• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Just looking at that picture above, with all the TOD shots. In some it looks brown, in others it looks darker. However I think in the browner shots the sun is just blasting down on the jacket more and the distressing is actually creating the effect, or creating some of the brown. Similar on the LC jacket where the distressing almost looks coppery in some shots. Yep, I think it's actually the distressing that is giving the brown feel.

Also, what's interesting is when Indy walks into the village it looks like the left pocket flap is actually torn off. Also in this picture here. No pocket flap.

Click for larger

Torn off , or tucked in somehow, but it looks too flat to be tucked in. However the flap reappears at Pankot.

Last edited:

Drones33

I think you're right, it looks like the distressed areas have lost the sheen, allowing the brown to show through. Would be difficult to achieve I imagine.

Major West

Glenville86 said:
Raiders - lamb. TOD - lamb. Crusade - lamb or cow depending on who you ask. Think lamb was the jacket in the museum but might be wrong. CS - cow/steerhide.

Thoughts? Lighting just made the jackets look darker on screen in Raiders/CS?

I read on fortune and glory that Peter Botwright told somebody that Crusade was a thick veg tanned lamb. I can believe that. I've got 4 lamb jackets and each of them is ever so slightly different in weight and thickness. My ToD lamb jacket is a bit thinner than my recent Raiders custom, both 'authentic lamb' though. It crossed my mind that when ordering a wested jacket you could put in the request box a thicker or thinner bundle, depending on what you wanted. Obviously it's a request, not guarenteed.

I asked Wested about the Dark lambskin the other day and they said they are no longer using it on the Indiana Jones jackets. They said it was too thin and wasn't holding the shape of the jacket well enough. I suspected that would be the case, because if you went any thinner than the authentic lamb, I would imagine it would be a very thin and more tear prone jacket. The authentic though is quite tough. It survived a washing machine and several slashes with a swiss army knife.

Drones33

A swiss army knife? Wow. I take it that was part of the distressing process?

I agree regarding the differences between batches of the same skin. I bought an OTR Raiders a while ago in authentic lamb. The idea was to see the weight and feel of the lambskin. I subsequently returned it and went for the custom Raiders instead. And the difference was instantly apparent: the OTR, though soft and light, was quite thick and almost rubbery compared to the custom.
I suppose there`s a "luck-of-the-draw" aspect that could only be avoided by visiting the Wested in person.
Ive never been but should go really, its only a few hours away.

Major West

Drones33 said:
A swiss army knife? Wow. I take it that was part of the distressing process?

It was curiosity and a test. I decided to keep the jacket that went in the washing machine and use it to practise distressing on. I just did a good few 'swipes' with the knife. It cut into the leather, but not all the way through and still seemed quite strong and sturdy after. The knife could be used as a distressing technique ( I think HFs own pocket knife was used on the Raiders film jacket as part of the distressing), but I would use less force as I was deliberately stress testing the leather on this occasion. For distressing I would just use the knife to create visible scratch marks.

Your description of the OTR lamb jacket sounds similar to my OTR Crusade lamb jacket which I bought last year when I visited Wested in person. I wonder if there's some different process that the OTR jackets go through? However I just wore the Crusade jacket this week for the first time in months and it seems to have softened up considerably. Not sure how or why, but I like the effect.

Glenville86

I actually get more wear out of my Wested Indy dark lambskin than the others. Most of my Indy jackets are cooler/cold weather jackets. I still have worn the dark lambskin as recently as a few days ago. It is light.

Another one I have that is similar to the Wested dark lamb is my G&B in dark lamb. It is just slightly thicker than the Wested but not by much.

Major West

I find the wested authentic lamb is perfectly fine to wear in non winter conditions. Not summer, but then I would only wear a shirt in hot weather.

Major West

Hero jacket in Heavy Duty Pre-Distressed Lambskin.
Heavy_Duty_Pre_Distressed_Hero_edited.jpg

Not a screen accurate colour, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Comfortable to wear, very soft, but almost as thick as cowhide. If Indy's Raiders jacket had lasted a few more years it might have ended up looking as worn as this. (y)

You won't know what you're getting with this skin. It looks very different to the guy on Fotune and Glory who had a hero in the same skin, his looked more yellow, mine has a slightly coppery look to it that isn't showing in the picture. Taken at night with indoor lighting.

Major West

Yeah, first hero jacket. Very comfortable fit. I might have ordered the length 1/2" shorter, but it's fine as is. Will wear it in colder months, it layers well. Still prefer my recent Raiders custom, but that's because it I'm attached to it and it turned out well.

Drones33

I've seen that guy's jacket over at F&G, very yellow. Nice looking texture though. I'll be very interested to see how yours looks in natural light when you get the chance.

Glenville86

Major West

Haha. :D

The lighter distressed parts have a coppery look, that's just not coming through on the pictures, but I like the jacket more and more already.

Drones33

Oh yeah, really like it. Quite a distinctive grain by the look of it. Much nicer colour than the one F&G guy has I think. His is a bit too yellow for my taste, but yours looks great.
You chose wisely :hat:

Drones33

Dark brown Novapelle. Not going for screen accuracy, I want something that's quite different to my custom Raiders and LC. I really like the weight and feel of Novapelle and with a coat of pecards I think it'll work well for the TOD.