No more Indiana Jones from George Lucas.

Mickiana

A while back I wrote a postal letter to Lucasfilm expressing my wishes for a further Indiana Jones movie. Today I received a reply:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for writing all the way from Australia! I am so excited to hear that you are such a fervent fan of the Indiana Jones movies. They are pretty epic. Although Mr Lucas will not be making more Indiana Jones movies, there will be other projects to look forward to. I'm sure you will be able to find other movies you will love just as well. Since you are such a big fan, I've included a t=shirt for you to keep, so please enjoy!

Best wishes,

Elizabeth/Public Relations

That might not mean no more Indy at all, but at least not from Lucas. The shirt is cool, but it's a Medium so it might be too small. I can't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose. Sorry about the sobering news. It was looking that way by guessing anyway.

Mickiana

Will do as soon as I learn how to. The letter has the letter head so you can see its genuine. I wouldn't pull a hoax.

Montana Smith

fireworks.gif

But on the other hand, never believe PR!

Mickiana

Stop pretending you're happy Replicant and Montana!

I didn't expect any reply of course. It's months since I sent my letter. But to get this news contained in a reply, well, I'm still iffy on it. How come Lucas hasn't said anything direct, but the Public Relations employee tells a fan? Is it a cover up and they are planning Indy5 in secret? My suspicious self would like to think so, but my skeptical self thinks, alas, it is not so and Lucas has retired after all. Only time will tell. Or a direct public announcement.

I tried the shirt on. It fit like a condom. I won't be wearing it, but I won't part with it either.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Stop pretending you're happy Replicant and Montana!

I didn't expect any reply of course. It's months since I sent my letter. But to get this news contained in a reply, well, I'm still iffy on it. How come Lucas hasn't said anything direct, but the Public Relations employee tells a fan? Is it a cover up and they are planning Indy5 in secret? My suspicious self would like to think so, but my skeptical self thinks, alas, it is not so and Lucas has retired after all. Only time will tell. Or a direct public announcement.

We can only hope for the best... that Lucas really has retired!

Though I doubt he'll retire from meddling with the films he's already made.

Whether he makes another one or not, or if anyone else does or doesn't, I don't care either way. I can live without them. There will always be plenty of other films to see.

Indiana Jones #5 isn't the film you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along. ;)

Rivers

Hmmmmmm.... I agree, I wont believe it 100% unless George himself comes out and says it. Cant say I will accept a public relations employee's word on this matter.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Dude, I can't believe they sent a shirt- that's cool! Pic? Too bad about the size.

Interesting letter too. Could speculate anything from that really. It could be what PR are just saying at the moment or it could be the final word.

Finn

Staff member
They train these PR people somewhere en masse? Because despite all the different wordings, their replies always end up sounding the same to me.

I don't wish to drag anyone down, getting a reply from them like that is still pretty... for the lack of a better word, epic (yes, Stoo, I know), but damn that sounds generic regardless.

Archaeos

Wow, that is an astonishing letter! Unsuspecting! Inconceivable!

On one hand, it sounds great: Just image this opening the doors to a Kasdan-Spielberg-produced Indy V. This would at least instil hope for a promising project, maybe even a worthy movie in the franchise (yes, I am still bruised by KOTCS, but I moved on... :p)

On the other hand, Lucas is not known for relinquishing control of Lucasfilm properties. So this might very well mean that Indiana Jones is shelved, and KOTCS was the closure to the characters (and the joyful work he had on these films with Spielberg) that Lucas was seeking. And maybe this wouldn't be too bad after all. As the German saying goes: "Lieber ein Ende mit Schrecken, als ein Schrecken ohne Ende."

In the end, Violet and Finn nailed everything that can be said on this letter in the preceding posts (y) .

P.S.: I wanna see that T-Shirt, too!

Indy's brother

From the transcript of the letter in Mickiana's original post:

Mr Lucas will not be making more Indiana Jones movies

I don't think there is any subterfuge going on to this. It sounds pretty cut and dry to me. What purpose would be served by this beyond exactly what it says? If Lucas wanted Indy 5 to happen, it would make more sense to keep people interested in the possibility, rather than to directly slam the door shut in the face of a fan that wants another film. There is nothing open-ended, wishy-washy, or iffy about this letter. The PR gal could have responded in a myriad of ways to skirt the question, or even ignore it outright. Instead, she took the time to respond, and in no uncertain terms, unequivocally stated that it ain't gonna happen. Period. Is this straight from the horse's mouth? It's close enough for me. I'm prepared to take this one on faith. There is no secret Indy 5 conspiracy. It's over. What a waste.

Henry W Jones

Indy's brother said:
From the transcript of the letter in Mickiana's original post:

I don't think there is any subterfuge going on to this. It sounds pretty cut and dry to me. What purpose would be served by this beyond exactly what it says? If Lucas wanted Indy 5 to happen, it would make more sense to keep people interested in the possibility, rather than to directly slam the door shut in the face of a fan that wants another film. There is nothing open-ended, wishy-washy, or iffy about this letter. The PR gal could have responded in a myriad of ways to skirt the question, or even ignore it outright. Instead, she took the time to respond, and in no uncertain terms, unequivocally stated that it ain't gonna happen. Period. Is this straight from the horse's mouth? It's close enough for me. I'm prepared to take this one on faith. There is no secret Indy 5 conspiracy. It's over. What a waste.

This sounds about right to me. Too bad. I would have liked one more run.

Indy's brother

Of course, if anyone here needs to have their lingering doubts/suspicions/conspiracy theories quashed and vacated, let's wait and see what happens once Michael posted a pic of the actual letter here. Indy 5 is always news. I could see this popping up on Ain't it cool news>Perez Hilton>JoBlo> TMZ>MTV News> and then repeated ad nauseum on many other internet movie news outlets. Surely this would flush out the Lucasfilm juggernaut to respond, and/or generate a quote from Steven and Harrison eventually.

The finality of this letter is newsworthy, and a bit of a bombshell for fans to be sure. So Mickey, post that letter, shake the tree, and let's see what falls out of it! I am very interested in watching whatever response it generates. After all, seems like it may very well be the death knell for the franchise.

Archaeos

Not so sure about that anymore, replican't. Lucasfilm is pretty good at vetting their PR, so I think what she wrote is the current stand of affairs and state of mind there.

Also, Kathleen Kennedy was very outspoken a while back that Spielberg would move on from Indy to Tintin, and that this franchise would be what Amblin & Kennedy/Marshall would focus on in this genre and market segment.

I think that these two women give a "no-BS" view how things are with IJ. :gun:

Goodeknight

So, what's on the shirt? Lucasfilm logo? Indy?

Word from a PR person means very little in the long run. But that shirt's a great prize.

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
fireworks.gif

But on the other hand, never believe PR!

Can we finally have that funeral we've been talking about for a while now? :dead:
itching to start the FUNERAL FOR INDIANA JONES 5 thread