A Guide to Gear and Props. What to buy?

Mr. Z

What does everyone here think of Todd's Costumes for Indy gear? It seems like they have some great stuff, but I'd like to hear from the experts here.

Mr. Fusion

Mr. Z said:
What does everyone here think of Todd's Costumes for Indy gear? It seems like they have some great stuff, but I'd like to hear from the experts here.

I have never heard anything bad about Todd's stuff. I have his old shirt, which is from What Price Glory, and it's less than stellar, but his new shirt should be really good. I have several of his other items. I'm currently waiting on his distressed gloves.(y)

Mr. Z

Mr. Fusion said:
I have never heard anything bad about Todd's stuff. I have his old shirt, which is from What Price Glory, and it's less than stellar, but his new shirt should be really good. I have several of his other items. I'm currently waiting on his distressed gloves.(y)

Excellent! I thought they had to be distressed by owner, so that is good news.

Did you get a Fedora from him as well? That's what I'm eager to do, but wanted to hear some positive things first. I got the bag, and it's awesome. :)

Katarn07

Mr. Z said:
Excellent! I thought they had to be distressed by owner, so that is good news.

Did you get a Fedora from him as well? That's what I'm eager to do, but wanted to hear some positive things first. I got the bag, and it's awesome. :)

Don't get a fedora from him. They're pretty expensive when for a bit more you could either get an Akubra Federation or await AB's mass produced Indy hat which currently doesn't have a price tag but from what everyone says, it'll be much cheaper than their current offerings.

Glad to hear about the bag because I'm ordering mine from him with the good strap. That you need to distress yourself. He offers the gloves new and predistressed.

EDIT - Crap. I told myself I wouldn't get a whip, but look at the price of those ones on eBay! Does anyone here own them to show some better pics? I'm only interested in it for display/costume purposes, not to actually use. I know that Indy had a 8-10 ft, 12 pleat. Would you really notice the 6 ft one being so short if coiled I wonder?

Last edited:

Mr. Z

I figured Todd's whip was pretty good for the price, and I'll be using it for costuming too. Not too many adventures in my future, I don't think. :D

What hat do you own, if you don't mind me asking. Is AB Adventure Built? It must be. Any idea when those will come out?

Mr. Fusion

Yeah, I've heard that Todd's fedora is not worth the price. The biggest "mistake" I see with his is there are too many stitches on the ribbon.

I did see that Hatsdirect recently raised the price of their Akubra Federation to the same as the Federation deluxe. That's stupid. Personally, I'm looking at a Camptown Model 1936 "Fieldmaster." They look very nice, especially for the price.
1936 "Fieldmaster"

EDIT: I just checked Hatsdirect.com and they've LOWERED the price of the Federation regular! The price was a lot higher yesterday. I'd grab one now, if you're still interested.

Last edited:

Katarn07

I don't have an AB, I got the Federation Regular. Wow, it went up $4 since I got mine. Yikes. I have a feeling it's going to keep going up as we get closer to May. I heard a few years back they were only around $75 or something.

I'm stumped when it comes to whips. I have a snakewhip on my watchlist that isn't that screen accurate, but it's 10 feet and 8 pleats and looks nicer quality than jzrjoe's stuff. If I don't get it, I'll end up getting one of his I'm sure. I still can't justify buying Todd's whip as nice as it looks.

Mr. Z

I am so glad you two recomended the Federation Regular!! It seems like a nice little company, and the hat looks great. I'm definitely going to try and snag one today. I can't wait.

I have to ask about the Todd's whip they are offering. From what I have seen, their's is the cheapest, and it appears to be screen accurate. Are there cheaper ones out there Katarn07?

Katarn07

Good luck with the hat. They're a great bunch over there from the emails I shared with them. Very friendly. Get the cheaper shipping. Mine came in less than 10 days.

Mr. Z said:
From what I have seen, their's is the cheapest, and it appears to be screen accurate. Are there cheaper ones out there Katarn07?

There's Caicedo's and Winrich's but they're pretty pricey too. I think Todd's looks better anyways, but performance wise I'm not so sure which would come out on top. But that's not an issue for me. I'd probably pull an young Indy and hit my face if I actually tried to crack the thing :p

Mr. Z

Katarn07 said:
There's Caicedo's and Winrich's but they're pretty pricey too. I think Todd's looks better anyways, but performance wise I'm not so sure which would come out on top. But that's not an issue for me. I'd probably pull an young Indy and hit my face if I actually tried to crack the thing :p

Ha!

Good links. Is that your hesitation then; the fact that the Todd's ones may not perform as well, and are more costume then authentic actual whip? All this whip talk; we've got to do this. :whip:

Katarn07

Good call :whip:

My real hesitation is the money. This will be a display piece, not a toy. I'd love Todd's even more if it wasn't a real whip and because of that was much cheaper. But alas, he had to make the stupid thing crack :p

Mr. Fusion

Katarn07 said:
Good call :whip:

My real hesitation is the money. This will be a display piece, not a toy. I'd love Todd's even more if it wasn't a real whip and because of that was much cheaper. But alas, he had to make the stupid thing crack :p

I don't know if Todd is still doing this, but he was going to make a budget whip which would be made completely of rubber. The one he's offering now just has a rubber core.:whip:

Mr. Z

He has a place for it on the site, but no photo yet. I called the shop today to make a few inquries, and whoever answered the phone (possibly Todd) was really friendly. Little things like that create loyalty in my book. (y)

Snakes

Has anyone tried making a whip holder?
I think I might do that rather than pay $20 bucks for one.
Same with the bag strap.

Mr. Z

I wouldn't even know where to begin on making something like that-mine wouldn't come out very good at all. I just ordered one from Todd though, but if yours is good Snakes, maybe I'll order one from you. :)

BTW, I just received my Wested jacket and shirt, and they are absolutely incredible! :D I can't believe the quality of the material, and, for me, it's pretty screen accurate! Pics to follow soon, as I am still waiting on my Fedora (I figure that would have been the first thing I received).

Mr. Fusion

Z, I've always wanted to get a Wested shirt (always as in a year). I've heard the material is nice. Almost too nice, but it looks great to me. The only thing I would change if I could, if I got one, would be to dye it a more khaki color. "Stone."

BTW, which jacket did you get? I have an off-the-rack Special Offer 'Raiders' "Crunch" lamb. It is pretty awesome, IMO.

Mr. Z

I see what you mean. It is a very nice khaki though; I'll have to get a picture up. What blows me away is the quality of the material. This is a very nice quality threaded material. It's not at all costumish at all; honestly, it's one of the nicer shirts I have seen. It doesn't appear extremely dresy or anything, but you can tell that it is going to last for a very long time, which is what I want.

My jacket is the Raiders Jacket
Leather: Authentc Bown Lambskin
Lining / Zip: Cotton Body-Satin Sleeves (rec)

I love it man!!!!

Mr. Z

Mr. Fusion said:
Yeah, I've heard that Todd's fedora is not worth the price. The biggest "mistake" I see with his is there are too many stitches on the ribbon.

I did see that Hatsdirect recently raised the price of their Akubra Federation to the same as the Federation deluxe. That's stupid. Personally, I'm looking at a Camptown Model 1936 "Fieldmaster." They look very nice, especially for the price.
1936 "Fieldmaster"

EDIT: I just checked Hatsdirect.com and they've LOWERED the price of the Federation regular! The price was a lot higher yesterday. I'd grab one now, if you're still interested.

BTW, I'm having the hardest time getting a hold of Hats Direct. I definitely want to go with the Fieldmaster, but I believe they are short one person, and are most likely having a hard time filling orders.

Mr. Fusion

Hats Direct is also out of several sizes in their Federations.

I would say either keep emailing them, or just wait for a reply. They're really good with customer service.(y)