12" Sideshow "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Indy figure (standard) - shipping update?

Billy Ray

Holy crap! Welcome back!

I agree, SS's production paintjobs rarely do the underlying sculpt justice. I must say that Indy is one of the better production jobs, but personal experiences will most definitely vary. My hatted head's paint apps are great, but the hatless head looks terrible. It looks like he is in drag or something, he has so much "eyeliner" on.

I doubt any mass market figure will ever look as good as some of the custom repaints out there.

Check out this repaint!

Last edited:

mfisher

I just stripped down the head with fedora with acetone over the weekend.. the sculpt underneath is really nice.. plus the factory paint is a tad thick, so once it is stripped down you get to see a bit more detail in the sculpt.. I also ended up taking the fedora off the head with an xacto knife because the fedora sculpt just isn't tall enough to really be accurate.. instead it has been replaced with one of the resin fedora's from a custom sculptor.. ( sorry.. mass production won't ever be able to keep up with custom figures... period ).. the combination of Trevor's Harrison head and a more accurate fedora is flat out phenomenal... the sideshow figure is a perfect platform to work from in creating one heck of an Indy figure... we just really need a good Marion from sideshow to really top off what is available now..

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
Holy crap! Welcome back!

I agree, SS's production paintjobs rarely do the underlying sculpt justice. I must say that Indy is one of the better production jobs, but personal experiences will most definitely vary. My hatted head's paint apps are great, but the hatless head looks terrible. It looks like he is in drag or something, he has so much "eyeliner" on.

I doubt any mass market figure will ever look as good as some of the custom repaints out there.

Check out this repaint!

yea those paint apps are sooo much better. I just KNEW that the paint process would hurt the sculpt

Billy Ray

I've repainted quite a few Hasbro headsculpts in my day with varying degrees of success. Even underneath most of the Hasbro paint jobs there was a beautiful sculpt, ruined by the paint apps. I just can't bring myself to repaint any of my SS figures though. I am seriously considering picking up a loose head, just to give it a go though. My mom also has a friend who repaints dolls and does the most realistic eyes I have ever seen in my life! Maybe I can get her to repaint an Indy head for me.

mfisher

if you want to see realistic eyes.. this guy will BLOW YOU AWAY !

http://blog.naver.com/tiger231/80027463297

click the link to the right for his Hot Toys Joker repaint... unbelievable.. also if you just scroll through his pages there is an Indy he did as well..

I went digging through his site.. click the link on the left that says " my works" and go all the way to page 30... his repaint of the Arnie Kim Indy sculpt is there..

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Man, you aren't kidding...that's amazing...and yet creepy at the same time! Very nice work. I kid you not though, this friend of my mom's can do eyes just like that. She repainted the eyes on one of my mom's doll's and I thought they were glass eyes...they looked that real.

That Joker is incredible though! I'd love to see what this guy could do with Trevor's Indy sculpt.

The Golden Idol

mfisher said:
if you want to see realistic eyes.. this guy will BLOW YOU AWAY !

http://blog.naver.com/tiger231/80027463297

click the link to the right for his Hot Toys Joker repaint... unbelievable.. also if you just scroll through his pages there is an Indy he did as well..

I went digging through his site.. click the link on the left that says " my works" and go all the way to page 30... his repaint of the Arnie Kim Indy sculpt is there..

I can't find it, the only thing I see on page 30 is a Che figure.

RaidersoftheArk

Scroll down below,there you will find numbers,press the last one 3 times;)

I really disagree,it doesn'tlook that amazing like others and the resemblance is not that good..but the eyes are better than the sideshow version imo(y)

Billy Ray

His Indy isn't that great, the one on Arnie Kim's site (using that same headsculpt) is much better, but we were really just talking about his paint jobs in general...particularly his eyes. Check out some of the paint on his other figures...amazing!

mfisher

Never said the Indy was the really good one.. was referring to his Joker repaint ( which is one of the better 1/6 paint apps I have ever seen )... as for Indy, I was just advising there was one on the site... The Arnie Kim sculpt was, for a time, one of the better ones we had to choose from.. but now that Trevor's is out there for us, there is simply no comparison.. his is, at this point, our best option.. ( at least in my opinion ).. with a proper repaint, Trevor's work will give us one fantastic scale Indy... and I think that is pretty much the general consensus here anyway... We need to start a new "custom Indy figures" thread just for the 1/6th scale stuff.. I really am curious to see what the rest of you are doing with the sideshow Indy and even the medicom version... plus it would be great to see what other characters you guys can come up with in that scale.. ( they are doing great stuff in the thread for the 3 3/4" line)

KneelBeforeZod

Billy Ray said:
Man, you aren't kidding...that's amazing...and yet creepy at the same time! Very nice work. I kid you not though, this friend of my mom's can do eyes just like that. She repainted the eyes on one of my mom's doll's and I thought they were glass eyes...they looked that real.

That Joker is incredible though! I'd love to see what this guy could do with Trevor's Indy sculpt.

Since we've veered off the Indy figure onto other impressive figures ... EnterBay's Jack Bauer looks incredible. Aside from Harrison Ford, there is probably not a more difficult face to capture than Keifer Sutherland. This may be the best headsculpt I've ever seen ...

Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland)
http://www.toys2.net/product.php?productid=20655&cat=251&page=1

David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert)
http://www.toys2.net/product.php?productid=20656&cat=0&page=1

KBZ

Billy Ray

Yeah, I saw those 24 figures on Enterbay...very nice!

Took some more pics of Indy today (can't leave him alone!):

IMG_10292.JPG

IMG_10322.JPG

IMG_10392.JPG

IMG_10413.JPG

IMG_10572.JPG

IMG_10593.JPG

IMG_10761.JPG

IMG_10721.JPG

IMG_10872.JPG

Billy Ray

I have read of people using super glue to tighten the joints, as well as rbber bands. Fortunately, my Indy doesn't suffer from the loose joint syndrome, so I can't speak from personal experience. You might want to check out the Sideshow Freaks forums, there are a lot of tips to be found there.

RaidersoftheArk

Thanks for the tips, but it's very hard to find a TT since all indy ss are almost switching over..i like the figure so much and than i get a crap body..i know its price relation but if indy can only stand..i could have left him in the box..:confused: