Kingdom #1 on Total Film 50 most disappointing list

LeHah said:
I'm going to reply to this with an email a close friend sent me when Crystal Skull originally hit theaters. The language is a little strong but I think it suits the purpose of the point he was trying to get across...

A fine collection of pretty words to explain why you should accept what is put before you without question or thought.

What kind of weak mind would be poisoned by observations and opinons they don't share and worse yet would be so fragile that such idea(s) "eats away at the soul and makes a point of preventing you from ever enjoying anything again."

I'll tell you what kind of mind: an idiots mind. I am absolutely serious.

Mick said it best:

Mickiana said:
We know opinions are subjective, which is why we have to try and go beyond opining. This is where criticism comes in. Criticism doesn't try to laud itself as objectivity but it requires adept ability at analysis and argument. Criticism, as in 'critiquing', utilises an appreciation of aesthetics, intellectual understanding and wisdom. When someone wants to highlight the merits and demerits of a piece of work through an explanation that strives for logic then this is criticism.
I know previously I have said I feel hate for CS, but a better way to put it is to simply say, "I am disappointed in the perceived flaws in CS on different levels, especially in comparison to its predecessors" and then go on to enumerate those flaws and to present a case as to my views. This is not "hating" as some like to term it, but rather it is a sign of love. We love the world of Indiana Jones and wish to devote some of our energies to appreciation of the elements within.. Criticism is saying, "Something is like...." That is all we have to go on.

LeHah said:
Here's the bottom line: Crystal Skull was a good time. It makes all the mistakes we imagined it would... it manages to make some of them work in ways we never expected and falls flat on others. It also does
a lot of other *entertaining* (oh my!) things that I hadn't counted
on.
Indiana Jones has the shoulders to carry a lot of crap, it's true.

LeHah said:
[My friend] left the theater happy and I am much, much smarter than anyone on your friends list.
Ignorance is bliss after all.

The rest of the preposterous notions:
LeHah said:
[Your friend]:
The amazing thing about Crystal Skull is that it's just anotherIndiana Jones movie.

It's abjectly not the brooding twilight farewell movie we all assumed it would be.

When Spielberg says it's just another movie, he's not trying to
deflect criticism -- he's directly stating the point of the film.

LeHah:
I can make a list of a bunch of far, far worse movies starting with Nolan's Batman films...heaps of other schlock.

Amazing?
Who assumed it was going to be brooding? Who ARE these people you consort with?
A film Spielberg made grudgingly...he's embarrased by it.
Would love to hear your in depth thougts on why Nolan's Batman films were "schlock", in the Batman thread of course.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Of course. ;)

Damn it, Smiffy, every time I try to let you know how unfair and condescending you tend to sound, you bounce back with quips like this. Am I doomed to suffer like this for all eternity? :(

Mickiana

kongisking said:
Damn it, Smiffy, every time I try to let you know how unfair and condescending you tend to sound, you bounce back with quips like this. Am I doomed to suffer like this for all eternity? :(

Well, you asked him a question and he answered it. Did you ask the right question?

We can all improve our communication skills, I tend towards more logic, though it is a bit boring, but it does keep me out of trouble.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

For all thine eternity as an ember so swiftly prodded into fire.
FIREdevil.gif

Saturday morning cliffhangers were also aimed at children. As were Tom & Jerry and Temple of Doom. The mental age at which they might be enjoyed is irrelevant.

Mickiana said:

Stoo

Dr.Jonesy said:
I never went to see an Indy film more than once or twice. Or any film in a franchise for that matter.
Dr.Jonesy, once AGAIN you are a LIAR!:eek:
You said: I paid to see the film 6 times (yes, that's right, 6)

Can you, please, be real & stop with your LIES all over the place? Otherwise, your posts won't be taken seriously.(n)

---
Anyway, as has been already said - 'disappoint' doesn't mean 'dislike'. The list of statistics you've provided, Dr.Jonesy, have no bearing on whether the film was disappointing or not.:rolleyes: