Who would you like as Indiana Jones 5 composer?

Walecs

Of course, there's no doubt John Williams should do the soundtrack, he's made the score for every Indy movie, and his pieces are wonderful. He's my favourite movie composer of all time.

But, in case Williams, either for age or availability, can't be back for the soundtrack of Indy Jones 5, who would you like to have?

I think Clint Bajakian would be perfect for the job.
Just listen to this medley of some pieces he has made for the Indiana Jones videogame "The Emperor's Tomb". I have never played the game, but the soundtrack is incredibly amazing, and sounds like something John Williams would write (it also has some nice Raiders March cues):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nh_OdNlPbA

Pale Horse

Staff member
A collaboration between Ennio Moricone and Michael Giacchino.

Time to reboot everything about the series.

Forbidden Eye

If there's anything as or more integral to the series than Harrison Ford its John Williams.

I want to see an Indiana Jones movie without Williams anymore than a Star Wars movie without Williams.

Spurlock

Well we all know Williams would totally do it, and is the only rightful heir the the IJ soundtrack throne, but without him, I'd need to go with the 2nd best in the business, Hans Zimmer.

Zimmer has done so many movies, he's basically the Spielberg of soundtracks. And they're always memorable, as well as unique.

Mickiana

What exactly are people suggesting? A change of composers is understood, but what about a change of the well recognised theme? Can Indiana Jones continue into a future with different themes really apart from what John Williams created? Is it wanted? Would it work? I find it hard to imagine something really new and different as the music and the man in the hat have been fused for over thirty years in my mind. But maybe newer and younger audiences will take up a reinvention? So many questions...

HenryJunior

I love Hans Zimmer but I don't think his style matches Indiana Jones. Gotta agree with PaleHorse, I think Michael Giacchino would fill in nicely. Another name I would throw out there is Alan Silvestri.

Spurlock

Mickiana said:
What exactly are people suggesting? A change of composers is understood, but what about a change of the well recognized theme? Can Indiana Jones continue into a future with different themes really apart from what John Williams created? Is it wanted? Would it work? I find it hard to imagine something really new and different as the music and the man in the hat have been fused for over thirty years in my mind. But maybe newer and younger audiences will take up a reinvention? So many questions...

The theme is equal to the hat or the bullwhip; it's important and irreplaceable. It's become part of the character, and is instantly recognizable. If you brought in a new theme, it'd kind of make the theme and character less iconic in my opinion.

Yes, Hans Zimmer make not be the same style, but he's still my top pick. Go listen to his Finale for the Lone Ranger and tell me you don't want to have an adventure afterwards. It was my favorite part of that movie (I actually really liked the whole movie though). Hans Zimmer is more of a fast paced action composer, but he also knows how to do those intriguing moments as well.

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
I love Hans Zimmer but I don't think his style matches Indiana Jones. Gotta agree with PaleHorse, I think Michael Giacchino would fill in nicely. Another name I would throw out there is Alan Silvestri.

I dunno, his Pirates of the Caribbean (sequel) scores have some tremendously heroic, adventure-y music in them. He could do it, I'm sure. He's not just pounding drums and electronic noises. And yes, I'm a Zimmer fan, so I'm biased here. :p

Other good choices would be the aforementioned Giacchino (Up, anyone? Star Trek, anyone?), James Newton Howard (his Kong score was thrilling), Danny Elfman (come on, you know he could give us something awesome), Ramin Djawadi (he did very good on Pacific Rim) and Randy Edelman (say what you will about The Mummy 3, but that was an awesome main theme).

Walecs

Spurlock said:
The theme is equal to the hat or the bullwhip; it's important and irreplaceable. It's become part of the character, and is instantly recognizable. If you brought in a new theme, it'd kind of make the theme and character less iconic in my opinion.

Yes, Hans Zimmer make not be the same style, but he's still my top pick. Go listen to his Finale for the Lone Ranger and tell me you don't want to have an adventure afterwards. It was my favorite part of that movie (I actually really liked the whole movie though). Hans Zimmer is more of a fast paced action composer, but he also knows how to do those intriguing moments as well.

Ah, you beat me! I was going to quote Finale from The Long Ranger too!

Udvarnoky

He's just speaking hopefully. He spoke similarly about Indy 4 on the 2003 DVDs. Althought at that particular stage, there may have been some real expectation behind the scenes that the film was about to be greenlit.