jones Senior didn?t have a death scene ?on screen?, it was always going to be a retrospective acknowledgement of his death, rather than some in-depth explanation with major plot ramifications.

I didn't feel particularly emotional about the scene (although it certainly brought back fond memories of TLC when watching)... But within context of an Indy movie, I thought it was well written and well acted

Udvarnoky

Kingsley said:
"Top emotional moment" doesn't mean I was with tears in my eyes ;)

Oh, I know that. I just mean I don't think the movie entirely succeeded with what it was going for there.

Darth Vile said:
But within context of an Indy movie, I thought it was well written and well acted

Interesting.

The Man

Perhaps 'hate' is excessive. He certainly wasn't enamoured with it. As lifeless as the movie emerged on film, reading the 'script' itself must have been torturous...

MaxPhactor23

Major West said:
Connery said he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else. So no, he did not hate the script, he just decided to stay in retirement.

Who the heck are you...Connery? You don't know that and it's completely logical to assume that he was less then thrilled by it. The truth is that anyone that says different is a nutty over-the-top Skull supporter that's in deep denial about it's less then positive public opinion.

Major West

MaxPhactor23 said:
Who the heck are you...Connery? You don't know that and it's completely logical to assume that he was less then thrilled by it. The truth is that anyone that says different is a nutty over-the-top Skull supporter that's in deep denial about it's less then positive public opinion.

No, it's true. It's a fact. He SAID he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else but he decided to stay in retirement. Face it his role wasn't huge even in the darabont script.

How can anybody say he didn't do it because he hated the script considering he made bad film like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Think about it, yeah. Try and let objectivity and sense penetrate that addled challenged mind.

Last edited:

The Man

Connery said the only movie that could lure him from retirement was another Indiana Jones. Yet, he turned it down. His decision was based on the lesser screentime Henry Sr. would have had and the appalling dialogue, hodge-podge plot and the overall cynicism of the script.

Sean has emerged from this as one of the smarter cookies...

Major West

The Man said:
His decision was based on the lesser screentime Henry Sr. would have had and the appalling dialogue, hodge-podge plot and the overall cynicism of the script.

There's no evidence he said that. You just made it up, therefore we must dismiss it as complete rubbish.

Case closed.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

MaxPhactor23 said:
I don't think that's a logical assumption to make based on the other movies he's been happy to make. He clearly didn't want to be a part of KOTCS... that much is obvious. But I think it's a more logical to assume that he either... 1) Couldn't be arsed. 2) He simply thought the part was'nt big/interesting enough.

The Man said:
Connery said the only movie that could lure him from retirement was another Indiana Jones. Yet, he turned it down. His decision was based on the lesser screentime Henry Sr. would have had and the appalling dialogue, hodge-podge plot and the overall cynicism of the script.

Sean has emerged from this as one of the smarter cookies....

I think you are reaching there...

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
I don't think that's a logical assumption to make based on the other movies he's been happy to make.

Yeah, but he's also refused to be in really good movies too. The guy is notoriously bad at picking scripts.