Indy 5 news 2017

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
I still think they missed a big opportunity to do another one in the 90's. Ford was still young enough and it would have been cool to see one set in the early 1940's, with Indy taking on the Imperial Japanese. I'm not opposed to Indy being set in the 60's but it does feel a little weird pushing the character that far into the future.

Frankly, they wrote themselves into a corner with Last Crusade. All of the repeated elements from Raiders imposed the symmetry of a trilogy on the three films that then existed. The Young Indy sequence felt like explaining where the character came from in their last chance to do so, and riding off into the sunset offered an implied end to the character's story.

I like Last Crusade a lot, and some of its revisions of Raiders are among the more subtly effective things about it, but it did not suggest a way forward in a way that Monkey King or the haunted castle concepts might have.

Udvarnoky

There seems to have been a point late in the development of the third film where Spielberg/Lucas went from approaching it as "Indy III" to designing it as the finale of the (retrospective) trilogy.

That said, I agree that there were some probably some great WWWII era Indy movies that could have been made in the 90s. Apparently, Lucas never even considered that because he was so infatuated with his alien/B-movie idea. No draft of the fourth film was set before 1947 (Roswell) as far as I know.

It's too bad, but I'll forever keep hope alive that they can fulfill this potential with an animated series some day.

IndyBuff

Attila the Professor said:
Frankly, they wrote themselves into a corner with Last Crusade. All of the repeated elements from Raiders imposed the symmetry of a trilogy on the three films that then existed. The Young Indy sequence felt like explaining where the character came from in their last chance to do so, and riding off into the sunset offered an implied end to the character's story.

I like Last Crusade a lot, and some of its revisions of Raiders are among the more subtly effective things about it, but it did not suggest a way forward in a way that Monkey King or the haunted castle concepts might have.

That's true as well. I love the film but it didn't attempt to really do anything different the way that Raiders and Temple did. The father element was certainly a new twist but the beats were rather familiar.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of Last Crusade, but it also seems like they were unsure of where to go afterward, especially after such a satisfying conclusion.

IndyFan89

Finn said:
And I think I could kick Ford's irregardless of whether I'm in better or worse shape than him. Because I've got something Mr. Ford lacks - military training.

Addendum: In the name of honesty, I know very little past the basics and hold no delusions - pretty much anyone with more training and/or experience would wipe the floor with me. But me vs. a 75-year-old man whose experience consists entirely of Hollywood playacting? Yeah, I'd like my odds in that bout.

You chose a pretty poor argument, because one's physical condition is rarely a decisive factor in a fight. Knowing how to fight better than your opponent matters far more.

Here's a question - If you had to run away from Mr. Ford, do you think you could outrun him? If the answer is "no", I don't think you're in as great a shape as you boast.

Addendum 2: I'm fairly certain I could do this too, and it's also my preferred method of displaying physical superiority in pretty much every situation that looks like it could come to blows. I've little desire to "kick asses" unless cornered with no other options.

Eye roll! Everyone?s a tough guy lol

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Rounding up all the Blade Runner interview quotes. Did I miss any?
September 13, 2017
Harrison Ford's phone beeps with a text message telling him the new script is ready for him to read. He hopes it might happen in the second half of next year. I ask him what this new Indiana Jones movie will need to be in order to have him fully engaged. "Funded," he replies.

September 22, 2017
Q: "Are you going to fight white supremacists?"
Harrison Ford: "Um, I am, every chance I get, yeah. And if Nazis are back, I'm back. But it's not necessarily the thematic of the new Indiana Jones script. We're working on a script. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to work with Steven again and revisit that character in a different story at a different age. But the fight for good and evil, between good and evil continues, it's not yet won. So I'll sign up for that battle again."
Ryan Gosling: "Not that you need my help, but I'm right there with you, pal."

September 25, 2017
Ryan Gosling: "I mean I'm just, uh, I'm working on it man. Easy. You just blew it for me. Too soon."
Harrison Ford: "I'm trying to wrap my head around that. Too soon."

September 26, 2017
Harrison Ford: "I just wanted to bring back characters that audiences have enjoyed seeing. I want to be able to develop their stories in an interesting way. I want to give them a little bit something different. And then I'll go away and leave them alone."

September 27, 2017
Harrison Ford: "Five, yes. Yes it is. We have a release date. We're working on a script. It will be great. I?m looking forward to working with Steven again, revisiting the character. I think that can be a good thing to do."

September 27, 2017
Harrison Ford: "There's another Indiana Jones looming, I'm happy to say. I enjoy working with Steven and making that kind of movie. I mean, an Indiana Jones kind of movie, yeah. What do you mean what do I mean? An Indiana Jones movie. A movie that's more about movies than anything else. But it's also, you know, [Blade Runner] is an adult adventure. Indiana Jones are family kind of films, and one of the great opportunities of my life is that Indiana Jones, Star Wars, stuff like that gets passed on generationally."

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn and Ford going at it!

Finn said:
Addendum 2: I'm fairly certain I could do this too, and it's also my preferred method of displaying physical superiority in pretty much every situation that looks like it could come to blows. I've little desire to "kick asses" unless cornered with no other options.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/vU5P0T71Tk5oI" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/vU5P0T71Tk5oI"></a></p>

IndyBuff

Moedred said:
Rounding up all the Blade Runner interview quotes. Did I miss any?

Thanks for sharing those. I still wish Disney would move Indy V back up to summer of 2019 but at least Ford seems to be excited about this one. I hope the rest of them start feeling that same sense of urgency.

Face_Melt

IndyBuff said:
Thanks for sharing those. I still wish Disney would move Indy V back up to summer of 2019 but at least Ford seems to be excited about this one. I hope the rest of them start feeling that same sense of urgency.

Same. But I will feel a lot better once cameras are actually rolling on the film. Since that could happen in less than a year from now that?s good enough for me.

Finn

Staff member
IndyFan89 said:
Eye roll! Everyone’s a tough guy lol
I'm fairly certain that so-called "tough guys" don't include addendums that undermines their own tough-guyness.

It's basically a statement that says, "I think I could take a 75-year-old man in a fight and win, but even then I prefer running away" - and I honestly don't see what's particularly "tough" about that.

Of course I had to add a bit of extra purple prose to see if we have any dum-dums who catch the bait. And the Internet never fails to deliver.

Ford is fantastic in Blade Runner 2049 - playing his age and displaying some very real 'broken down' acting chops, as well as doing some believable punching and running about.

Be interesting to see if they take Indy 5 down a similarly emotional, realistic route, preferably with Marion and Mutt having carped it at some point in the decade since Crystal Meth.

They'll probably just have him doing backflips and flying through the air in a tumble dryer while cartoon squirrels look on though.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Behind the Scenes

micsteam said:
Don't forget Ford actually popped Gosling filming that punching sequence !!:hat:

tumblr_mjo1coiwPN1r50h3xo1_400.gif

Face_Melt

micsteam said:
Don't forget Ford actually popped Gosling filming that punching sequence !!:hat:

Those punches looked like they would hurt like hell too. They seemed so heavy! Pretty badass.

IndyForever

Ford was terrible in BR2049 :eek:

Little screen time. Looked way older than 75. Appeared disinterested & when he ran briefly you could clearly see he is carrying a long term leg injury from his plane crash or the door crush on TFA set as he appeared to be running with his leg at a slight angle. It looked very poor & unrealistic I was shocked but it appears Harrison is really starting to age rapidly now the lighting did him no favours he looked very old & tired despite only having about 15 min's on screen it did him no favours as the movie was also long boring & poor overall. An unworthy Blade Runner sequel.

If this is how Indy 5 is going to be (catering to his obvious lack of physical strength & advancing age) I would rather they cancel it now before he ruins the character like he did with Rick Deckard (n) :sick:

Z dweller

IndyForever said:
Ford was terrible in BR2049 :eek:
Looked way older than 75.
Wrong on both counts, matey.

He was terrific, and he simply looks his age.

Accept it, embrace reality. It's good for you.

micsteam

I thought BR2049 was great !! The whole production actually cared about making this movie you can see it, it was true to the original and told a new original story. Denis Villeneuve ... bravo !! I'm with Z dweller on this, Ford looked believable and convincing but looked his age, I don't think anybody was to trying to convince the audience otherwise. I'd like anybody here, (who's lucky enough to make it to 75 !!) with his injuries and " flights of fancy " do the stuff Ford's doing at 75 without CGI. :hat:

IndyBuff

It wasn't hard for me to imagine Ford playing Indy again while watching Blade Runner 2049. Sure, I do have some concerns about his age, but with the right treatment and story he's convinced me he can still pull it off.

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyBuff said:
It wasn't hard for me to imagine Ford playing Indy again while watching Blade Runner 2049.

That's because he wasn't playing Deckard, he was playing Ford. Check out his commitment to his costuming!

BEFORE!

did-deckard-dream-of-electric-sheep-was-harrison-ford-a-replicant-in-blade-runner.jpg

AFTER!

blade-runner-2049-ford-gosling.jpg