Kenya 2013

Goodeknight

A few pics from my recent trip to Kenya to shoot stories about outreaches there. Wells, schools, ag programs. Awesome stuff, and great people.

Among the Masai
DSC_0283_zpsde85e77d.jpg

DSC_0606_zps3806fb24.jpg

DSC_0439_zpsa2cad481.jpg

DSC_0279_zps35a8eeb1.jpg

DSC_0273_zpsf29d16df.jpg

On safari:
DSC_0394_zpse98489d3.jpg

DSC_0581_zps64e9de3c.jpg

DSC_0561_zpse9b80c27.jpg

DSC_0640_zps1cdfcf23.jpg

In the villages
DSC_0069_zpse28b5e5b.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsea91e214.jpg

DSC_0009_zps01dcfb6c.jpg

DSC_0082_zps8e28a7d6.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsbbcc84c8.jpg

Self portrait:
DSC_0542_zps1544fbcf.jpg

Misc artsy pics
DSC_0018adjusted_zpsbc62a3b6.jpg

DSC_0124_zps82be47aa.jpg

DSC_0402_zps14c60524.jpg

DSC_0406_zpsc7adceb2.jpg

DSC_0661_zps75ac51ee.jpg

Stoo

Such wonderful pictures, Goodie. You've captured some real beauty!:hat: I'm so jealous. Too much to say about all of them right now...but for starters:

Photo #01
Masai woman with a cell phone!:D

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Photo #01
Masai woman with a cell phone!
Yes, because it's so much easier and less time-consuming to erect all those long lines of poles and draw wires rather than dot the landscape with a handful of towers.

Seriously, the wireless technology is something the so-called third world has been perhaps even quicker to adopt than us civilized, mighty whiteys.

Goodeknight

Finn said:
Yes, because it's so much easier and less time-consuming to erect all those long lines of poles and draw wires rather than dot the landscape with a handful of towers.

In addition, the Masai live in mud huts, move every other year or so, and build new huts somewhere with fresh grazing land. So you can't really hard wire phones to "mobile (mud) homes."

Stoo

Finn said:

Seriously, the wireless technology is something the so-called third world has been perhaps even quicker to adopt than us civilized, mighty whiteys.
I'm aware of this and, indeed, you are right but only to a certain degree. The reason I singled out that particular photo is because it's not an image commonly seen in travel magazines, etc.

Anyway, what do *you* think of Goodknight's pretty pictures?
Goodeknight said:
Yes, and it's up top because it's my favorite pic from the trip.
'Tis a good one, Goodie.:) Your 2nd photo is actually my favourite (for the subject matter, asymmetry, colour and movement). Now THAT type of photo is something you'd see in a travel magazine.

Remembering the thread: Going to Kenya in Feb., this obviously wasn't your 1st time. Was this trip for work, vacation or what?

I had planned to go with some friends many years ago but was forced to back out due to the lack of cash at the time.:(

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Anyway, what do *you* think of Goodknight's pretty pictures?
Since you asked... I'd take better. <Stupid question, stupid answer.>

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Remembering the thread: Going to Kenya in Feb., this obviously wasn't your 1st time. Was this trip for work, vacation or what?

Second trip to Kenya, Stoo. Both work trips. This trip focused on a deep well we dug far from Masai land, and on some projects with the Masai, including a school we built, and farm we started.

Finn said:
Since you asked... I'd take better. <Stupid question, stupid answer.>

Hey, shouldn't your diss have been aimed at Stoo??

I will note it was the first time I shot photos with a decent camera in perhaps 15 years. First time ever with a good digital camera (not film). And the camera was borrowed. I don't make any claims of being a world class photographer. I know some, and their pics blow mine out of the water.

But since you boasted, let's see the "better."

Could be the start of a good thread, "Post your personal best pics." Travel, home, family, whatever.

Finn

Staff member
Goodeknight said:
Hey, shouldn't your diss have been aimed at Stoo??
But it was. If you can't see it, you need to look deeper. <About this much.>

Stoo

Goodeknight said:
I will note it was the first time I shot photos with a decent camera in perhaps 15 years. First time ever with a good digital camera (not film). And the camera was borrowed. I don't make any claims of being a world class photographer. I know some, and their pics blow mine out of the water.
Don't worry, man, your photos look fantastic.;) Unlike most other folks, you are out there doing things that matter and are not afraid to show. Keep it rolling.

Other good shots: the one with the rainbow & the one with the kid in the yellow shirt walking up the rock face with the foliage & running water in the background.

---
If a video game was made about building a well in Kenya, would it be popular?:confused:

Stoo

That is YOU! Very impressive, Goodeknight. Your username is very fitting of your nobility. Hats off!:hat:

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
That is YOU! Very impressive, Goodeknight. Your username is very fitting of your nobility. Hats off!:hat:
Thank you, Stoo. I must say, that's one of the kindest compliments I've ever received.

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Loved the villagers singing (& your drumming)! Man, I envy you immensely.

Thanks, Stoo.

Drones33 said:
These are fantastic. Looks like a hell of an advenure :)

Yes, it was quite an adventure.

My goal is to one day be old Indy, but with no eye patch. I'll ramble on about crazy adventures. A few will listen. Some will doubt. Most won't care, but whatever.

I just booked a flight to Congo. Deep well there on an orphanage compound with a small farm. It utilizes Israeli technology -- solar powered pump and a computerized drip irrigation system. Now the kids will have clean water and fresh veggies. Cool stuff.

S. Dakota Jones

Looks like a good trip for the experience and the cause.

I spent 6 months in Kenya and 3 months in Tanzania in '08-'09. Went on a couple safaris in both countries but it was in Tanzania where I really got to go out and see the locals. I worked with a guy who was in charge of cutting the checks for schools, hospitals being built/or refurbished and wells being dug, mostly by local contractors. It was a good experience for all the good and bad things I saw.

Drones33

Goodeknight said:
Thanks, Stoo.

Yes, it was quite an adventure.

My goal is to one day be old Indy, but with no eye patch. I'll ramble on about crazy adventures. A few will listen. Some will doubt. Most won't care, but whatever.

I just booked a flight to Congo. Deep well there on an orphanage compound with a small farm. It utilizes Israeli technology -- solar powered pump and a computerized drip irrigation system. Now the kids will have clean water and fresh veggies. Cool stuff.

Thats marvellous.
Adventure for its own sake is utterly fulfilling, but adventure that has porpose, has meaning, that will influence the future, even for a small group of people, thats profound.:hat: