Ark burns US warehouse crate?

Stoo

Again, I'm not trying to prove that the scene exists. This is merely to show that the recent rebuttals hold no weight:
Vance said:
The wind effect is actually still there, just subtle. (Notice the dust as it's nailed shut). The cresendo music downs out the wind's sound effect, though it's a little audible in the Blu Ray release (which has remastered sound). I don't think that this is indictative of God hating the United States, which was what the burning of the Nazi symbol was supposed to indicate.
Moedred said:
Of course, there's always wind, even down in the Well of Souls.
Guys, "sound effects" are SOUND! The Continuity Breakdown document has seperate sections for sound effects (but I didn't include them). The WIND EFFECTS were in the SPECIAL EFFECTS sections of both scenes, and those boxes in the document meant: VISUAL EFFECTS

@Vance: Dust from the nailed crate? Are you actually suggesting that this dust was a special effect?:confused:
Vance said:
I'm not sure how anyone could miss the symbolism of the God of the Jews burning away a Nazi emblem in 1936. I mean, we're not exactly talking subtle here...
Such a scene wouldn't necessarily be equating the U.S.A. with Nazi Germany. It probably would have been a statement that "the of Ark is beyond the claims of any nationality" (just as InexorbaleTash so astutely surmised). G_d does not equal The United States nor any other country. Having the Ark burning off the warehouse stencil would've been a nice double-twist ending.
InexorableTash said:
Correlation between reported memories of such a scene and nationality would be quite interesting.
Indeed, it would, Tash! For starters, the largest number of reported witnesses are from the Australia and...the United States!

Vance

Stoo said:
Dust from the nailed crate? Are you actually suggesting that this dust was a special effect?:confused:

Don't forget that any script-called effect, even if they're just stage directions, can fall under this category. "Make sure the dust is stirred up as the music builds up in this shot" would indeed qualify.

Such a scene wouldn't necessarily be equating the U.S.A. with Nazi Germany. It probably would have been a statement that "the of Ark is beyond the claims of any nationality"

Yeah, most of the casual audience wouldn't take it as such, and it also undercuts the very real point of The God of the Jews being made to serve Hitler... Seriously, how can anyone miss that?

Indeed, it would, Tash! For starters, the largest number of reported witnesses are from the Australia and...the United States!

Memory confusion mixed with some oikophobia... but it's been 30 years and no one can put up a shot of this. If there was an actual release with this 'scene' in it, it would have shown up years ago - at least the day after YouTube opened.

Stoo

Vance said:
Don't forget that any script-called effect, even if they're just stage directions, can fall under this category. "Make sure the dust is stirred up as the music builds up in this shot" would indeed qualify..
Vance! Before you bother challenging this...Please read the Continuity Breakdown document and you'll see that this effect is SPECIFICALLY CATEGORIZED as a "SPECIAL EFFECT" (in the exact, same categorized box as the Bantu Wind shot).:gun:
Vance said:
Yeah, most of the casual audience wouldn't take it as such, and it also undercuts the very real point of The God of the Jews being made to serve Hitler... Seriously, how can anyone miss that?
Which part of the "casual audience", though? The religious kind or the non-religious kind?:confused:
Vance said:
Memory confusion mixed with some oikophobia... but it's been 30 years and no one can put up a shot of this. If there was an actual release with this 'scene' in it, it would have shown up years ago - at least the day after YouTube opened.
You can't say that with absolute certainty, Vance. How many people (all over the world) filmed "Raiders" from the the theatrical screen in 1981?:confused: How many people (all over the world) recorded "Raiders" from TV in 1982?:confused:

Vance

Stoo said:
Vance! Before you bother challenging this...Please read the Continuity Breakdown document and you'll see that this effect is SPECIFICALLY CATEGORIZED as a "SPECIAL EFFECT" (in the exact, same categorized box as the Bantu Wind shot).:gun:

I wasn't really challenging it, just pointing out that any called-out effect is a special effect, even if it seems particularly mundane, like stirring up the dust, etc.

Which part of the "casual audience", though? The religious kind or the non-religious kind?:confused:

Dude, serioiusly, saying "In God's eyes, you're just more Nazis" is pretty much going to offend anyone... except maybe Nazis... and even then they'll be offended by the flipside. Yeah, there's no 'win' here.

You can't say that with absolute certainty, Vance. How many people (all over the world) filmed "Raiders" from the the theatrical screen in 1981?:confused: How many people (all over the world) recorded "Raiders" from TV in 1982?:confused:

With absolution? I'll say that there was never a main release that included this cut. Ever. Period. All of the film's releases are documented, including changes made... none, not one, ever mentions this.

Also, considering how different the props would have to be from the final cut to the 'mystery scene' here (entirely different crates, different imagery, and differing scene layout), I would say it's about as definitive as you can get without a time machine.

This is another internet myth and nothing more.

russds

Vance said:
Also, considering how different the props would have to be from the final cut to the 'mystery scene' here (entirely different crates, different imagery, and differing scene layout), I would say it's about as definitive as you can get without a time machine.

Also, don't forget the score would have to be different too. If your a "pre-credit believer" and you believe the scene was somewhere before the credits, that would mean there would be an alternate music cue there as well, as the music is none stop from scene on Washington steps.

InexorableTash

Vance said:
I'll say that there was never a main release that included this cut. Ever. Period. All of the film's releases are documented, including changes made... none, not one, ever mentions this.

This is another internet myth and nothing more.

I agree. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, eyewitnesses are known to be extremely unreliable, and memories easily altered. But it is fascinating to analyze these and try to figure out how these originate and resonate with viewers. Like other such scenes there is often some trigger which can be identified.

For this one, I suspect it's the vaguely similar framing of the burning scene and the stenciling scene, and the repetition of the Ark's musical theme.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
You saw Indy and Marion drive away in the theater.

106737_original.jpg

Consider it. Now put it out of your mind. Sleep on it.

yeppp

I registered just to tell everyone that I clearly remember the words and symbol being burned off the box after it was put in the warehouse.

It's common for different cuts of movies to be shown in different parts of the country and different in other countries.

I read that the scene where the German strong man was cut from Germany and Sweden.

The ending meant to me that the ark was lost again because it was the identification code that was also burned off of it. That's why no one knows where the ark is to this day.

I first saw the movie when it came out and I lived in the midwest and saw it several times since then on TV and rented in various formats and the ending was always there until the very last time I saw it on TV a few weeks ago and that's why I searched for it because the ending was missing.

I'm not sure what symbol was on the box but I remember it being an eagle and it could have been a US eagle or a Nazi eagle. Somebody could buy the australian version on ebay and see if it's there. Maybe I will, but people who weren't alive to see the original release and immediate subsequent releases on primetime TV shouldn't have much to say about this since they are too young and didn't actually see it themselves. I suspect that most of the people on this thread are too young to have seen the original release.

But anyway, movies are edited and re-edited ALL THE TIME... Just try to find an original release of star wars. You can't. I also remember the ending of star wars being very different in the way the death star exploded. I'm sure they had different explosions and finally settled on one and the other was just thrown in the trash somewhere before the film was finalized and stored for posterity or dups were made. This stuff happens all the time.

TheFirebird1

yeppp said:
I registered just to tell everyone that I clearly remember the words and symbol being burned off the box after it was put in the warehouse...I'm not sure what symbol was on the box but I remember it being an eagle and it could have been a US eagle or a Nazi eagle. Somebody could buy the Australian version on eBay and see if it's there. Maybe I will, but people who weren't alive to see the original release and immediate subsequent releases on prime-time TV shouldn't have much to say about this since they are too young and didn't actually see it themselves. I suspect that most of the people on this thread are too young to have seen the original release.
Hi, yeppp! Welcome to the Raven, it's good to see some new faces around here.
I want to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to doubt the validity of what you thought you saw, but there are problems with everyone's recollection of this certain scene. First off, there was no symbol on the U.S. crate besides the numbers and writing. The eagle you're remembering was a Nazi one, and it was burned much earlier in the film. Secondly, the supposed "US crate burning" isn't present in the finalized script. Even if it was an inserted scene after the fact, calls for an effect of that nature aren't listed in production logs. Furthermore, recollections of this scene vary from person to person. Some say it was a post-credits scene, others say it was during the movie. If you don't mind me asking, when did you see the scene in the film?
And P.S., the whole thing about the Aussie DVD is bogus, at least to my knowledge. A friend who had it couldn't recall any scene of that nature when I asked him.
yeppp said:
But anyway, movies are edited and re-edited ALL THE TIME... Just try to find an original release of star wars. You can't. I also remember the ending of star wars being very different in the way the death star exploded. I'm sure they had different explosions and finally settled on one and the other was just thrown in the trash somewhere before the film was finalized and stored for posterity or dups were made. This stuff happens all the time.
You actually can find the original Star Wars saga on DVD (a despecialized version) albeit presented in a very minuscule screen, as well as the old VHS tapes. As for different Death Star explosions, I can't help you there, but all the cuts I've seen (whether Special Edition/VHS/Despecialized DVDs) appear to be the same explosion.

Randy_Flagg

Oh wow, I remember this scene from the theatrical release, and was also surprised it wasn't on the home releases (at least not in the U.S.) Yes, in a post-credit scene, the ark burned a hole through the U.S. military crate. Then a gopher stuck his head out of the hole and said, "Th-th-th-that's all folks! See you in part 4!" The Looney Tunes theme played, iris out, and the movie ended. At the time, it seemed so random, but then when I saw KOTCS, it made sense. Hopefully they'll add it back to future home releases.

Ender

Now I kinda wanna see the Gopher do a painstakingly choreographed dance atop the crate while the camera spins around it.