LucasArts early 90's graphic adventures

LucasArts early 90's G.A. - Which Serie is te best?

• Maniac Mansion & Day of the Tentacle

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Dr Jones

I have to go for The Secret Of Monkey Island.

There's something so delicious about that game, the graphics, music, atmosphere and story it holds a special place in my heart. Probably because it was the first real graphic adventure I'd ever played.

LucasArts always managed to enthrall me for so many years, even now! FoA is second, as it was just pure Indy that YOU could be a part of and control.

Happy days!

:hat:

Professor Jones

The Tingler said:
Full Throttle!

I think this poll's a little unfair, being put on an Indiana Jones fansite.

Monkey Island 2 is the finest game of all time. Grim Fandango comes a close second.

Fate of Atlantis is utterly brilliant and the closest thing we have to Indy IV until the film comes out, but both that and Last Crusade were marred by dull maze sections with constant backtracking. And personally I think Atlantis itself is very boring. Apart from the cool submarine section the game drops in quality once you reach Crete.

And this is from someone who loves the game!

a) Yes, I think the poll's unfair too, being put here! ehehe...

b) I don't find Monkey 2 the best game of all time, I prefere so much the Secret of MI or the Curse... so much ambience there is in them!

c) Mmmm actually it is the first time I find myself thinking about it, but yes, you're right: Atlantis itself really IS boring... that's the reason why I often replay the game from the beginning... there's so much color and places and characters 'till Indy reaches the entrance of the Labyrinth that I always want to enjoy it.

jsarino

Udvarnoky

While the availability of the LucasArts adventure catalogue is unforgivably poor, you're in luck: both of the Indiana Jones adventures games are among the few that you can buy. Find them on Steam for dirt cheap. You're in for a treat, especially Fate of Atlantis.

jsarino

Udvarnoky said:
While the availability of the LucasArts adventure catalogue is unforgivably poor, you're in luck: both of the Indiana Jones adventures games are among the few that you can buy. Find them on Steam for dirt cheap. You're in for a treat, especially Fate of Atlantis.

Thanks for the tip! I've not used my Steam account in ages, so perhaps I may have a use for it after all. (y)

InVader

Sampler Contents

jsarino said:
One of my regrets was not getting a chance to play either game. :( My memory is vague on this, but I did play something like a LucasArts sampler of games, which one of them was an Indiana Jones game, but can't recall if it was a stand-alone, or a abbreviated version of Fate of Atlantis or The Last Crusade.

The Sampler included Zak Mckraken, Loom, Monkey Island 1, Maniac Mansion, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I never was interested enough to finish Maniac Mansion or Zak. The other 3 were great though.

jsarino

InVader said:
The Sampler included Zak Mckraken, Loom, Monkey Island 1, Maniac Mansion, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I never was interested enough to finish Maniac Mansion or Zak. The other 3 were great though.

Yup, that's it! I don't know what the heck I did with it, but I did recall playing Indy, Zak, and Monkey Island.

mrman7

What a great era for games!

These were my favorite games as a kid. (y) They were fairly open-ended in that you could explore all of the environments which always appealed to me. Additionally, since they relied on using your mind versus your reflexes you could play them with a group of friends --- each person offering ideas as to how to solve the puzzles. We had the collection that everyone is referring to at the day care center I went to as a kid, and one summer all the guys huddled in the computer room and beat Last Crusade together.

A second collection came out which bundled Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis, the Dig, Sam and Max and I believe a demo of Full Throttle as well. These games featured better animation and full speech, but that first collection retains a special place in my heart.

Thanks to a great program called SCUMM you can still play these games on your mac and pc! I still have most of the original disks but you can also find them on amazon as well. I try to play through at least one each summer just to remind myself of those carefree childhood days :cool:

IAdventurer01

mrman7 said:
Thanks to a great program called SCUMM you can still play these games on your mac and pc!

Just to be pedantic, it's SCUMMVM that allows you to play these old games. SCUMM is ... kind of like the the game engine used to make these classics.

mrman7

IAdventurer01 said:
Just to be pedantic, it's SCUMMVM that allows you to play these old games. SCUMM is ... kind of like the the game engine used to make these classics.

You're absolutely right, SCUMM was the scripting language they used to build the games, SCUMMVM is the emulator. I believe the VM is for virtual machine, right? :confused: