Indiana Jones & The Curse of the Chinese Whisperer

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know it's been tooooo long!!!

Marion led Indy through the passage. She knew where she was going. This felt strange to Indy. Usually, she would be the one following! How things have changed. They suddenly were heading towards some kind of loud crashing noises and screams of pain. Indy heard someone shout something in Mandarin.

"It's Shorty!" Indy whispered. "We gotta help him!"

Indy and Marion ran to the red light at the end of the tunnel where all the noise was coming from. They were in a chamber similar to the one that Marion was held in. Shorty was fighting off the remainder of the Eye of Lung Kou. Indy pulled out his whip and Marion started to fist fight with one of the garbed men.

BrodyIsDead

This adventure is just beginning...

“Use this!" shouted Indy. He tossed his revolver to Marion, while lassoing one of the masked henchmen around the neck with his whip. “It only has a few bullets left, make them count!”

Short-round seemed to fighting over a dozen of the thugs all at once in the far corner of the chamber. Roundhouse kicks, followed blocks, after chops and somersaults, as Shortie made quick work of his adversaries. But Indy could see he was hurt – his right arm had been sliced and was bleeding a lot through his white gi.

A shadow came across Indy’s face and he looked up to see a huge bear of a masked man standing over him. Indy tried to use his whip on the thug but the giant stamped on it and grabbed Indy by the throat, lifting him from the ground.

Three sudden sharp gunshots rang around the chamber and all that were in the stone cavern froze. The giant man dropped Indy to the floor and keeled over, slumping to the ground. Blood trickled from three places in his huge chest.

“You wasted all three remaining bullets on one man?!” gasped Indy as he rubbed his throat.

“Hey, Jones!” shouted Marion as she spun the revolver around and used it to club another thug over the head. “I just saved your life! Start sounding more grateful or this new partnership of ours is over before it even begins!”

Marion then quickly pulled out the hidden pistol from her stocking and finished off the rounds from that gun at more of the sect guards. Across the room, Shortie finished off the remaining thugs he was up against too.

Indy and Marion raced over to check on their friend.

“Oh, my Gods…” Marion said, looking at his wound.

“It’s just a scratch, right, Shortie?” laughed Indy.

Short Round grimaced but laughed through it. “Yes… I’ll survive, besides, I think there’s something here you’ve been looking for.”

Indy looked up to the altar and statue that seemed to be carved out of the cavern wall itself. In the space where the strange creature of the netherworld held its eyes sat two small gleaming statues of miniature dogs.

“Indy…” gasped Marion. “It’s the Lung Kou dragons.”

Indy climbed up the neck of the stone beast and grabbed the two statuettes. He sighed, “The Eye of Horus…”

“I cannot believe you did it, Indy.” Short Round.

“I know…” Indy’s eyes gleamed in the flickering torch light, but then he seemed to recover the looked of lust on his face. “And now I am returning them to their rightful owners.”

Shortie held out his hands and Dr Jones placed the statuettes into his.

“Just what the hell is going on, Jones?” growled Marion. “Is this what my father died for?!”

“Marion,… these are important artifacts for the Chinese people.” Said Indy, slowly. “And they belong in a museum. Besides, the fight against this sect isn’t over for us - we have more important work in Nepal, right?”

Marion sighed and nodded.

“Thank you both.” Shortie said, grunting as he struggled to his feet. “My uncle Wu Han would have been grateful, Indy.”

It wasn’t long until they found their way out of the myriad of caves and underground passageways, back to the forest road and the outskirts of the city. Shortie took the Dragon statuettes to his dojo and collected his car, to give Marion and Indy a lift to Peking Airport.

“No need for brake blocks these days, eh, Indy?!” quipped Shortie.

Indy smiled, reminiscing about days gone by but also thinking of the day before on top of the Great Wall. Marion sat cradled against him in the back seat, exhausted from the beginning of their adventure. It felt good to have her next to him again after all this time.

“Hey, by the way,” chuckled Shortie. “Have you ever heard how Willie is doing these days? I often wonder if she's still a big-time singer.”

Indy rolled his eyes and waited for the inevitable reaction…

“And just who’s Willie?!” Marion shrieked, taking Indy’s arm from around her. “An old pal too, I suppose!”

“Aw, that’s ancient history, Marion.” Sighed Indy. “Besides, there’s other things on my mind right now, I promise.”

“Like what?” Marion smiled her mischievous smile once more, gazing into Indy’s eyes.

"Like, ever since you said we had to go back to Nepal, I can't get out of my head what the old Chinese potter whispered to me up on the Wall as he jumped off… "

"What was it, Indy? Tell me." Marion's voice changed to a tone of concern, but gave away a little disappointment as well.

"He said, ‘An everlasting flame will beckon you to a land of snow, but beware, for a cyclops awaits you there where your destiny will be fulfilled'"…

For more Indy adventures, intriguing stories and much, much more, visit:

http://cgallan.blogspot.com :hat:

And there’s still time to join a brand new mystery trail at:

www.findthemissingreel.com :gun:

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
They arrived at Peking Airport. They waved goodbye to Shorty. Shorty promised Indy he would return the statues to the rightful owners. And so, Indy and Marion boarded the plane, onward as always into the great unknown, not exactly the first time for either of them. They slept through most of the journey, resting from the night before. Well... Marion really had a hard time sleeping. She always had problems sleeping on planes. She envied Indy, for being able to sleep on planes, after the events of last night. Mind you, she thought He can sleep through anything, even that time on the Bantu Wind....

They arrived at Kathmandu. It wasn't much of an airport. It was more like a air field with a few big sheds and a small building. They walked out into the street to find a familiar face or at least, familiar to Marion.

"Mohan! What are you doing here?" quipped Marion.

"Miss Ravenwood. It is good to see you're alive. I knew you were bound to come back sooner or later." Mohan answered. "I have a car. We can drive to the Raven. Follow me."

Indy and Marion followed, but Indy was suspicious. He whispered to Marion.

"Can we trust him? Does he know about this secret under the Raven?"

"Dad needed more than just me to help him. Mohan, doesn't know everything about it. He only knows about as much as you do."

"But, I don't know anything."

"Exactly. It's on a need to know basis."

"I thought we were partners."

"Of course, we are. We'll talk about it in the car. Out here is too dangerous."

BrodyIsDead

The next chapter of the Curse of the Chinese Whisperer!

They drove upwards and onwards into the cold, familiar mountains in Mohan's old beat-up Volkswagen - it coughed and spluttered as they got to higher and higher altitudes.

Marion and her old friend chatted non-stop and made up for lost time, while Indy sat in the back of the car, silently watching Mohan and trying to work out how he knew Marion would be returning at that exact moment - why was he at the airport waiting? All Indy could remember about him was that he helped Marion turn out the drunken patrons of her good-for-nothing bar at the end of a raucous night.

“Mohan has watched over the site of the first Raven for the past 30 years, Jones”. Marion said suddenly, as if she could read Indy’s thoughts. “I asked Shortie to telegram ahead to let him know we were arriving. There’s no-one I trust more than Mohan – not even you!”

Indy tried to laugh as if he felt more relaxed. But something still didn’t sit right with him.

“I have to tell you, Miss Marion, the village of Patan has changed quite substantially since you left it all those years ago.” grunted Mohan not taking his eyes off the treacherous mountain roadway ahead. “Big-time investors moved in not long after the Raven was burnt down and it’s a regular tourist trap now.”

“Well…!” Marion slapped Mohan on the shoulder, dust rose out of his thick sherpa overcoat. “Things must have improved if someone got you to learn this much English!”

“Wait a minute…” It was Indy’s turn to grunt. “If this secret underground place is so important to you and Abner, how come you’ve never been back here once in over 30 years?!”

Marion spun her head round, she had lost her carefree grin. She shook her head slightly in Mohan’s direction as she spoke. “We… were busy chasing the Ark again, remember? And Dad was always after some other ancient relic, just like yourself – I mean,… have you ever gone back to India to see that Temple you once told me about? Or returned to Alexandreta to see what’s left of that old Crusader’s tomb?”

Indy sighed and slouched back into his seat. He put his fedora over his face and tried to get some shut-eye amidst the bumps and shudders of the rocky trail they were following. But lots of questions rolled round quietly in Indy’s head - Marion was obviously bothered by her “old friend” Mohan too from the shake of her head, so, did Mohan know about the hidden underground chambers of the burnt-down Raven after all? Or had Indy given the game away by blabbing it all out just a second ago?

“We’re here!” called Mohan after a long while. “Home sweet home.”

Indy looked out of the misty car window at the no-longer down-trodden village of Patan, high in the Himalayan mountains. There was a ski lodge, at least two hotels, a “mountain spa” and no rough shacks like there used to be.

“At least that old monument’s still there – remind me to take you up close to it in the daylight, Jones.” Said Marion in a matter of fact manner. She pounted to a tall thin column of stone mounted on a heavy-looking plinth. “There’s some names on there you’ve just got to see to believe…”

“Miss Marion, this over here is the surprise I’ve saved for last.” said Mohan, stopping the car outside a large glitzy building. “This if you remember is the site of the old Raven – it’s been developed, as you can see.”

“I’ll say!” gasped Indy.

All three of them got out of the car and in the wind and snow read the sign hanging over the main entrance:

“The Raven’s Return”​

"That's not all" said Mohan walking towards the doors. "Wait till you see who's running the place"...

-------------------------------------

www.findthemissingreel.com - adventure sometimes has a different name...

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
They walked into the new building which the owner had called, "The Raven's Return." However, it was no longer a bar as it was before. It was a huge Eastern style antique store, like the ones that you'd see in your local Chinatown, but more real, authetic, stuff that really isn't junk.

It was silent, eerie. Dim red lighting filled the place. Incense hung as heavy as humidity in the atmosphere. Yep, there was definitely something very unusual about this place.

"Hello? Are you home?" Mohan called out.

A curtain at the far dark corner of the store shifted. A shadow approached. It become obvious that the figure was a woman. As the figure got closer, slowly, it was an very old woman.

The curtain was drawn back by the figure's hand, without revealing her identity.

"Is that you, Mohan? What... do you want?" she croaked.

"Marion has returned." Mohan answered. "Don't you want to see her?"

Indy looked at Marion, puzzled. Marion looked back, a bit scared.

"Marion... Daughter. You are here?"

The curtain was now completely drawn and the weathered face of the woman was revealed to them. Her hair was grey with black streaks and was indeed ancient, but the similarities were there. Mrs. Ravenwood?

"Your mother's alive?!" Indy exclaimed.

"It can't be. Mohan, is this a trick?" So it seems Marion, also didn't know what was coming. Indy had always thought that Mrs. Ravenwood had died, giving birth to Marion and thus, why Marion had all her life travelled with her father across the world during her childhood, right through to her adult life. But, this was just getting far too confusing. Such is family business.

The woman claiming to be Mrs. Ravenwood montioned them to come to her through the curtain.

"Come, we can talk about this out the back together." She then, turned to Mohan. "Watch over the shop."

Mohan nodded and stood at his post. Indy followed Marion through the curtain with the old woman.

They were in a library of heavy wood and carved stone bricks. They stood at the library shelf.

"So, dear are you going to introduce me to your...eh, gentleman friend? Wait. Now it is clear..." The old woman turned to Indy and suddenly was in a half-trance like state. "You were Abner's most promising student. You are indeed a most gifted man, but often that has led you down such dangerous paths, but none so as dangerous as the one you are now treading will be the worst. But, remember: the darkest hour is always before the dawn, Indiana Jones."

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know it's been a while, but I'll try to make up for it!

They walked into the new building which the owner had called, "The Raven's Return." However, it was no longer a bar as it was before. It was a huge Eastern style antique store, like the ones that you'd see in your local Chinatown, but more real, authetic, stuff that really isn't junk.

It was silent, eerie. Dim red lighting filled the place. Incense hung as heavy as humidity in the atmosphere. Yep, there was definitely something very unusual about this place.

"Hello? Are you home?" Mohan called out.

A curtain at the far dark corner of the store shifted. A shadow approached. It become obvious that the figure was a woman. As the figure got closer, slowly, it was an very old woman.

The curtain was drawn back by the figure's hand, without revealing her identity.

"Is that you, Mohan? What... do you want?" she croaked.

"Marion has returned." Mohan answered. "Don't you want to see her?"

Indy looked at Marion, puzzled. Marion looked back, a bit scared.

"Marion... Daughter. You are here?"

The curtain was now completely drawn and the weathered face of the woman was revealed to them. Her hair was grey with black streaks and was indeed ancient, but the similarities were there. Mrs. Ravenwood?

"Your mother's alive?!" Indy exclaimed.

"It can't be. Mohan, is this a trick?" So it seems Marion, also didn't know what was coming. Indy had always thought that Mrs. Ravenwood had died, giving birth to Marion and thus, why Marion had all her life travelled with her father across the world during her childhood, right through to her adult life. But, this was just getting far too confusing. Such is family business.

The woman claiming to be Mrs. Ravenwood montioned them to come to her through the curtain.

"Come, we can talk about this out the back together." She then, turned to Mohan. "Watch over the shop."

Mohan nodded and stood at his post. Indy followed Marion through the curtain with the old woman.

They were in a library of heavy wood and carved stone bricks. They stood at the library shelf.

"So, dear are you going to introduce me to your...eh, gentleman friend? Wait. Now it is clear..." The old woman turned to Indy and suddenly was in a half-trance like state. "You were Abner's most promising student. You are indeed a most gifted man, but often that has led you down such dangerous paths, but none so as dangerous as the one you are now treading will be the worst. But, remember: the darkest hour is always before the dawn, Indiana Jones."

sorry double posted, computer problems

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Anyone is allowed to join and add their own piece to the story!

Indy was shocked by the old woman. Marion's eyes were still wide and puzzled.

"You can't be my mother. I never knew her. She died when I was born." Marion denied.

The milky eyes of Mrs. Ravenwood glared into Marion's green eyes. Fear, the same fear Marion felt for the Ark, the supernatural unknown filled her, consumed her. She breathed hard, wordless, mouth trembling, aching to say something, to prove that this strange little woman had nothing to do with her. Had her father lied to her as she had to Indy?

"Years have passed you by and you have let them do so, why? To wait for a dream that you haven't fallen asleep to have? Instead, of questioning yourself how long, ask yourself why. You deny everything you have seen and know to be true, simply because you don't understand it." The old woman was seeing into her heart.

"I don't want to understand it... I KNOW WHY I WAIT!" Marion wailed. She became tense. The old woman looked away. Marion started to fall to the floor. Indy caught her, comforting her.

"What did she mean by that, Marion?" Indy asked softly.

BrodyIsDead

Back To Patan...

Marion walked almost trance-like over to the far wall of the library which held dozens of books on all kinds of subjects. She stopped by a particularly thick book and pulled at its spine, yanking it from its shelf.

Indy walked slowly over to Marion and her “mother” pulled on a chord that came out of the low ceiling and a distant bell rang as if to summon the servant of the house.

“Hey, doll…” whispered Indy, while still smiling at Marion. “Why don’t we tell her what your father said back when he was dying? You know, about – “

“No!” Marion half-shouted, slamming the heavy book shut and sending dust flying into the air between Indy face and her own.

“Yes,… fraulein, vhy don’t you tell us all about your Vater, und begin vith ze secret sect he aligned himself vith…” It was a husky but familiar voice.

Indy and Marion spun round. Behind Marion’s supposed mother stood three men. Two were huge and wore trench coats like Indy had seen G-Men back home wear, while the one who had spoken wore a darker overcoat, small spectacles and a trilby hat which both Marion and Indy had once seen before.

“Toht?” Marion said, shivering as she said it.

"Ja, Ja…” replied the German who now smiled knowingly at the old woman standing next to him.

Before Indy could stop her Marion marched across the library floor to the men in the doorway and grabbed Toht’s right hand. She seemed to sigh and then held it out so that Indy could see. There was no burn mark like the one “their” Toht had gained on his visit to Patan so many years ago.

“Fraulein, if you would allow me?” the German pulled his hand gently free and proceeded to take off his heavy overcoat and hat. He had a full head of hair and it was a faded blond colour rather than the jet black of the Toht they had once met.

Marion frowned at Indy and came back towards her friend. Indy put his arm around her.

“Well!” smiled the old lady suddenly gaining a spirited air. “I’ll go and make us some herb tea, shall I? It’s just the thing to clear the head on these cold mountain evenings.”

The German’s henchmen advanced into the library and came to stand behind Indy and Marion as the old women left the room. “Toht” as he called himself sat in a large leather armchair with tall decorative wings on either side of it.

He reached inside his overcoat as he began to sit and Indy instinctively but slowly edged his hand closer to his revolver at his waist.

"You vill not be needing zat, Herr Jones…” sniggered the German. “Not yet at least. You see, it iz somezing much more powerful than a veapon zat I carry vith me in my jacket pocket.”

Marion leaned against the shelves by her slightly, obviously not sure whether to believe the sight before them – this man DID look remarkably like the Nazi Gestapo officer they had faced off with here at the old Raven and then in Cairo almost three decades before.

“It iz family honour…” continued Toht. “My older brother’s last wish to be precise…”

Marion looked at Indy and twisted her face. “I think we’ve stepped into that Twilight Zone, Jones.”

“Yeah…” chuckled Indy. “But this ain’t no new-fangled TV show – it’s old news…”

“AND bad news,… for you both, regrettably...” as the German nodded passed Indy and Marion and they felt the henchmen’s hands on their shoulders. “I’m afraid, as vill come as little surprise to you, my elder brother, Arnold, did not like either of you very much – he named you in his last letter to me before his death.”

“That’s all very convenient, but still highly unmoving,” Indy hoped his words would strike the German more painfully than any fist to the face could – the situation felt too one-sided and he needed to redress the balance any way he could. “Just why are you in Patan – your brother found nothing here but fire and ice.”

Toht’s left eye twitched slightly and Indy knew he had got to him a little. The German pulled out an old and tattered envelope from his jacket and opened it, revealing one sheet of faded paper.

“My brother came in search of a headpiece for some insignificant religious icon but discovered somesing so much more intriguing that he

"My elder brother had to dictate this letter to a trusted aide on his journey from this frozen country to the deserts of Egypt since he was right handed and was in agony with his scarred hand... He speaks of his hatred of two Americans in particular but also of something he glimpsed as he looked into the fire in the bar which stood on this very site in 1936..."

"I knew that burkha guide of yours would betray us, Marion..." Indy said in a low voice through gritted teeth. "He obviously let this latter day Nazi know that we were coming here after you wired him from China."

Marion stared blankly at him, unsure what to think herself.

"Do not blame your servant in the shop front, he vos oblivious to our eavesdropping on his phone conversations all zese years, but it was a necessary step to know ven you both vould return here in each ozer's company," Toht the younger stood up. "And, Herr Jones,... I am no Nazi. That movement is long dead in my country."

"So, what sort of vision did your late brother see in the flames of the fireplace here, then?" Indy's voice held a flippant tone.

"It voz not in the fire, my good doctor, but in the fireplace itself," Toht chuckled. "The Eye of Horus etched in the stonework of a Nepalese bar... It was unusual enough for this part of the world, unique even that my brother commited it to memory and even talked with the Fuhrer's expert in Egypt when he arrived there about it over a bottle of the man's own family vintage."

"Belloch..." groaned Indy and Marion as if with one voice.

"In death that scavenger still haunts my trails..." sighed Indy.

"My brother was told what this must mean, which ancient sect this must pertain to..." Toht spoke in a softer voice now. "But what he didn't know was how to find what must be hidden here... For that we needed the two of you to return here..."

Without warning to Marion, Indy launched himself backwards into the thug who stood with one arm on his shoulder. The goon went hurtling back into the bookcase which stood at the back of the room and a dozen or so books came hurtling down onto him. Marion, still holding the thick dusty book she took from the shelf slammed it into the face of Toht’s bodyguard behind her. Dust spewed up into the man's face and he coughed and spluttered while grasping for his split nose.

Indy grabbed Marion by the arm and they ran out into the corridor back towards the front of the old antiques shop. The old lady was coming down with a tray of tea cups and a teapot but the two knocked into her as they went and she fell to the floor.

"Marion, we can't wait!" Indy shouted as she knelt to help the woman. "She obviously was the one who helped Toht out here - would you real mother do that?"

Just then Toht appeared from the library doorway and fired three shots from a Luger. The bullets ricocheted down the hallway, narrowly missing them.

Indy pulled out his own revolver and blasted back at the German, who disappeared back into the library. Marion left the old woman where she was and they darted back through the curtain into the shop.

Mohan was tied up and gagged next to the counter and the outer door was barred closed. "There's no way out through the front door."

"We're not leaving that way," said Marion, her voice holding tears of hestation, still looking back at the old lady in the hallway.

But the old lady got up and began to shriek, "Tell me what your father said as he died! I must know!"

Indy could see Toht and his men making their way down the corridor out of the library. He untied Mohan quickly, nodding acknowledgement to the sherpa that he had been wrong about him. "Know if there's another weapon anywhere in this joint?"

Mohan didn't reply but got up and walked over to the shop counter and pulled out an old World War II style German machine gun from below it. "Left over from your last visit here, years ago." Mohan smiled. "I kept it as a souvenier..."

"Let's put it to good use, then," smiled Indy.

Indy and Mohan began to let out a barrage of gunfire down the corridor. The old lady had now stopped screaming and had dissappeared from view but Toht and his men fired back.

Marion for her part was strangely clumping around the shop floor behind Indy and Mohan.

"What the hell are you doin' now?!"

"Looking for the original site of the fireplace from the Raven!" shouted Marion back, as if he shouldn't be asking stupid questions.

"Watch out, Mr Indy!" came Mohan's voice suddenly.

Indy swung around just in time to see one of Toht's men lighting a molotov cocktail from a bottle of alcohol and then sling it in the direction of the shop doorway.

"No! My shop! My life!" screamed the old lady from somewhere in the shadows behind Toht and his men.

"Found it!" gasped Marion striking a hollow part of the floor. She knelt down and began prising up a wooden hatch.

"Run!" shouted Indy to Mohan but Mohan pushed Indy out of the way and threw himself forward into the incoming makeshift bomb.....

Last edited:

BrodyIsDead

Back to Patan (part 2!)

(NB - read part 1 above first!)

...There was flames and debris everywhere. Smoke filled the air.

"I've had too much deja vu for one day..." gasped Indy as Marion pulled him towards the hatch in the floor.

They fell into a darkened pit of a room and the flames roared on above them. Marion lit a small pocket torch which she carried with her and revealed the contents of the secret cellar - all sorts of artifacts and priceless treasures littered shelves and looked remarkably like Indy’s office when he was at Marshall College years before.

Marion took the thick old book she’d taken from the library and jumped up at the hatch above, propping up the trapdoor.

Indy wheezed at her, “Are you crazy? That’ll help the fire swamp down here too!”

“That’s the idea, Professor!” shouted Marion now in total control.

“We can’t let all this go up in flames, Marion…”

“They belong in a museum, right?” Marion chuckles. “My father knew they’d be distracting enough for any tomb raiders who might discover the place. They were only a cheap cover to hide the only real treasure down here.”

Indy looked at her, aghast.

Marion picked prized up a small floorboard and took out a tiny antique box the size of her thumb –

“That looks like a Victorian snuff box…” said Indy cautiously.

“You’re close… but no cigar this time, Dr Jones… Let’s go.” Marion smirked and crossed to the back of the cellar, opening a small hatch which lead into a dark tunnel.

“Where does that lead to?” asked Indy.

Marion hurled herself into the tunnel and her voice echoed back with the words, “The cave, of course,... where else?”

-------------------------------------------

http://www.findthemissingreel.com - follow the hunt this summer! :cool:

Last edited: