Topps Heritage: Indiana Jones Trading Card Set

Deckard

GeckoArt said:
I had plans to but ended up literally going frame-by-frame through 'Raiders' instead with a total of 120+ full-color cards like above!

There's still a handful of sketches I never got to realize 'on card' - just ran out of time

Sort of a shame, I would love to have seen what you could have done w/ ToD especially, however Im sure there will be alot of very cool sketches in this set so it's all good. I can't wait to see the South America and Raven Bar ones.

Arab Swordsman

If anyone is looking for just the base set of Heritage cards there are some pretty good auctions up on Ebay for them (presale of course.) I bid on a set that was 9.95 total with free shipping. I want to save my money for the action figures so I figured I would just get a base set of the cards instead of buying a box and trying to get 1 or 2 inserts.

QBComics

GeckoArt said:
I had plans to but ended up literally going frame-by-frame through 'Raiders' instead with a total of 120+ full-color cards like above!

Aww that stinks. I was hoping to see a cartoony Mola Ram! I actually have been trying to see all your cards and missed the ones you post here! Need to check here more often.

deckard24

Billy Ray said:
Man alive, Trevor's sketch cards are beautiful! First a fabulous headsculpt for the SS Indy and now these...what a talented guy.
Yeah they are probably the best of the Indy sketch cards I've seen, hands down!

Trevor if you read this, do you mind telling me what medium you used for the cards?

mfisher

no doubt those are my fvaorites I have seen thus far... I really like the card showing both Toht and Belloq ! Man I wish I could get ahold of one of those !

xVendetta17x

I have a feeling i'm going to be spending a lot of money on trading cards again
I haven't done this since the Pokemon phenomenon

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
Hey guys! Wow, I'm glad you like the cards! It was a lot of work but it was definitely fun!!! I hadn't had a good excuse to spend time on Indy drawings in a long time. I'm personally ecstatic about Adam Hughes' cards. That man is just too damn talented!

These cards were almost all done in watercolor and ink. Some of them were just drawn with pencil.

all the artists are getting six of their cards back to do with what they please. I will be auctioning my six off on ebay, so I'll let you guys know when they go up (we should get our cards back by April I'd guess)

Thanks again! glad you like some of them!
Trev

deckard24

Trevor G said:
Hey guys! Wow, I'm glad you like the cards! It was a lot of work but it was definitely fun!!! I hadn't had a good excuse to spend time on Indy drawings in a long time. I'm personally ecstatic about Adam Hughes' cards. That man is just too damn talented!

These cards were almost all done in watercolor and ink. Some of them were just drawn with pencil.

all the artists are getting six of their cards back to do with what they please. I will be auctioning my six off on ebay, so I'll let you guys know when they go up (we should get our cards back by April I'd guess)

Thanks again! glad you like some of them!
Trev
Trevor, your work definitely channels the Struzan vibe, do you use a similar method for creating your works ie. projecting an image onto a surface, tracing it, and then going to town with whatever medium you see fit? I'm really curious as to the process you use, for creating these works of art.

Great job!

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
Hey Deckard, Yep, you got it! Project/then render. Drew is the best there is, for me, so when I was younger I used to use his exact methods to learn. Nowadays my focus is sculpture, so I've sort of become much more lax with my drawing/painting. I hardly ever do it in fact...but I think that's good...It was nice to leave it behind for a long while.

So instead of airbrushing and using colored pencils, I just use watercolors and inks for the color stuff... At this size it gives you more control. A good projection will lead you to nailing a likeness, (just look at that new Hugh Fleming comic cover art...DANG that Indy looks good) but these were just loose projections so that I could knock out 50 of them.

For likeness sculpture the goal is to capture a likeness as perfectly as you can, so I tend to prefer seeing people stylize the characters more in this kind of drawing (and Adam Hughes has done is to perfection for me) I would love to be able to do THAT! :D

thanks for the comments and questions!
Trev

deckard24

Trevor G said:
Hey Deckard, Yep, you got it! Project/then render. Drew is the best there is, for me, so when I was younger I used to use his exact methods to learn. Nowadays my focus is sculpture, so I've sort of become much more lax with my drawing/painting. I hardly ever do it in fact...but I think that's good...It was nice to leave it behind for a long while.

So instead of airbrushing and using colored pencils, I just use watercolors and inks for the color stuff... At this size it gives you more control. A good projection will lead you to nailing a likeness, (just look at that new Hugh Fleming comic cover art...DANG that Indy looks good) but these were just loose projections so that I could knock out 50 of them.

For likeness sculpture the goal is to capture a likeness as perfectly as you can, so I tend to prefer seeing people stylize the characters more in this kind of drawing (and Adam Hughes has done is to perfection for me) I would love to be able to do THAT! :D

Trev
Thanks for the insight man! Keep up the great work!:hat:

deckard24

Trevor G said:

Trev
Trevor, I just thought of a few more questions I meant to ask you regarding the work you do: what kind of projector do you use, what brands of paper and types of paint, and lastly what do you use for your initial sculpts for Sideshow (sculpey)?

Deckard24

Katarn07

Why is your talent wasted on trading cards? I'm not a card guy so won't waste my time and money because with my luck, I won't get these. Plus I don't feel they display well.

As negative as I sound here, I don't mean to be. Your work is awesome and very inspiring. I wish I were as talented!

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
Hey again! happy to oblige and help!

projector- These can get pretty expensive. My brother and I share use of a super prism artograph projector. fantastic machine for this stuff! the lightbulbs, however, are an incredibly high wattage, and they cost about 5 dollars a piece to replace. (there are two in the projector) If you would prefer it to be more loose I would suggest getting the artograph tracer. I THINK it's about $60 new though...it's perfect for quick projections, and...probably all you need, really, unless you're doing this professionally or what not.

It has been some time since I've drawn on papers, but I personally love colored paper from Canson. Strathmore makes a great colored paper too. both come in a variety of colors and depending on what you're preference is, they both have different texture. The strahmore stuff is reallly smooth on one side, but still has "tooth" so your pencils and what not will go on nice. the Canson is a bit more rough, but a little thinner too.

I also love this paper called stonehenge. it's for colored pencil drawing, but it can handle acrylic and watercolor and what not. it's just a cool paper, and a heavier stock than some. kind of between bristol board and regular drawing paper. (all of these papers can be purchased at www.dickblick.com)

The watercolors I'm liking are derwent's watercolor pencils. you can draw with them and paint with them. The colors are fairly varied and they are just FUN. Prismacolor makes good ones too. They also make great regular colored pencils, which I'd imagine you're familiar with. They are some of the best!

Hope that helps!

With Sculptures, I got hooked on wax. Some friends that work in the field got me onto it, and I hardly use anything else now. All of my work is very small, so I need crisp detail and smooth finishes. Wax isn't for everyone though. I know a lot of GREAT sculptors in this field that make masterpieces in super sculpey, which is readily available to anyone and easy to learn. Super Sculpey comes in soft and hard grades. you can manipulate it by hand and with small dental tools, and smooth it out with light washes of turpenoid. After you bake it, you can use various sanding sponges to get a really nice finish to your work.

if you want to check out wax, I can give you some tips there too. Here's probably my best portrait in wax that I did for Sideshow's Star Wars figures. Wax is great because you can handle it in your hands easily and never mess up any of the details, since it's very hard.

obi_sculpt_01.jpg

obi_sculpt_02.jpg

obi_sculpt_03.jpg

I hope some of this makes sense! I can clear up anything that doesn't. :) thanks and I hope you have a lot of fun exploring! always remember to go with what feels right, because there is NO wrong way...it's all about preference and the final result, and there are many ways to get there.
Trev