Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Henry W Jones

Unfortunately I think the Indiana Jones and the..... is a permanent fixture. I haven't seen anything but since they started using it.

indiana_jones_raiders_of_the_lost_ark.jpg

It would be a beautiful thing if they would go back to a classic look!!! But I highly doubt it. It's like expecting Lucas to return SW back to it's origin release print. Probably not gonna happen.

movie_raiders_of_the_lost_ark-10403.jpg

Has anyone seen the original logo used in recent years?

Crack that whip

Henry W Jones said:
Unfortunately I think the Indiana Jones and the..... is a permanent fixture. I haven't seen anything but since they started using it.

Perhaps, but only on outer packaging, print adaptations and the like. They began using "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" on packaging as far back as the last VHS release, in 1999, and they've had it on multiple DVD releases since then. As far as I can tell, though, they still haven't used that for the actual on-screen title in the actual movie itself, despite having used that title in print for over a dozen years now.

Of course these days there's no telling what George Lucas might do, but I don't think even he is particularly interested in changing the actual title of the movie. Moreover, even if he wanted to, I think that with the Indy movies he's willing to make some concessions to Steven Spielberg, and I really doubt Spielberg wants to change the title.

I suspect the only reason the later video releases have that title is to visually tie Raiders together to the rest of the Indy franchise, perhaps for the benefit of those viewers who aren't aware it's an Indiana Jones movie (which is doubtlessly a disturbing idea to those here, but as the years go on it probably accurately describes an increasing number of people), as well as just making it look more like the others. I could be wrong, but I don't think we're ever going to see the actual, onscreen title changed.

Henry W Jones said:
It would be a beautiful thing if they would go back to a classic look!!! But I highly doubt it. It's like expecting Lucas to return SW back to it's origin release print. Probably not gonna happen.

Has anyone seen the original logo used in recent years?

Yes, actually, indeed we have. Concord's expanded releases of the soundtrack releases in 2008 and 2009 used the original album art for the initial releases of the first three movies, including the classic original "Raiders" logo on the Raiders of the Lost Ark album. That was just a little over three years ago, and I don't think there's actually been any Raiders-specific product released more recently that wasn't part of some larger product line using an overall "Indiana Jones" branding anyway (like the 2009 LEGO sets, or Hasbro's "lost wave" action figures; the soundtrack release was in fact itself part of a larger Indy set, and still retained the classic Raiders logo).

The whole point of the title Raiders of The Lost Ark is to imply the whole adventure is about different groups of people who are all after the same object. Indy might be the hero, but he is still a raider.

To change that to Indiana Jones & The Raiders of The Lost Ark would be to set Indy aside as somehow different and above that.

It's a subtle difference but an important one, and that kind of white hat vs black hat over-simplification of good vs evil is George Lucas to a T(ie fighter).

His big fat wobbly necked endless post-release meddling destroys all nuance and ambiguity and makes the whole experience far less rich as a result.

I wonder whether at some point Lucas got emotionally frozen in his childhood at a point where he was confronted with the crazy multipicity and confusion of the real world and decided to retreat into a fantasy where everything was signposted and labelled.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
The whole point of the title Raiders of The Lost Ark is to imply the whole adventure is about different groups of people who are all after the same object. Indy might be the hero, but he is still a raider.

To change that to Indiana Jones & The Raiders of The Lost Ark would be to set Indy aside as somehow different and above that.

It's a subtle difference but an important one, and that kind of white hat vs black hat over-simplification of good vs evil is George Lucas to a T(ie fighter).

Good point.

The attempted transformation of an anti-hero into a hero.

Again.

Olliana

Haven't they already added the "Indiana Jones and the..." on the Raiders disc from 2003?

EDIT:

Never mind.

Btw, on the German DVD it's even weirder. There it says "Indiana Jones und der Jäger des verlorenen Schatzes" which means "Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark". :confused: Hope they won't do that again.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
Haven't they already added the "Indiana Jones and the..." on the Raiders disc from 2003?

Seems like the title was first changed for the 1999 VHS re-issue?

(Two years after Lucas messed with the Han/Greedo issue).

Crack that whip

replican't said:

His big fat wobbly necked endless post-release meddling destroys all nuance and ambiguity and makes the whole experience far less rich as a result.

I wonder whether at some point Lucas got emotionally frozen in his childhood at a point where he was confronted with the crazy multipicity and confusion of the real world and decided to retreat into a fantasy where everything was signposted and labelled.

Alternately, it can easily be seen as simply underlining the fact that it's an Indiana Jones movie, as opposed to a movie that "just" has Indiana Jones in it. Conceivably, there could have been a Raiders of the Lost Ark sequel featuring Sallah, Marion and/or Brody, but not Indy - he's obviously the central character in that original movie, but if we'd gotten, say, Sallah and Marion and the Temple of Doom (or whatever) in '84, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a movie sequel/prequel focused on characters other than the main character from the original.

Indy is different and above the other raiders in Raiders, not only because he is still more heroic than Belloq, Dietrich, et al., but also because Raiders of the Lost Ark is first and foremost a movie about his adventure, as opposed to theirs (or Marion's, or Sallah's, etc.).

At any rate, the movie hasn't been changed to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," except on packaging, which isn't the same thing as changing the title of the actual movie. It's not too different from video releases of James Bond movies carrying shared 007 branding, even though none of them actually have "James Bond" or "007" or whatever in their actual original titles, and all of them retain their original titles on-screen.

If and when the Blu-ray comes out with "Indiana Jones and the" appended to the beginning of the movie I'll reconsider, but until then I think this is much ado about nothing. George Lucas has enough to answer for with his actual missteps; there's no need to go about inventing new ones to feed some "Lucas is evil and/or a hack" narrative.

(And really, picking on his looks? Really? :rolleyes: We can be better than that.)

Crack that whip said:
Alternately, it can easily be seen as simply underlining the fact that it's an Indiana Jones movie, as opposed to a movie that "just" has Indiana Jones in it. Conceivably, there could have been a Raiders of the Lost Ark sequel featuring Sallah, Marion and/or Brody, but not Indy - he's obviously the central character in that original movie, but if we'd gotten, say, Sallah and Marion and the Temple of Doom (or whatever) in '84, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a movie sequel/prequel focused on characters other than the main character from the original.

Indy is different and above the other raiders in Raiders, not only because he is still more heroic than Belloq, Dietrich, et al., but also because Raiders of the Lost Ark is first and foremost a movie about his adventure, as opposed to theirs (or Marion's, or Sallah's, etc.).

At any rate, the movie hasn't been changed to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark," except on packaging, which isn't the same thing as changing the title of the actual movie. It's not too different from video releases of James Bond movies carrying shared 007 branding, even though none of them actually have "James Bond" or "007" or whatever in their actual original titles, and all of them retain their original titles on-screen.

If and when the Blu-ray comes out with "Indiana Jones and the" appended to the beginning of the movie I'll reconsider, but until then I think this is much ado about nothing. George Lucas has enough to answer for with his actual missteps; there's no need to go about inventing new ones to feed some "Lucas is evil and/or a hack" narrative.

(And really, picking on his looks? Really? :rolleyes: We can be better than that.)

I think you've spent too long thinking about all this stuff.

Raiders has Indiana Jonesandthe in it. Of course it does. But it also has that hot bird and cool evil Nazis and the Ark. It's got lots of ace stuff in it.
It's bigger than just Indiana Jonesandthe.

Look - Lucas is a wobbly-necked meddler who milks bone dry every cash cow he is involved with. Then fiddles with it some more, until it is so deformed and twisted it begs digitally to be put out its misery.

Calling it Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark is wrong and anyone defending the change of title needs to shove a lightsaber where the twin suns don't shine. Until they realise how silly they are being.

If you put that title on the box of the film and in the packaging, then that means you want people with eyes to read that title and associate it with the film* If you really think people will try to buy an Indiana Jonesandthe Box set and look at it and say to themselves "Oh no, what's this Raiders film doing here? It isn't called Indiana Jones and The something doodah, so my brain can't compute. Must put down confusing purchase decision and move on to Transformers thing", well those people dont deserve to watch the films in the first place.

I bet employees of Lucasarts are forbidden from referring to it as Raiders any more.

*I wouldnt be surprised if the visually impaired version has the title in braille too, and screams INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!!!!! repeatedly in your face you when you stick it in the player.
Come to think of it, is there an audiobook verison of the film? What does that call it?

Last edited:

Supernatural

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

When the first added Indiana Jones to the Raiders title, I thought "That's WAY too long for a title. Then I noticed Crystal Skull was even longer after counting the letters.

Indiana Jones and the Impossibly Long Movie Title!

Crack that whip

replican't said:
I think you've spent too long thinking about all this stuff.

Raiders has Indiana Jonesandthe in it. Of course it does. But it also has that hot bird and cool evil Nazis and the Ark. It's got lots of ace stuff in it.
It's bigger than just Indiana Jonesandthe.

Look - Lucas is a wobbly-necked meddler who milks bone dry every cash cow he is involved with. Then fiddles with it some more, until it is so deformed and twisted it begs digitally to be put out its misery.

Calling it Indiana Jones and The Raiders Of The Lost Ark is wrong and anyone defending the change of title needs to shove a lightsaber where the twin suns don't shine. Until they realise how silly they are being.

Perhaps, except the actual film still hasn't had the title changed. Maybe it will for the BD, and then we can all scream bloody murder about it, but so far it hasn't happened on screen in the actual movie, regardless of what they put on the labels and packages.

replican't said:
I bet employees of Lucasarts are forbidden from referring to it as Raiders any more.

I bet that not only is that not the case, but that George Lucas himself doesn't refer to it as "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." I bet he refers to it as "Raiders of the Lost Ark," or just "Raiders" for short.

replican't said:
Come to think of it, is there an audiobook verison of the film? What does that call it?

I doubt it, though I believe there was one released for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, back in the day. IIRC, it was narrated by William Conrad, for whatever reason.

indyclone25

ok, the bluray cover will have the "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" tltle. but the movie itself will remain with just "raiders of the lost ark" just because the people who saw the 30th anniversary print in theatres didn't notice anything changed with the title right?

Why fudging change the title on the outside if it doesn't matter then? Why?

God, are you people thick or something?

Lucas is evil and must be destroyed.

Darth Vile

replican't said:
Why fudging change the title on the outside if it doesn't matter then? Why?

From an aesthetic, design and marketing perspective it is a logical change (albeit facile). It doesn't mean you or I have to like it.