General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Skipper

A_True_Believer said:
Oh HELL no. He did NOT just say that he wants Mutt to be the lead character if they make Indy 5.

Crap. Crap crap crap crap CRAP!!!!

Dammit, George, you're doing it again. Your incessant meddling is going to be the end of us all.

Create a new franchise with just Mutt. Give him a TV series. A cartoon series. ANYTHING. But for the love of God don't put him in the lead and call it "Indy 5". Just don't.
Well, it obviously wouldn't be called "Indy 5." It would be called "Mutt Williams and the...." And it might be lame, but if you don't like it, then don't see it.

Arab Swordsman

I don't agree with Agent Spalko that this new movie is going to be disappointing but I do agree totally that George Lucus must be stopped right now. I don't even know what to write about this article. I had a huge rant typed out and just deleted it. I really hope Harrison and Spielberg maintain the integrity of the movies and don't allow this to happen. The movies are called Indiana Jones, not Mutt Williams and allowing the main character to be secondary like that is a slap in the face of the last three films and this new one.

Somebody give me a machete and a gun and I will drive to Skywalker Ranch right now and take out Lucas.

"They told me... that you have gone... totally insane."

MattJones

tnswman said:
This is from Fox news.

"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."

As I was reading that I couldn't help but feel like John Locke just pulled a gun on me demanding that Hurley stays with him.

Sawyer: "Have you lost your mind?"

For more information on my response to this outrage, please see LOST S4E9 "The Shape of Things to Come."

Skipper

A_True_Believer said:
If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.
But if it was called "Mutt Williams and the...." , wouldn't that be Mutt's "own series"?

So basically what's gotten you so upset is the idea that Indy might appear in the movie? Why would that be a bad thing? I thought you like Indiana Jones.

drwynn

eroc said:
I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!

Yes...could be. But, at least the move to bring Connery in as Indy's father had a very intrinsic/instinctive logic to it regarding the whole origin of Indiana Jones. Spielberg himself said it only made sense for the original James Bond to portray Indy's father...since Spielberg wanting to do a Bond film was the entire motivation for creating/filming the first Indiana Jones picture.

I don't think that same kind of "balance" can be said for the decision behind Shia being in the latest or further installments...aside from the fact that Spielberg adores Shia and LaBeouf is the new "It" man in Hollywood.

And...I'm as big a fan of Lucas as most aspiring actors and filmmakers or even general film fans. I have great respect for him and what he's done...but, I swear...sometimes I think that he or someone close to him scours the Internet searching for the things fanboys hate the most...and then he simply goes out and does those things just to spite them and show that he has...

"UNLIMITED...POWER!!!!!"

Sorry...bad Emperor Palpatine reference!

gallandro

Seriously, some people on this board need to get a life. This is nothing new, there were already rumblings that Shia would take over the mantle from Indy after this adventure. If you don't want to watch it then don't go... jeez.

It's not like this isn't the first time this has happened with an iconic film character. Republic Picture's, Son of Zorro (1947), continues the adventures of Zorro with one of Don Diego's descendants. Two years later Zorro's grandson takes over the whip and black mask in Ghost of Zorro.

As for the cries that the Star Wars Prequels show Lucas has lost his mind.... WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Sorry they weren't the prequels you wanted but the success of the films both domestically and internationally show that the whining, rants of a small but very vocal minority were ignored by the general public.

Yancy

oki9Sedo

The more I think of it, the more I can also see it working. New era, with a new young hero, with Indiana Jones present (not "reduced") as a paternal, guiding force for our new hero.....why not?

Seriously, lets forget Lucas, who everyone loves to hate and chooses to berate every time he opens his mouth, said this. Why not?

This would not be like forgetting or replacing Indiana Jones like he's obsolete. He'll always be there and be given all the respect he deserves. But in life time moves on, and new heroes come along.

H_Donovan

The Man said:
That's not Indiana Jones 5. That Mutt Williams 1.5. Ford should flat-out refuse such a demotion.

I agree. I would not like seeing this series move towards a replacement. Indiana Jones is Indiana Jones. He is the lead or nothing else.

I hope Ford talks Lucas out of this. Even if Indy V were to have Ford as the lead actor, I'm not sure I want it then.

drwynn

Shia LaBeouf as the lead and Indy as HIS sidekick? I saw this idea as a possible eventual reality...especially given the marketing trend for the new film; Shia's/Mutt's image seemingly everywhere that Indy's is. Do we really need to see Mutt's face right next to Indy's on the majority of marketing stuff? I mean...I can see why they're doing it (especially if Mutt truly does end up turning out to be Indy's film)...but, people have been waiting 19 years for a new Indy film. Shouldn't the focus be on just Indy? That's the character that's realy going to draw people into the theater...not Mutt Williams-Jones-Ravenwood.

Someone very close to me made a great observation yesterday while we were shopping for Indy-themed party supplies. She was sifting through the Indy plates, cups, napkins, and tablecloths...stacking them up in the cart, when she turned to me and asked;

"Isn't the new movie called 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'?"

I replied, "Yeah, why?"

She answered, "Because...the way they're promoting the film makes me feel like it should be called, 'Mutt Williams and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'."

That really sort of sums it up for me. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying I'm upset about the whole marketing drive...I just don't entirely understand it.

nitzsche

Anyone who did not see Shia being groomed for his own adventure series is totally oblivious and ignorant.

Of course it's not going to be called Indiana Jones V, because Shia's character is not Indy.

Skipper

Agent Spalko said:
This is Indiana F'n Jones and only Harrison is allowed to wear the fedora. :whip: :whip: :whip:
Well, what about Sean Patrick Flannery? And what about the guy what gave the fedora to Indy in "The Last Crusade"?

A_True_Believer

Skipper said:
But if it was called "Mutt Williams and the...." , wouldn't that be Mutt's "own series"?

So basically what's gotten you so upset is the idea that Indy might appear in the movie? Why would that be a bad thing? I thought you like Indiana Jones.

Of course I like Indiana Jones, and I would definitely go see a Mutt Williams movie, but to see such an iconic character play second fiddle just doesn't sit right with me. I'd rather them make a Mutt movie completely without Indy.

This is turnng into a rather interesting debate. I like this. :)

nitzsche

Agent Spalko said:
I don't care, Shia ain't the star of Indiana Jones.

That's why he is not Indiana Jones. He's a different character. Isn't that a fascinating concept? He's a different person, so he has a different name. Ingenious!