The Best Thing About the Bourne Films . . .

Henry Jones VII

I'm a big fan of these movies (own them on blu-ray). Love the character with all it's flaws and capacities.

Maybe in few aspects it's actually an action movie character we the audience can relate to better than most action "heroes".

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
. . . .is Moby's Extreme Ways.

And as for the Moby? I'm more of an Eminem kinda guy. . .

Ditto.

Now, I just pulled a netflix and watched the last three in succession. 3 By far held the pace the best, in my opinion. Legacy suffered from editing and pacing issues, but only in compression to the rest of the series, not certainly in relation to the films of current cinema. Based on the discussion in THIS thread I still see an effort to develop character, which (though more understandably developed better in the books) is a real treat over the course of four films.

Well I don't really mean that . . . after all there's Joan Allen, Julia Stiles actually acts by the third film (plus she has a great pout and neat streaky hair) . . .

I love Joan Allen. That aside, I agree with your perspective on how the films develop.

oki9Sedo said:
I understand that Paul Greengrass uses shaky cameras and fast cutting to give the audience a huge adrenaline rush, and it?s very exciting, but I do like to be able to actually see the moves and understand the geography and that?s why I prefer Spielberg's and Cameron's direction styles.

Greengrass is now on my radar. But damnit...stabilize that camera a little please.

Joe Brody

Just finally got around to watching 2016's "Jason Bourne."

Watchable but glad I waited until it hit HBO NOW.

Sad to see the Julia Stiles character superseded by an actress 10 years younger (but I get where the franchise is going) and Marshal gets a pass for Joan Allen's previous work.

The Athen's scene is interesting -- but overlong to the point that's it is laughable to think that the Greeks could muster that much molotov cocktail fueled rage.

Speaking of Athens, I've praised the globe hopping aspect of this franchise, but this time it all felt, very, very flat and irrelevant. Maybe it was just having the climax in Vegas. I'm surprised the film did $415M in the US.

JasonMa

Joe Brody said:
Speaking of Athens, I've praised the globe hopping aspect of this franchise, but this time it all felt, very, very flat and irrelevant. Maybe it was just having the climax in Vegas. I'm surprised the film did $415M in the US.
I know the Athens scenes were filmed in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, I don't know if that contributed to the flatness.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
damnit...stabilize that camera a little please.
Probably there's a fan-stabilized version somewhere. The Bourne Stability.

I'm skeptical of the CIA's hacking skillz depicted here, after the real FBI paid $1.3M to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone. Bourne's ongoing internal affairs investigation leads to a Blues Brothers sized demolition derby in Vegas. If only they could get over themselves and back to work. Maybe team up and rescue Jeremy Renner from somewhere before the actors turn 50.