Whats the furthest youve been from home, what`s the most Indy thing you`ve done?

Le Saboteur

dr.jones1986 said:
I would imagine you had to make multiple connections each way just to get there from SF...

You'd be surprised. Very few airlines actually fly to Madagascar, and most of them offer multiple connections. I forget which airline it was, but one had stops in NYC, Germany, somewhere else then Addis Ababa and eventually Madagascar. As it stands, Turkish Airlines flies direct to Istanbul (not Constantinople) and then direct to Antananarivo. Each leg was about 12-hours.

If anybody is planning a trip to Africa, I would suggest that they seriously consider Turkish Airlines. They appear to hit every major African city and country by extension. Spend any amount of time in Ataturk International Airport and you'll get a chance to observe the length and breadth if the Muslim World.

The airport in Antananarivo is so small that there's no room to park the jets overnight. They disembark before returning to Mauritius and overnighting there.

Furthest I've ever been from home (Austin, TX). Taipei, Taiwan or Moree, NSW, Australia. Not sure which is further. Most Indy thing - nothing related to archeology but my dad and I escaped a police riot in New York, eventually ducking into a subway and catching a train. Meeting my girlfriend in Australia and traveling with her felt Indy to me.

Drones33

Austria

Just spent a couple of weeks adventuring in the Austrian Alps
austria_1_by_00177840-dbfnwr2.jpg

austria_3_by_00177840-dbfnwrb.jpg

"We walk from here..."

Nosirrah

2-part answer to 2-part question

(a) 500 AD, give or take a century;
(b) Quit my tenure-track faculty position at the university and hit the road for a year.
But I'm still looking to push both a bit more.

indytim

Probably the most Indy thing I've ever done is explore The Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt. I shuffled into the middle of that ancient wonder down a tiny access shaft packed full of other tourists. The tunnel was a steady decent which you had to bend over to fit in to. The tourists coming out were shoulder-to-shoulder with you shuffling in the opposite direction. I figure it was maybe 5 feet wide by 5 feet tall, if that. The girl in front of me had a full-blown panic attack! She had to be turned around and sent back out!

Anyway, I ventured on into a small chamber that was empty but for a sarcophagus roughly hewn from stone. If I was in charge I would have least employed a jobbing actor to dress up as a Mummy and chase feckless tourists around for some amusing hijinks :D

216959_5402514457_2451_n.jpg

The Sphinx is much smaller than you would expect. About the size of a regular bus. Before seeing it in person I had imagined it being far bigger. One odd thing about the pyramids and the Sphinx's location is that you imagine them being out in the middle of the Sahara desert somewhere but if you spin around 180 degrees there's a huge town right on their doorstep. You can actually see a Pizza Hut restaurant from the Great Pyramid's base which spoils the magic and grandeur of it all somewhat!

217043_5402519457_2827_n.jpg

Possibly the most impressive thing I saw was Cairo's main museum. As soon as you walk into the Great Hall it's as if you've walked into the Well of Souls. The items and relics of Egypt's past are an amazing sight to behold first hand. The 2nd great-grandfather of the husband of my 64th great-aunt was Ptolemy I Soter, Saviour of Egypt, 1st Pharaoh of Ptolemaic Dynasty so it was kind of like checking out the old family heirlooms (y) I know that must sound ridiculous but I'm a direct descendant of the House of Plantagenet (Richard The Lionheart, King of England was my 24th Great Uncle) and my family tree is traceable quite the ways back as a result :hat:

John Bechet

I've travelled around a lot countries in Asia, Africa and Europe. The only Indy-ish thing I did a lot of was walking around ancient monuments (For one example, Sri Lanka was good for that).

I went white water rafting a couple of times on the Nile in Zimbabwe, which is probably as close to Indy action as I got. And I took a ride in a microlight which is close to being in an old plane in that you are not 'inside'.

But it was more in small, internal ways that I thought of Indy on my travels:

I was walking around the city of Lvov in Ukraine with a few other guys. There was snow and ice on the ground and we had to be careful going down some outdoor stairs. After watching them begin their slow and wobbly progress, I thought to overcome the problem by sliding down the handrail at the side and one of the guys said "There's a man with a sense of adventure." I was secretly pleased with this thoroughly undeserved comment. That was part of my childhood personality still alive in the adult me.

Another example of that is while I was exploring the Great Zimbabwe Monument, I squeezed through a narrow gap between rough stone walls and accidentally scraped the case of my Swiss Army knife, worn on my belt. It made a scratch mark on the leather that I still treasure, in a childlike way, as a souvenir of my 'adventure'.

John Bechet

indytim said:
The 2nd great-grandfather of the husband of my 64th great-aunt was Ptolemy I Soter, Saviour of Egypt, 1st Pharaoh of Ptolemaic Dynasty so it was kind of like checking out the old family heirlooms (y) I know that must sound ridiculous but I'm a direct descendant of the House of Plantagenet (Richard The Lionheart, King of England was my 24th Great Uncle) and my family tree is traceable quite the ways back as a result :hat:

Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line? Was it a close relative of yours whose DNA was used to confirm the remains of Richard III?

Sean Connery played your ancestor! :gun:

Nosirrah

John Bechet said:
Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line

He could be a Plantagenet on his daddy's side, and a Ptolemy on his mummy's.

indytim

John Bechet said:
Your ancestry is very cool. At what time, and how, did the Plantagenets cross with the ancient Egyptian line? Was it a close relative of yours whose DNA was used to confirm the remains of Richard III?

If you discover that there is European royalty on your family tree then you're pretty much related to every historical head of state in the Western hemisphere that's ever existed. Generations of inbreeding was carried out to ensure the bloodlines remained 'noble'. Therefore, if you're related to one you're most likely related to them all (as my family tree as often proven).

The average English person's DNA (which I am) is roughly 60% British. Mine is over 90% suggesting my genetic heritage is rather localised. I would have to check on if it is a relative of mine whose DNA was tested to confirm the remains of Richard III although on my family tree he appears as my 6th cousin 17x removed.

John Bechet

I just remembered that during my trip camping across Africa, I lived a scene right out of Temple of Doom:

One of the women in our group suddenly jumped off her stool screaming that there was a huge bug on her. She ran up and down screaming until it was knocked off her long skirt and someone (unfortunately) clubbed it to death.

She was a regular person who momentarily turned into Willie Scott. I handed her my bottle of whiskey and she took a swig, turning, I guess, briefly into Marion.

Demi-Lune

"Whats the furthest youve been from home, what's the most Indy thing you've done?"

Definitely summer abroad in Egypt. The university was in Cairo, but on the weekends we'd take trips all over the country. That included Alexandria up north, going camping in the western desert (my God so many fennecs), going to climb Mount Sinai and then visit St. Catherine's monastery at its foot, and taking the train south to see various ancient Egyptian monuments plus the Aswan Dam.

Technically, it might be more "the most The Mummy thing I've ever done" than "the most Indy thing I've ever done," but close enough for government work.

Billy Ray

Farthest I've been (from Texas) is Afghanistan but, having grown up a military brat and serving myself, I have been all over the world. UK, Germany, France, Belgium, S. Korea, Qatar, Afghanistan and many points in between.

The most Indy thing I have done is nearly crap myself every time I've seen a snake LOL. Seriously, I have a terrible phobia of snakes, no matter the type or how large or small they are. I think that's one of the reasons Indy really resonated with me growing up...and still does.

johnfrancis

Furthest from home?

Dunno. Germany, Southern Spain maybe. Never thought about it.

Most Indy thing I ever did?

Threatened to beat the crap out of a bunch of armed Gendarmes in France for manhandling me.

Uh...maybe faced down a footsoldier who had a shotgun after a kill order was issued on me and then sent the whole feckin' army running for the hills. ( Good story )

Beat the crap out of two cops for assaulting me.

Threatened with a Police Special. "How do you like having a gun stuck in ye?"
"Can I hold it?" I replied.

Bribing Customs Officials. ( Dunno if Indy would do that but I imagine so in a pinch )

Had my sports bagged nicked once and jumped across the front of a moving truck to retrieve it then got annoyed the driver was annoying me with being freaked out.

My favourite though:

Beat the crap out of five men to save my 'worst enemy' from a beating just because I knew it would stick in his craw.

Loads more...

But the best thing?

No one here will believe me even though its all true. lol

00Kevin

Indyfan
Further: Germany, but I'm about to go to Qatar for the World Cup :)

Most Indy thing: COSI (Columbus Ohio Science Institute) had an Indiana Jones inspired exhibit called Adventure. There was a closing doors puzzle game which i guess was complicated to solve but for one second the door were all opened and I dashed through before they closed. and the raiders march was playing in my head :)

00Kevin

Indyfan
Furthest from home?

Dunno. Germany, Southern Spain maybe. Never thought about it.

Most Indy thing I ever did?

Threatened to beat the crap out of a bunch of armed Gendarmes in France for manhandling me.

Uh...maybe faced down a footsoldier who had a shotgun after a kill order was issued on me and then sent the whole feckin' army running for the hills. ( Good story )

Beat the crap out of two cops for assaulting me.

Threatened with a Police Special. "How do you like having a gun stuck in ye?"
"Can I hold it?" I replied.

Bribing Customs Officials. ( Dunno if Indy would do that but I imagine so in a pinch )

Had my sports bagged nicked once and jumped across the front of a moving truck to retrieve it then got annoyed the driver was annoying me with being freaked out.

My favourite though:

Beat the crap out of five men to save my 'worst enemy' from a beating just because I knew it would stick in his craw.

Loads more...

But the best thing?

No one here will believe me even though its all true. lol
badass!

emtiem

I did do just do a week's camping in Kakadu, Northern Territory Australia, which involved lots of hopping over boulders and seeing ancient art sites in incredible, beautiful wilderness. And having to wear a wide-brimmed hat and hiking gear most of the time because of the sun!

Early 2020, the month before COVID hit, we visited the Mayan pyramids of El Mirador and Tikal in Guatemala. Two fun facts regarding Tikal: Indy and Sophia visit this site in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Also, some scenes of Episode IV: A New Hope were shot there!

propstar

I made dozens of Indy related trips around the world but some places are still on my bucket list. One really nice experience was the 3-day festival in Guadix to celebrate the 30th anniversary of shooting last Crusade at the Guadix station.

johnfrancis

Thanks. I dunno why I wrote that post tbh.

It's pretty embarrassing reading back on it.

Guess I was just having fun.

Still most of them shouldn't have overstepped the bounds of the law anymore than that childish Nazi should've slapped Indy when he was tied up in TLC.

I remember another time being handcuffed in a chair in a police office and the copper started hitting me across the legs with a heavier than usual baton.

I asked if he was overcompensating for his lack of a manhood with a large stick?

He was humiliated so he tapped on the cell door on the hour every hour threatening to beat the crap out of me.

I told him to feck off and come back when he grew up.

Huh...I just remembered the gendarmes during that other incident I mentioned spent the rest of the night making sure to shine the lights into me cab at regular intervals just to keep me awake for not being intimidated by them so I told feck.off and grow up too.

In my experience it doesn't matter what language they speak. The petty one's are as predictable as hell.

Indy tied up with Jones snr reminded me of that one.