Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

russds

Yeah, newbie here, and read through this. Seems that there was a lot of interest, and people with 'proof'. At one point someone ordered an old VHS from ebay, and with intense anticipation the thread watched as he got the VHS, and watched, but unfortunately no egg scene. Unfortunately no clear answer one way or another. Seems it was definitely at least a thought, as it's diagrammed in the making of book, but i don't think anyone has any footage or pics of actual scenes with the chicken/egg. Only some additional pics of the pilots with gun. There are some 'official' alternate versions listed on IMDB, but they dont' mention anything about the egg scene, only UK cuts, and some with a shot a girl slave vs a boy slave.

Archaeos

Henry W Jones said:
BUMP.....
Curious as to what the newbies think about this or if anyone else has any info.

One of those threads I loved to follow before registering here.

Funny thing is: the more I was reading it, the more I felt that I remembered having seen this scene (note the legally airtight formulation here) in a German TV broadcast in 1984 when TOD premiered (didn't see the movie in cinema at that stage).

It was called "ZDF Kino-Hitparade mit Sabine Sauer", was a 30 minutes broadcast, and I taped it... :eek: onto Compact Cassette, not VHS (n)
(those were the days).

Recently stumbled over that audio tape while de-storing some of my stuff back in Germany, wanted to listen to it, but found that my beloved Sony WM-DD11 Walkman no longer worked. I guess some IC blew after the device was not powered up for ~15 years. Will investigate when I am back in Germania, probably towards end of this year.

:whip:

(and No, that's not a joke to wind up people on that egg thing - and for the record, I think that scene never saw the light of a movie projector).

v10916.gif

JWo4Vq2zy9Ds131676669057P678.jpg

____
EDIT: typos and pictures of programme and Sabine Sauer added

Last edited:

Stoo

Moedred said:
Spotted on auction site... no chicken listed on the call sheet. But maybe it handled the wake up calls?
Heh heh. Funny, Moe. (For anyone interested, a better image of that production sketch was posted by JuniorJones in post #339.)

Opening bid for that lot starts at $350 - for an old rope, 2 Polaroids & some paper?:rolleyes: I hope it receives 0 bids.

===
SPOT THE EGG:
In the drawing, there are 2 eggs right near where Indy sleeps. Can you find them?:p

greenbird

Henry W Jones said:
BUMP.....
Curious as to what the newbies think about this or if anyone else has any info.

Newbie here who joined just to weigh in on this topic. I have no evidence to present, but I remember it as the OP described - Indy and the other two are asleep in the back of the plane, the copilot is about to shoot Indy when the vibration of the plane causes an egg to fall from a crate near Indy. Just before the egg hits the floor, Indy sticks out his hand and catches it. The copilot freaks out and goes back into the cockpit.

I've never read any of the TOD scripts or sketchbooks or whatever, so I'm quite certain that my memory of this scene comes from seeing it in the theater version of the movie. (Which seems dumb because I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so how can I remember a 10-second scene from a movie I saw nearly 30 years ago?).

Every time TOD is on TV, I wonder if that scene will have been restored, but it never has been. In fact, I found this thread and this site after Googling around for any info about why the scene was deleted.

When nonessential scenes are cut from TV broadcasts, I figures it's just so they can squeeze in another commercial, but it's weird that this scene isn't in the DVD.

Hanselation

greenbird said:
Newbie here who joined just to weigh in on this topic. I have no evidence to present, but I remember it as the OP described - Indy and the other two are asleep in the back of the plane, the copilot is about to shoot Indy when the vibration of the plane causes an egg to fall from a crate near Indy. Just before the egg hits the floor, Indy sticks out his hand and catches it. The copilot freaks out and goes back into the cockpit.

I've never read any of the TOD scripts or sketchbooks or whatever, so I'm quite certain that my memory of this scene comes from seeing it in the theater version of the movie. (Which seems dumb because I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, so how can I remember a 10-second scene from a movie I saw nearly 30 years ago?).

Every time TOD is on TV, I wonder if that scene will have been restored, but it never has been. In fact, I found this thread and this site after Googling around for any info about why the scene was deleted.

When nonessential scenes are cut from TV broadcasts, I figures it's just so they can squeeze in another commercial, but it's weird that this scene isn't in the DVD.

Where are you from? In which country did you see the movie the first time?

Udvarnoky

I think there's more than enough evidence to support that the scene was shot, but it certainly was not in the theatrical release print. Who knows, maybe some final editing choices were made following at least one pre-screening in the Bay Area (which is of course Skywalker Ranch territory). But thirty years is a long time, too.

As far as I know, the only content in an Indiana Jones movie where the home video release differs from the theatrical release is Donovan's "donated by the finest Jewish families in Europe" line to the Sultan of Hatay in Last Crusade.

Henry W Jones

Udvarnoky said:
I think there's more than enough evidence to support that the scene was shot, but it certainly was not in the theatrical release print. Who knows, maybe some final editing choices were made following at least one pre-screening in the Bay Area (which is of course Skywalker Ranch territory). But thirty years is a long time, too.

As far as I know, the only content in an Indiana Jones movie where the home video release differs from the theatrical release is Donovan's "donated by the finest Jewish families in Europe" line to the Sultan of Hatay in Last Crusade.

What is the evidence? Where is the footage? I'm not saying it doesn't exist but no one can find the footage so saying there is evidence it was shot is a step far if you did not actually see it.

Indy's brother

Udvarnoky said:

I think there is a better case for the egg than there is for this.

Udvarnoky

Henry W Jones said:
What is the evidence?

The evidence that it was shot is pretty decent. We do have a production photograph of extended material between the pilots as well as the co-pilot's spooked demeanor in the final cut that fits in perfectly with the complete sequence in the script that includes the egg catch. I am far more dubious that anyone in the general public actually saw this footage than I am that it ever once existed.

Indy's brother said:
I think there is a better case for the egg than there is for this.

Hey, maybe. It could be one of those things that was repeated enough times that it became an honorary truth.

Henry W Jones

Udvarnoky said:
The evidence that it was shot is pretty decent. We do have a production photograph of extended material between the pilots as well as the co-pilot's spooked demeanor in the final cut that fits in perfectly with the complete sequence in the script that includes the egg catch. I am far more dubious that anyone in the general public actually saw this footage than I am that it ever once existed.

Hey, maybe. It could be one of those things that was repeated enough times that it became an honorary truth.

We know the scene was planned, but until I see Harrison with the egg in his hand, I don't think that there is enough to prove it was filmed. They could have shot all the cockpit shots of the pilots at once as to not be moving around the camera constantly while shooting and scrapped it before filming the egg drop. That pilot pic does not, in my opinion, prove anything other than it shows evidence that the scene was planned. I also would except someone who was at the shooting saying it was shot as proof as well. I am on the fence whether I believe that it was released for public viewing but I do not feel there is not any real.proof of it being filmed other than 29 year old memories and a photo that also could have been a behind the scenes photo.

Stoo

greenbird said:

HOORAY! Greenbird, thank you so much for signing up to make this post!:hat: Interesting that you mention a vibration causing the egg to fall because I don't remember that detail (but I also don't remember anything about the gun). Just to clarify, though, it's the pilot who goes to shoot Indy. The co-pilot is supposedly too "chicken" to do it.

You say that you've never read any "Temple of Doom" scripts or sketchbooks but have you read the novel? It has the scene. I believe that you've witnessed the egg, because I'm in the same boat, but would like to rule out any other possibilities of your memory.

Also, do you recall approximately WHEN you saw "Doom" in '84?
Udvarnoky said:
Who knows, maybe some final editing choices were made following at least one pre-screening in the Bay Area (which is of course Skywalker Ranch territory).
Perhaps...but this wouldn't egg-splain all of the people who saw it in Massachusetts, Australia, Canada, Germany and the Czech Republic.:)
Henry W Jones said:
We know the scene was planned, but until I see Harrison with the egg in his hand, I don't think that there is enough to prove it was filmed. They could have shot all the cockpit shots of the pilots at once as to not be moving around the camera constantly while shooting and scrapped it before filming the egg drop. That pilot pic does not, in my opinion, prove anything other than it shows evidence that the scene was planned. I also would except someone who was at the shooting saying it was shot as proof as well. I am on the fence whether I believe that it was released for public viewing but I do not feel there is not any real.proof of it being filmed other than 29 year old memories and a photo that also could have been a behind the scenes photo.
Don't forget that there are *2* photos and they are both from opposite angles so the camera was, indeed, being moved around for that shoot. Plus, the picture of the pilot pointing the gun is the same angle as a shot in the movie (as I showed here - Cripes, that was 2 years ago!:eek:).

Egg_Pilot1.jpg

Egg_Pilot2.jpg

Undoubtedly, extra stuff was filmed on the plane set that we have zero images of. One example is a deleted bit where Willie first goes to the open door at the back before looking in the cockpit (as I showed here). To my knowledge, there are no photos or footage of Willie alone at the open door but it's obvious that it was done and photographed. Another example is a few of the deleted scenes from "Doom" on the new Blu-ray documentary. They confirm that stuff was shot without any of the images ever surfacing anywhere before so, Henry W, I can't understand why you won't believe that the egg fall was even filmed.

If anybody reading this feels like getting really nerdy, can you please try to get in touch with Akio Mitamura (pilot) and Michael Yama (co-pilot) and ask them about it?:gun:

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
HOORAY! Greenbird, thank you so much for signing up to make this post!:hat: Interesting that you mention a vibration causing the egg to fall because I don't remember that detail (but I also don't remember anything about the gun). Just to clarify, though, it's the pilot who goes to shoot Indy. The co-pilot is supposedly too "chicken" to do it.

You say that you've never read any "Temple of Doom" scripts or sketchbooks but have you read the novel? It has the scene. I believe that you've witnessed the egg, because I'm in thdon'tame boat, but would like to rule out any other possibilities of your memory.

Also, do you recall approximately WHEN you saw "Doom" in '84?
Perhaps...but this wouldn't egg-splain all of the people who saw it in Massachusetts, Australia, Canada, Germany and the Czech Republic.:)
Don't forget t. t there are *2* photos and they are both from opposisomewheregles so the camera was, indeed, being moved around for that shoot. Plus, the picture of the pilot pointing the gun is the same angle as a shot in the movie (as I showed here - Cripes, that was 2 years ago!:eek:).

Egg_Pilot1.jpg

Egg_Pilot2.jpg

Undoubtedly, extra stuff was filmed on the plane set that we have zero images of. One example is a deleted bit where Willie first goes to the open door at the back before looking in the cockpit (as I showed here). To my knowledge, there are no photos or footage of Willie alone at the open door but it's obvious that it was done and photographed. Another example is a few of the deleted scenes from "Doom" on the new Blu-ray documentary. They confirm that stuff was shot without any of the images ever surfacing anywhere before so, Henry W, I can't understand why you won't believe that the egg fall was even filmed.

If anybody reading this feels like getting really nerdy, can you please try to get in touch with Akio Mitamura (pilot) and Michael Yama (co-pilot) and ask them about it?:gun:

Again I say, I am not doubting people believe they saw this scene or the scene was shot or not. I don't see enough proof to say I believe it was finished or publicly released. I also am not going to easily believe it just because a new member says he never saw the novel or script. This could be a situation that in 1984, a fan of Raiders, sees the novel on the shelf for the new Indy movie, thumbs through it, puts it back, and forgets about until seeing this thread. I am not saying they are lying and I am not saying they are wrong even, but I will say, until someone can find one of the VHS tapes or one of the mains involved says it was shown, I have a hard time believing it was shown. I actually believe the scene may have shot but I don't believe the public saw it in the film. The people who claimed to see it on VHS make this more unbelievable even since at this point we should be able to find a copy somewhere. As mass produced as video tapes were, why can no one find one of these tapes? I do not doubt its conception or even filming being done. I do doubt random public viewing.

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
The people who claimed to see it on VHS make this more unbelievable even since at this point we should be able to find a copy somewhere. As mass produced as video tapes were, why can no one find one of these tapes?
I agree that the VHS claims are frustrating. Since the German releases have been pretty much fully investigated, it's time for the Australians to do a bit of scrounging around.
Henry W Jones said:
I do not doubt its conception or even filming being done.
Well, in all fairness, that wasn't what you wrote the other day.;)

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
I agree that the VHS claims are frustrating. Since the German releases have been pretty much fully investigated, it's time for the Australians to do a bit of scrounging around.
Well, in all fairness, that wasn't what you wrote the other day.;)

I have never claimed its conception was false, there is proof. I have reconsidered it being shot and believe it was partially filmed at minimum. My big thing has been, lets see Indy with the egg. My main point has been lets get proof it "fully" exist and it was "actually" released at some point.