Indiana Jones Magazine!

Indy fan 235

Back in the day, the Lucasfilm Fanclub magazine was really good. Lots of good content, merchandise. I really liked it. Ever since it switched from publisher to publisher it seemed to get worse and worse.

Sorry to hear they canceled the magazine.

Icybro

Earlier in this thread I mentioned how I thought issue 5's blurb on Sophia Hapgood looked suspiciously similar to an article I had written for the Indy Wiki . . . Well, I got a special thanks in issue 6 because of those claims. :whip: You can read all about it here:

http://www.videorb.com/node/42

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Hey Congrats at getting the shout out in Indy Magazine!

It is nice to get acknowledged for doing something positive and contribuiting to a fanbase that is dedicated in keeping Indy alive.

It is a shame about the magazine, but I had a bad feeling its days were numbered. I am amazed with all the material out there that it fizzled so fast. Trust me, while they might have lifted your material from the Indy-wiki, I was constantly trying to offer them material and article ideas that fell on deaf ears in an effort to keep it going.

Oh well... hopefully the Star Wars Insider will have Indy news in print form in the future -- and you always have TheRaider.net to keep you up to date!

kongisking

Icybro said:
Earlier in this thread I mentioned how I thought issue 5's blurb on Sophia Hapgood looked suspiciously similar to an article I had written for the Indy Wiki . . . Well, I got a special thanks in issue 6 because of those claims. :whip: You can read all about it here:

Honestly, dude, you have taken this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too hostile. It isn't plagarism: It's simply using whatever info they can find. And how exactly do you expect them to credit you when you could, for all they know, just be some random unnamed guy on the Wiki? Hell, that passage could have been written by five different people, and Lucasfilm would have no way of knowing. Sheesh. Personally, if these guys had "stolen" material I had written about THEIR characters, I'd consider it a pretty ****ing big honor.

Maybe half the reason they cancelled the Mag was because of your openly accusatory statements. You might have spooked them into thinking that the Magazine was not being bought by fans in retaliation! If that is the case, thanks a lot, buddy. I actually LIKED this series...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Icybro

Kong, calm down. Everybody's upset they canned the magazine. The articles weren't always spectacular (those "Indy's Top Ten Chases/Fights/Funniest Moments" features stand out in my mind as particularly weak), but some were great: issue 5's behind-the-scenes look at the novels, for example; or the three-part series with those (previously unseen?) storyboards from Raiders. Perhaps most importantly, the magazine had unlimited potential: there are a ton of great ideas for features out there (ask Mitchell!), and it was exciting to see which ones they'd go for every couple of months.

There's no way a polite (if sternly worded) email from one over-excited superfan could have "spooked" them into ending the magazine. Heck, I never even threatened to cancel my subscription, never mind orchestrating some sort of fandom-wide boycott. (The lifted text was plagiarism, BTW.)

My guess is that either
  1. as Gobi-1 suggested, they were capitalizing on the hype surrounding the movie, and never intended the mag to go more than a year, or
  2. they were expecting Star Wars-level sales that never materialized. (That's almost certainly what killed the Hasbro line, right?) Around here every grocery store had it in stock; there are a fair number of fans out there, but not that many.

After all is said and done, it's amazing the content was so weak, and in some instances contradictory and plain wrong! Not as bad as George Beahm?s Indiana Jones: Off The Beaten Path.

:dead:

JimmyPSHayes

It is a a shame that the magazine is ending. I can only speak for my store, but we sold just as many copies of the Indy mag as we did Star Wars Insider.

Lao_Che

Icybro said:

Icybro said:
Surprised, I tried again at the Indiana Jones Wiki, but the response there was a simple word of congratulations—and a link to this discussion on Wookiepedia.

...No there wasn't.

Last edited:

Indy's Fist

It's no surprise to me that this would happen. Just as I knew the Hasbro toy line was doomed too, along with everything else Indy. Hell I hae to wait over 20 yeras just to get a really good CD of Temple of Doom. Star Wars keeps on going because A) It has a larger fan base B) SW fans spend like crazy C)SW is aimed more to kids than Indy. I mean who would rather buy a German soldier more than a Stormtooper?

Bottomline for me is that no matter how good the Indy magazine would have been it was doomed for a short life. That it lasted six issues is amazing in my book.

phantom train

Indy's Fist said:
It's no surprise to me that this would happen. Just as I knew the Hasbro toy line was doomed too, along with everything else Indy. Hell I hae to wait over 20 yeras just to get a really good CD of Temple of Doom. Star Wars keeps on going because A) It has a larger fan base B) SW fans spend like crazy C)SW is aimed more to kids than Indy. I mean who would rather buy a German soldier more than a Stormtooper?

Bottomline for me is that no matter how good the Indy magazine would have been it was doomed for a short life. That it lasted six issues is amazing in my book.

I agree 100%. I got the first IJ magazine last May (a companion to the film), and didn't think it was ever intended to last beyond one issue. The fact that it did last 6 issues is incredible.

As far as the magazine itself, the one issue I have was alright - it had some interesting info. on the KOTCS and the characters, but didn't really shed any new insights, and the articles were just alright (not great).

Goonie

Goonie said:
What's the Canadian price of issue #6?:confused: Is it $6.99 or $9.99?

Nevermind about this question. I picked it up today. $6.99 in Canada :hat: . I was hoping they would do a special 100-page $10 issue for the last one, but sadly no.:(

Stoo

I'm not going to make it back to Canada before Easter and it's highly doubtful that issue #6 will still be on the shelves.:mad:
Is there anyone willing to pick one up for me? Please! A hand$ome reward awaits...:D

DocWhiskey

^The only place I've seen IJ Magazine is Borders, Waldenbooks, and Blockbuster. I doubt it would be at a newsstand. Maybe though.

Stoo said:
I'm not going to make it back to Canada before Easter and it's highly doubtful that issue #6 will still be on the shelves.:mad:
Is there anyone willing to pick one up for me? Please! A hand$ome reward awaits...:D

I have extras if you can't find one when you get back. Drop me a line if you can't find it in stores ....

Les