What creepy-crawlies should be in Indy 5?

Giant wallet raping life suckers. In 3D, so the audience can share the joke with the film's accountantcy firm Spielberg, Lucas & Ford

replican't said:
Giant wallet raping life suckers. In 3D, so the audience can share the joke with the film's accountantcy firm Spielberg, Lucas & Ford
They did this in Crystal Skull as Mac breaks the fourth wall in the beginning...

Mac: (pointing to audience) They pay.

Rocket Surgeon said:
They did this in Crystal Skull as Mac breaks the fourth wall in the beginning...

Hahahaha. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Mac: bet you 100 bucks that 35 year old in the third row will be crying into his pillow tonight.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:

And nobody believed me when I said KOTCS was one long winking session!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Giant killer Chinese hornets...

vespa-mandarinia-008.jpg

kongisking

replican't said:
Hahahaha. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Mac: bet you 100 bucks that 35 year old in the third row will be crying into his pillow tonight.

Well, beautiful just because it's a jab at a movie you despise. For the rest of us, it's only a really clever quip (I'm giving credit where it's due :hat: ).

If I said, "KOTCS was lame", would you say I'm the next Da Vinci?

Oh, right, the topic...I still support the demands to see sharks. :cool:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Oh, right, the topic...I still support the demands to see sharks. :cool:

images

:p

No, but seriously, sharks are evil, and while they may not crawl, they creep around in the water looking menacing:

tomb-3-page-1.jpg

tomb-3-page-2.jpg

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
images

:p

No, but seriously, sharks are evil, and while they may not crawl, they creep around in the water looking menacing:

tomb-3-page-1.jpg

tomb-3-page-2.jpg

Hence, why I'd love to see them in a film. That scene in the comic would make for a badass moment in a movie.

I presume you kid about sharks being evil, right? Jaws, masterpiece that it is, really unfairly hurt their reputation.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:

I presume you kid about sharks being evil, right? Jaws, masterpiece that it is, really unfairly hurt their reputation.

Yes, Peter Benchley get them a bad reputation!

But you never know from their lifeless black eyes which one will attack.

Quint's monologue about the USS Indianapolis is a chilling addition to the mythology:

QUINT

(flat and quiet)

On her and torpedoed right off her.
Into the drink with 900 other clowns
...Started with 900 anyway...floating
in that big warm Pacific.

(the light surfaces again)

Must have been like a dinner bell
in there...Explosions, and half
the guys bleeding. Soon as the
sharks came homing in on us, we
went by the Manual, of course...
Kept trying to float in groups...
doin' what if said, splash at 'em,
yell at 'em, hit 'em on the nose,
they won't bother you...all that.
They tore apart about a hundred
men, the first night. And pretty
soon, when they stepped it up, and
you'd feel 'em bump you, and guys'd
get pulled down a couple of yards
away, and it got to two days...and
three...Well, some fellas couldn't
take it no more, just peeled off
their life-jackets, got it over with
...We were in the water 110 hours.
Sharks averaged six men an hour.

(nails Hooper a hard look)

They're all experts.

(spits in the ocean)​

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Yes, Peter Benchley get them a bad reputation!

But you never know from their lifeless black eyes which one will attack.

Quint's monologue about the USS Indianapolis is a chilling addition to the mythology:

In truth, never finished the book. Was so turned off by how frustratingly lame it was compared to the astounding holy-cow-this-movie-is-beyond-flattering-adjectives that Berg's film was.

But still, sharks. In Indiana Jones. Petition-time! (y)

Spurlock

Moedred said:
Giant killer Chinese hornets...

vespa-mandarinia-008.jpg

Oh man I heard of those, China is having a total infestation, evens deaths, from them right now. They only problem with these is they'd need to be 1)CGI again, even though the ants were smart and scary, they didn't really look real enough to actually install much fear, and 2)it was pretty ridiculous for the ants to carry a fully grown man, and I just know these would need to pick some poor bastard up.

But I still like the idea, maybe Indy could light fire to something to get it all smokey, and then swim away or something? Like he could hear the swarm from a distance and as for a lighter from his companion that smokes (at the reluctance of Indy), and Indy lights a torch to calm them. Maybe it could be like ToD, just replace the water surging through the mines, with the hornets.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Oh man I heard of those, China is having a total infestation, evens deaths, from them right now. They only problem with these is they'd need to be 1)CGI again, even though the ants were smart and scary, they didn't really look real enough to actually install much fear, and 2)it was pretty ridiculous for the ants to carry a fully grown man, and I just know these would need to pick some poor bastard up.

But I still like the idea, maybe Indy could light fire to something to get it all smokey, and then swim away or something? Like he could hear the swarm from a distance and as for a lighter from his companion that smokes (at the reluctance of Indy), and Indy lights a torch to calm them. Maybe it could be like ToD, just replace the water surging through the mines, with the hornets.

Using CG for insects is totally permissible in my opinion. Bugs look unreal enough already!

Spurlock

kongisking said:
Using CG for insects is totally permissible in my opinion. Bugs look unreal enough already!

I think that was the exact thinking for the prairie dogs. Look how that turned out.

And bugs maybe look unreal, but they don't look fake like half the scenes in the ant hill looked. If they can actually bother with good effects this time then that'd be fine, but don't bother if you can't pull it off.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I think that was the exact thinking for the prairie dogs. Look how that turned out.

And bugs maybe look unreal, but they don't look fake like half the scenes in the ant hill looked. If they can actually bother with good effects this time then that'd be fine, but don't bother if you can't pull it off.

I doubt that was the thinking behind the prairie dogs. And besides, my comment was half-joking.

I suppose the question to ask here is: how on Earth would you do the ant scene, then, if CG was banned from production? How do you possibly make killer ants look more real than how they were done in the film? They're ants: they don't require a crap-ton of detail on their exoskeletons. I doubt animatronic ants would be either practical or more realistic.

And keep in mind, I'm not being hostile with this point. I like ya, Spurlock, and would be glad to keep the conversation going if it's civil (in spite of my snark).

The Drifter

I think that there needs to be an influx of old women flocking around our hero. Ripping at his clothes, clawing at his flesh and gumming his skin.
A moving sea of blue hair, wrinkled skin, with the smell of Polident in the air...

Last edited:

kongisking

The Drifter said:
I think that there needs to be an influx of old women flocking around our hero. Ripping at his clothes, clawing at his flesh and gumming his skin.
A moving sea of blue hair, wrinkled skin, with the smell of Polident in the air...

Screw the Wrath of God, that's a truly scary scene!

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:

:eek:

"Now you're getting nasty."

Might be heaven for Mutt, but Indy'll be saving the last bullet for himself.

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
They say that most of the things an individual finds scary are not something instilled at birth, but born out of personal experiences over our lives.

So if this really is a genuine fear, HOW exactly did you acquire it?

<small>However, if it's merely a fetish instead... clam it. That's an order.</small>

Spurlock

kongisking said:
I doubt that was the thinking behind the prairie dogs. And besides, my comment was half-joking.

I suppose the question to ask here is: how on Earth would you do the ant scene, then, if CG was banned from production? How do you possibly make killer ants look more real than how they were done in the film? They're ants: they don't require a crap-ton of detail on their exoskeletons. I doubt animatronic ants would be either practical or more realistic.

And keep in mind, I'm not being hostile with this point. I like ya, Spurlock, and would be glad to keep the conversation going if it's civil (in spite of my snark).

Well I don't think you intended for me to give any real thought on how you wouldn't use CGI ants, But I did anyway.

Use real ants, at least for the important parts. They proved in ToD that lots of bugs are no problem. Here you could have them outside too, so no worries of an infestation. I understand CGI gives you more freedom and a more thematic control over them, but for close up or mob scenes, real ants could be used (harmless ants of course). I just feel like that would've been the case if KotCS had been made at the same time as the other 3. But yes, animatronic ants is a no-no.

And no hostility detected :p