Is Indy a "Family hero" and a good role model for kids?

Is Indiana Jones a good role model for young kids?

• Yes, he's a perfect role model.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Not really but I don't mindmy kids watching the movies.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • NO WAY! He took advantage of teenage Marion amongst other things.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have NO idea...

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
An interesting point, Rocket. I don't think there's much doubt that Indy and Marion reached the last base, as it were.
You must mean, "reached home". The term "last base" is non-existant.;)

What I find funny is that, upon first joining The Raven, there were extremely long, essay-type posts about the dark side of Indy...The Man Who Stepped From The Shadows in Raiders of the Lost Ark...Now, some of those same people are having debates over which film is better: "Wall-E" or "The Incredibles"!:eek:

HJJNR

Stoo said:

What I find funny is that, upon first joining The Raven, there were extremely long, essay-type posts about the dark side of Indy...The Man Who Stepped From The Shadows in Raiders of the Lost Ark...Now, some of those same people are having debates over which film is better: "Wall-E" or "The Incredibles"!:eek:

The Incredibles!

Sorry couldnt resist

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I want to add this too the mix!

If you agree that indy should be subject to the law regarding the context of the discussion. Is it appropriate for him to mentor a young child? Is that child at risk?

Montana Smith

Stoo said:

I know nothing about Baseball, as over here we play the adult version of the game, which uses mature terminology such as silly point, silly mid-off, fine leg, and googly. :p

Crack that whip

Montana Smith said:
The point being that until 1920 the age of consent within US states ranged between 10-12 years old. So, by the mid-1920s even though Indy was committing a criminal act, as Marion was 15, she was still a lot older than she would have needed to be only a few years earlier.

... and that's assuming they even had their affair in the US, of course.

Lao_Che said:
As far as the Ultimate Guide goes, Marion's 15 going on 16 when she's with Indy. So it can still be wrong and he know it. ;) Marion born March 1909. Marion and Indy are together Spring 1925 - Autumn 1925.

That sounds to me like the affair began either just as she was about to turn 16, actually, or after she actually had. Mind you, Raiders takes place in '36 (I'd have to say late '36, in fact, "authoritative" sources to the contrary notwithstanding - see the chronology discussion elsewhere in this forum for more) and refers to the affair as having taken place ten years earlier (which could be simple rounding, but still), so I'm inclined to put their original romance in 1926...

Lao_Che said:
Of course, taking in the larger continuity, at this time (Summer 1925) Indy is building a relationship with future first wife Deirdre Campbell. That's wrong and he'd know it. :p

Indeed. Of course, there's already a precedent for Indy romancing more than one woman at the same time - though not when the relationships are so serious, mind you...

Stoo said:

Both are terrific.

Lao_Che

Crack that whip said:
That sounds to me like the affair began either just as she was about to turn 16, actually, or after she actually had. Mind you, Raiders takes place in '36 (I'd have to say late '36, in fact, "authoritative" sources to the contrary notwithstanding - see the chronology discussion elsewhere in this forum for more) and refers to the affair as having taken place ten years earlier (which could be simple rounding, but still), so I'm inclined to put their original romance in 1926...

With personal canon, so am I. Not just because it lines up better with other stories but an Indy in mourning for his wife (and following the death of fiancé Molly before that [and Prentiss rejecting him before that]) makes perfect sense to me why he would run away from Marion. Twice.

I tend to think the intent by implying Marion was first is so she was always The One(tm) without the consideration that she looks much worse off by being rejected by Indy who then goes off and... marries a student? Huh.

Crack that whip said:
Indeed. Of course, there's already a precedent for Indy romancing more than one woman at the same time - though not when the relationships are so serious, mind you...

Scandal of 1920? At least his indecision is relevant to the plot. ;)

Crack that whip

Lao_Che said:
With personal canon, so am I. Not just because it lines up better with other stories but an Indy in mourning for his wife (and following the death of fiancé Molly before that [and Prentiss rejecting him before that]) makes perfect sense to me why he would run away from Marion. Twice.

Nicely done.
:hat:

(And yes, Scandal of 1920 is what I was thinking of.)

Indyologist

Sharkey said:
You are so wrong. Indiana Jones was never a family hero.Not even now. He raped an underage girl and later he got her pregnant and left her at the altar.

How do you KNOW Indy did this to Marion? Please site your sources. This has NOT been proven ANYWHERE.

axelan

I browsed through some of this thread and find some of the bickering a bit ridiculous. If you are just watching the movie, that scene with Marion was vague and open ended. That's one thing that makes movies great so that a larger audience can relate to them.

As for if anyone cares about my two cents. I think a lot of children are overprotected these days. I was the farthest thing from sheltered growing up and I learned street smarts and wisdom that have served me well through life. Meanwhile I know people who grew up extremely sheltered and lead their life down the gutter. If you ask me, we need more Indy and less :gun: barney but I actually don't care.

As for being a role model. I don't really think Indy is a perfect role model. If Indiana Jones had a little bit more in it about social justice issues of archeology maybe. I will not argue against people seeing him as a role model though. I myself find inspiration in Indiana Jones and the fact there isn't any smoking, and not much drinking is one of my favorite things I just realized as I post this.

The movies work well as family movies for all ages and I would never change that. They are what they are and that's why we love them. If you want more adult, go watch The Dark Knight or some other garbage :) Oh no, I hope no one gets the idea to redo Indiana Jones like they redid batman with the Dark Knight. Maybe I shouldn't even mention this... hehe No really. No dark Indiana Jones movies please. I already struggle with too much darkness in the world.

Last edited: