Merry Julian Christmas!

Indy's brother

Indy~Annie said:
im very curious.

what are you talking about??? :)

I was wondering, too. So I looked it up:
Definition: Ukrainians and many others from the Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Christmas on January 7, On Christmas Eve, January 6 a lighted candle is placed in the window to guide travellers, in memory of Mary and Joseph's journey.

The holiday begins with the first star on the horizon.

Many Orthodox Christians have 40 days of partial fasting before their Christmas.
Source:http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/glossary/defjulchris.htm

And a little further explantion here:
The Julian calendar, a reform of the Roman calendar, was introduced by Julius Caesar in 46 BC, and came into force in 45 BC (709 ab urbe condita). It was chosen after consultation with the astronomer Sosigenes of Alexandria and was probably designed to approximate the tropical year, known at least since Hipparchus. It has a regular year of 365 days divided into 12 months, and a leap day is added to February every four years. Hence the Julian year is on average 365.25 days long.
The Julian calendar remained in use into the 20th century in some countries as a national calendar, but it has generally been replaced by the modern Gregorian calendar. It is still used by the Berber people of North Africa, on Mount Athos, and by many national Orthodox churches. Orthodox Churches no longer using the Julian calendar typically use the Revised Julian calendar rather than the Gregorian calendar.
The notation "Old Style" (OS) is sometimes used to indicate a date in the Julian calendar, as opposed to "New Style" (NS), which either represents the Julian date with the start of the year as 1 January or a full mapping onto the Gregorian calendar. This notation is especially used in reference to dates from czarist Russia (the country did not switch to the Gregorian calendar until 1918).
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

Goodsport

S Rozhdestvom Hristovim!
happysanta.gif

Merry Julian Christmas today, everyone!
cheerssanta.gif

-G

Finn

Staff member
Threads merged

...for the 8th time in eight years.

Oh well. One of 'em holiday traditions, I guess.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
...for the 8th time in eight years.

Oh well. One of 'em holiday traditions, I guess.

Never let it be said that you're not worth every penny, Finn.

I don't do a lot with the Gregorian Christmas, and the Julian one would have passed me by, if it weren't for... The Raven. :)