Trilogy on Blu-Ray

AlivePoet

bennihana123 said:
Does anyone know when/if the original three films will be released on Blu-Ray?

I got a Blu-Ray player last Christmas and I'm trying to build up my collection.

Amazon has it listed but it says its not available yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Indiana-Jones-Complete-Collection/dp/B000NQRE9Q

Darn, I thought you were making an announcement. Not that it really matters for me, since I don't and won't have blu-ray for a very long time to come.

Then again, some new extra features posted on YouTube would be nice...

Darth Vile

Morning Bell

It was rumored to be coming out this year but apparently they've pushed it back to 2010 at the earliest. If Indy V becomes a reality they may wait and find some way to tie the two releases together.

IndyFan89

UIMJ

IndyFan89 said:
Why has they're been no talk, not even a whisper about the original trilogy on Blu-ray. is there something I'm missing? They released Ghostbusters, Terminator 2, and countless other classic movies on the hd platform but not Indy or Star Wars.

Get with it Lucasfilm! :mad:

EDIT:

Found this on Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Indiana-Jones-Trilogy-Blu-ray/3956/

http://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quic...diana+jones&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0

Great thread Indy Fan. I'd pretty much bet that Lucas will wait to release the original trilogy on BluRay proportionately as long as he did with his DVD releases.

I will say though, that with the right calibration and T.V., the original series looks great upscaled in 1080P! As for the report in the link.... ehhhh.. I take it with a grain of salt. I haven't seen a source or anything credible to back that announcement up (although I hope it's true).

On the other hand, here's a thought to add fuel to the fire a bit:

I've read recently that projections show thousands of 3-D ready T.V.s in homes by 2011 based on Avatar's great use of the format in theaters. Let's say that this is shared speculation by movie houses.

If that's the case, then more studios will be rushing their material out on Blu Ray while they believe the format is still viable in order to make a few bucks before gearing up to convert titles to high def 3-D.

Just food for thought.

The Drifter

nitzsche said:
Would matte paintings need to be redone digitally?

Please, no! I love the matte paintings in these films. I wish so much that they would still use this art form in modern film-making.
Maybe they do in some movies?

UIMJ

ResidentAlien said:
Why? They were PHOTOGRAPHED. A 35mm image is higher resolution than HD.

Maybe he means for depth of picture and not on screen resolution...
Still, the original matte paintings have a sort of charm about them that I wouldn't want to see permanantly replaced.

IndyFan89

Ghostbusters looks and sounds fabulous on Blu-Ray and they didn't change a thing about the SFX. Star Wars and/or Indy wold blow you away on Blu-Ray!

I'm only newly converted, and ounce I knew the difference I'll never go back. (y)

9064b376e0.jpg

tambourineman

UIMJ said:
Maybe he means for depth of picture and not on screen resolution...
Still, the original matte paintings have a sort of charm about them that I wouldn't want to see permanantly replaced.

Blu Ray still doesnt come close in quality to what was shown in cinemas, so any "flaws" that Blu Ray might show up in things like the matte paintings were there in the cinema anyway.

IndyFan89

tambourineman said:
Blu Ray still doesnt come close in quality to what was shown in cinemas, so any "flaws" that Blu Ray might show up in things like the matte paintings were there in the cinema anyway.

Good point.

Although some cameras come close none has yet capture the quality or look and feel to film. One day maybe.

tambourineman said:

Exactly. Thank you, finally someone gets it.

It irritates the hell out of me when people come out of the theater saying **** like "that was great-- can't wait to see it on Blu Ray!" Or when I hear "are older films that weren't shot on HD worth buying on Blu Ray?"

Ugggh. Blu Ray is a compressed image. Anything shot on film can be put on Blu Ray and Blu Ray will still not look as good as the film originally did.

Maybe it's the marketing blitz around Blu Ray that leave people brainwashed and really incapable of comprehending this. But it's a huge irritation for me.

tambourineman

Exactly. Blu Ray is about moving one small step closer to the theatrical film (the 'real' version of any movie), it isnt about improving anything or changing anything.

Im a regular on Bond boards and some people dont seem to comprehend the fact that the 60's movies can work on Blu Ray. They think that seeing old movies in HD is somehow pointless compared to new movies (despite them all using the same film and all having the same advantage in HD).

Ive also actually heard complaint that Blu Ray has made some old Bond movies "too clear" and things look fake compared to their blurry old VHS tapes... Despite the fact that the Blu Ray viewers are seeing nowhere near thew detail that people saw when seeing the movies at the cinema all those years ago.

tambourineman said:
Exactly. Blu Ray is about moving one small step closer to the theatrical film (the 'real' version of any movie), it isnt about improving anything or changing anything.

Im a regular on Bond boards and some people dont seem to comprehend the fact that the 60's movies can work on Blu Ray. They think that seeing old movies in HD is somehow pointless compared to new movies (despite them all using the same film and all having the same advantage in HD).

Ive also actually heard complaint that Blu Ray has made some old Bond movies "too clear" and things look fake compared to their blurry old VHS tapes... Despite the fact that the Blu Ray viewers are seeing nowhere near thew detail that people saw when seeing the movies at the cinema all those years ago.

Yeah, that's one I especially don't understand. Again I think that comes down to marketing blitz though. The propaganda nonsense that Blu-Ray is the clearest image you will ever see I think fuels that delusion that it will make a film "too clear." I mean.... it's ludicrous and really makes no sense, but I can't think of how else to explain it.

DocWhiskey

I still have no problem with DVDs. I don't need to super crisp and clear picture so I could see the pores on everyones' faces. I'm fine with what I have. Nothing will beat actually seeing the movie in the cinema.

Last edited: