General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
I might get around to the rest of your thoughts tomorrow (technically, today), but I don't know. I've been posting too much as it is.

All I meant to say was that the Indy deal was something Disney negotiated separately from Star Wars.

But I agree with your larger points. Disney isn't in the business of "sharing." The don't want to own half of anything, they want to own EVERYTHING. Yeah, the deal was fairly routine for them and was pretty much standard operating procedure, not necessarily implying any immediate plans.

Sure, they would like to do SOMETHING with Indy. They want to monetize everything they own.

My separate point, off that, is that it is way too early for Disney to be contemplating turning a billion dollar movie franchise into a direct-to-netflix TV show.

I cannot imagine that is something they would consider or do (at least in the next five years or so....)

Even if you consider that the franchise is utterly ill-suited for that kind of treatment (but, hey, let's not let CREATIVE decisions get in the way!) it would still be a poor use of what is currently a historically VERY successful feature film franchise.

That is all I mean to say or imply with my post. Not making any other judgements about what they are or are not considering at this point.

:hat:

Montana Smith

jsarino said:
Not rugged enough, IMO.

IndyFan89 said:
There isn't anyone as rugged. We're going to have to settle.

Túrin Turambar said:
Exactly Harrison as to be the most rugged guy I've ever seen, look it him in raiders and temple..Beast.

And he can do Indy in hIs 70's, he is tough as nails people just like old man Clint.

A man can't claim to be really rugged until he's fought off a horde of man-eating badgers.

badger-attack.jpg

Or a bad case of crabs.

mans-life-1958-01-jan-cover-by-wil-hulsey-8x6.jpg

Raiders112390 said:
My question is:

At this point, why does anyone ere hold out hope for an Indy V starring Ford? What gives you the faith that it will happen?

Let's examine the evidence:

Ford is 72 years old. The earliest an Indy film could be put onto production would be next year, at which point he'd be 73.

Given his age, it's probable that there'd be little action, or that any acton would probably be done by a younger character (basically what happened with Mutt in KOTCS, except even moreso now). Would anyone really want to see an Indy movie with very little action, or one wth Harrison on te sidelines while another guy kicks butt?

Lucas is mostly retired and he has never shown much interest in Indy anyway.

Spielberg didn't even want to make an Indy IV. What makes you think ed want to do a fifth film? Even if he did, it'd probably be shot mostly in the US again, and with the same over lit look as KOTCS.

While KOTCS was a commercial success, it's fan reception killed the franchise. Franchises don't tend to survive movies that are received like KOTCS was without a reboot (see Batman)

While KOTCS was a success, the Indy series is very limited in its potential for exploitation across multiple mediums. Disney likes to cross market all of its films in terms of games, toys, books etc. The Indy universe is very small and limited compared to Disney's other franchises. There's not much room for exploitation.

KOTCS made 700 mil. Nice, but compared to billion dollar films like The Avengers and Frozen, it's average. And what evidence is there that a Ford led Indy V would make nearly as much as KOTCS did? Skull had the advance of 19 years of hype, anticipation, nostalgia and excitement, which I'm sure inflated it's box office. Indy V won't have those advantages, and is actually hampered by KOTCS: less expectations, less interest, less turnout

Demographically, who would pay to see a 72-74 year old Harrison as Indy? I can't see very many 18-24 year old guys being into it. I can't see very many young women going to see 73 year old Harry. And further subtract all those fanboys who felt burnt by KOTCS.

I think the live action, Harrison era Indy is done. Maybe in a few years, Disney'll do an animated series, or a reboot in 5-10 years. But I don't believe we will see Harry as Indy on the big screen again, nor will we get any new video games or novels sadly.

Indy is old hat folks.

These are the issues that stand in the way of Indy's future. (Even though suggesting them is a hanging offence).

Whatever comes next will be different. The golden age has passed. As has the silver and bronze. What comes next will probably be iron pyrite.

So bring on the badgers.

And the crabs.

Ska

What if Cooper was never intended to be a new Indy (as has been officially denied), but an older Mutt?

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
At this point, why does anyone ere hold out hope for an Indy V starring Ford? What gives you the faith that it will happen?

Let's examine the evidence:
Raiders112390, this is probably the best post that you've ever written. Hats off!:hat:
Túrin Turambar said:
Exactly Harrison as to be the most rugged guy I've ever seen, look it him in raiders and temple..Beast.
Túrin, you've previously called Harrison a "silver fox" and now a "Beast" so it must be asked: Are you a guy or a gal?:confused:
IndyForever said:
Lucasfilm have now confirmed the Cooper rumour is not true....thankfully !
IndyForever, did you actually believe that the rumour had any substance to it?

P.S. That "Latino Review" article used the words, 'franchise' and 'reboot' more times that you could shake a stick at. Typical internet-report garbage.

curmudgeon

By default, I distrust anything Latino Review claims until/unless independently verified by more reliable sources.

Not that they don't occasionally have good scoops, but in my observance they seem to have a track record of implying rumors, instead of reporting them outright, in a way that gives them deniability if it turns out wrong/inaccurate.

They were clearly implying that recast could be imminent, but spent half the article hedging by saying it was only a plan for if they miss the deadline for another Ford film and that no offer had been made to Cooper and might not ever be made.

So the main sensationalist part of the rumor that everyone picked up on, is the same part that's completely nullified by the article itself.

Such that if/when it was denied, or if a new Ford film was announced as soon as the next day, they could just say "Oh, we (or "our sources") weren't lying, we clearly said it was only if they couldn't get a Ford film going. Duh."

Raiders90

IMO one of the bigger losses to cinematic history was that there wasn't a slew of Indy sequels in the 90s. Had Lucas and Spielberg been more into Infy, we could've gotten a nice amount of Indy films throughout the 90s into the 00s

Eg.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1994)
Indiana Jones and the Saucermen from Mars (1996)
Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix (1998)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (2001)
Indiana Jones and the Garden of Eden (2008)

AndyLGR

Raiders112390 said:
My question is:

I think its more hope. I think people hold such a place in their hearts and mind for Raiders that they want to see Ford do another good Indy movie again.

I may be speaking for myself but I still hope there is another good movie in him. That may be blind faith. But thats what keeps many franchises going even when the star is a lot older and it relys on the nostalgia factor from its target audience and it keeps them coming back for more.

The reality probably is that the Bond route will be good for Indy with another actor playing him for another trilogy.

IndyForever

Stoo said:
IndyForever, did you actually believe that the rumour had any substance to it?
Not much but the trouble is agents put these rumours out there & sometimes they become fact unless people complain enough (why they put these rumours out to begin with to gauge opinion without revealing anything else!)

Montana Smith

IndyForever said:
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/steven-spielberg-tony-kushner-edgardo-mortara-1201157963/

Spielberg potentially boards another movie but no mention of Indy 5 + 6 :sick:

I doubt the big three can muster enough interest to get back together to make another one.

Lucas has already written two final instalments (TLC and KOTCS). I think as far as he's concerned his Indy days are over unless someone twists his arm.

Spielberg is always seemingly busy doing something else.

And Harrison most recently said that his criteria for choosing scripts included looking for "something different to do."

Q: Hi Harrison! How do you choose your projects? And has this process changed for you since 1980s?

iamharrisonford 07:12 Apr 13 2014120pts ↑132 ↓12

You know, it's very hard to say what the motivation is these days. Most of the time I love the material, have the time free, and look for something different to do. I look for people I enjoy working with, I look for material that i think will make a film that people will go to. It's my job.

http://www.topiama.com/r/2448/i-am-harrison-harrison-ford-ama

Playing an older Han Solo will be different, but playing an older Indy? He's already done that once.

Maybe all the the Indy 5 talk was nonsense,? I've seen now evidence of them working on it...he's 72 soon....they can't just sit back on this, they need to get working on this now this year. If they wait till after star wars 7 next December, Harry is going to be 74 in 2016.

Montana Smith

Túrin Turambar said:
Maybe all the the Indy 5 talk was nonsense,? I've seen now evidence of them working on it...he's 72 soon....they can't just sit back on this, they need to get working on this now this year. If they wait till after star wars 7 next December, Harry is going to be 74 in 2016.

For some time I've considered the talk to be the equivalent of keeping their options open should a plan come together.

IndyForever

Disney exec Alan Horn said a few months ago Indy 5 has no script yet they did not buy the rights from Paramount to do nothing with it & are wise enough to know a reboot would be terrible business & generate bad industry buzz!

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/do...s-for-at-least-two-to-three-years-1200952951/

Its looking more like an Indy 5 would have Ford but no Lucas/Spielberg unless they are producing it only & I do not see Spielberg happy to do that somehow!

If I was a billionaire semi-retired film maker ;) I would just go all out to make an Indy 5 + 6 a priority ending in the best possible way then thats it the 2nd trilogy is finished forever Ford would most likely retire anyway so it has a lot of emotional investment for Lucas/Spielberg/Ford.

Lucas even though he is lazy still has a soft spot for Ford & Indiana Jones I just wish he kept the Indiana Jones rights instead of selling to Disney because they will go ahead without him within a year or so :mad:

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Disney exec Alan Horn said a few months ago Indy 5 has no script yet they did not buy the rights from Paramount to do nothing with it & are wise enough to know a reboot would be terrible business & generate bad industry buzz!

Old news, kiddo. See the thread and discussion here.

IndyForever

Spielberg has now written an outline for The Goonies 2 which he is producing with Richard Dooner as well as circling another Tom Hanks movie (please do not make another Hanks movie Steven look how mediocre The Terminal turned out!). So Indy 5 gets further away again......... you would think by now Spielberg would turn to Lucas & ask to develop the Indy 5 + 6 stories with Lucas or his own writers & Ford to speed things up a little :eek:

https://www.tmz.com/2014/04/19/richard-donner-goonies-sequel-steven-spielberg/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67019