Excalibur

indifan101

Has anybody seen this movie? And if so what did you think about the take on the legend of Kind Arthur according to the film? I thought it was awesome a lot of Medieval battle scenes in it!

G-Man

It's a brilliant film, I love it, but it begins to run out of steam towards the end, as the knights go on the quest for the Holy Grail.

Ignatius Stone

I've always liked Excalibur a lot. Pretty decent (if small scale) battle scenes, and some really good actors.

I read an interview once with the movie's stunt co-ordinator who said that John Boorman supposedly had something like a 4 hour early cut of the movie, which eventually got pared down to the length it is now. Would love to see that work print, if it exists.

The Drifter

I had this movie on VHS many moons ago.
I don't remember much about it except that Merlin had a steel skull-cap on, and the battle in the swamp near the beginning.

I loved the swamp battle.

Stoo

Excalibur: Behind the Movie

Airing this Friday (Dec 1st) on the UK channel, PBS America at 9:00-10:15 PM GMT:

Excalibur: Behind The Movie (2017)
"Retrospective documentary that looks back at the making of director John Boorman's 1981 movie Excalibur, self-described as the toughest film he ever made. Excalibur told the tale of King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone and helped start the careers of some of today's most well known actors, including Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne."

First time in decades that I've been this excited for a TV 'event'! (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
King Arthur

Every decade someone takes a swing at this story. After forgettable Sean Connery and Keira Knightley versions, what was hoped to be a remake of Excalibur eventually became last year's Guy Ritchie movie, possibly the biggest box office bomb ever. $175M budget, $135M on marketing.

Arguably no less insane that Disney's Sword in the Stone, very stylish, and it finally depicts how Art learned kung fu. I quite enjoyed it. The truth about last century's sword and sandal epics is they're almost always long and tedious, and new ones (Noah, Exodus, Ben-Hur) are getting short shrift.