Uncharted: The Games

Le Saboteur

jsarino said:
The details look good, assuming he'll be rendered that way in actual game play. But, is it me or his face now looks different from Uncharted 1-3? If it wasn't for the clothes, I might not realize that's Nathan Drake. Here's how he looked in the past...

I was really, really irritated by part three. Well, not really. It's more of what I wanted in an Uncharted game. Heck, I would've been fine with another game last year. I digress, though. I spent the entire game waiting for Drake to use that kheffiyeh to no avail. What's the point of having a scarf to cover yourself with in a sandstorm if you're not going to use it?!

But, no, I don't find him to be unrecognizable. While he looks noticeably older - and rather gaunt - it reminds me (almost immediately) of how he looked in Among Thieves. For example, check out the Game of the Year announcement. It's almost as if they now have the ability to more closely resemble the concept art.

2010-09-28-GOTY-announcement.jpg

Junkie Monkeys said:
When they covered Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog explained how they based Drake’s muscles on real facial science. They detailed how shaders made Drake feel more natural. These shaders include pores, scars, facial hair, wetness in the skin/clothes and they are incredibly detailed. They compared last generation’s Drake to the current gen and explained going from 180 facial poses to over 800 poses! These facial poses were demonstrated in Maya and Naughty Dog aims to make Drake feel as natural as possible. On top of the poses, Naughty Dog used tools to make Drake’s skin react to the expression and they also applied these tools for his hands and arms for a more natural look and feel.

Full "article" here.

And just fun, check out this Drake's Fortune a bunch of Norges put together. It's pretty good.

And that's the five hundredth reply.

jsarino

^^^That was pretty good! They should do an Uncharted 2, and have a live action version of Chloe Frazer. ;)

jsarino

A scriptwriter is all fine and dandy, and you got a director...you still need a cast!

Yes I know, this thread is about the game and not the movie, but still...

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
One of the more pernicious aspects of the 'net is the incessant need to imbed hyperlinks...

Really? It's embed you dolt.

Anyway.

Last weekend Naught Dog concept artist Eytan Zana released a high-res copy of one of the two pieces of concept art from A Thief's End featured in The Art of Naughty Dog art book. This one features a battered Drake stumbling along the shoreline of a tropical isle during a hurricane(?).

eytan-zana-beach-670x385.jpg

Swing by here for the full-size version.

As mentioned in the other thread, Sony is holding a PlayStation Experience this weekend in Vegas. Naughty Dog is confirmed to be there with a new bit of DLC for The Last of Us, but it's also expected that we'll get a new trailer for Uncharted: A Thief's End and possibly a playable demo. Whether that's on the show floor or during the keynote is up for debate, but that's the current rumor.

jsarino said:
The details look good, assuming he'll be rendered that way in actual game play. But, is it me or his face now looks different from Uncharted 1-3? If it wasn't for the clothes, I might not realize that's Nathan Drake. Here's how he looked in the past...

You might have some of your questions answered this weekend! A group of Naughty Dogs are holding a panel on the process they went through in bringing Drake to the PS4.

PlayStation said:
Modeling Nathan Drake: Bringing an Iconic Character to PS4

Discover the process of making iconic treasure hunter, Nathan Drake, come to life for the PS4. From concept art to 3D model to the trailer you watched at E3 2014, go behind-the-scenes to learn how characters are built the Naughty Dog way. Featuring Frank Tzeng, Yibing Jiang, Colin Thomas, Ryan Trowbridge, and Ashley Swidowski.

Sunday - 5:30p - Palazzo Ballroom (A & B)

I believe it'll be streamed over the 'net on Sony's own Twitch feed. If not, I imagine they'll be an edited version on YouTube before long.

jsarino

Too bad they're not doing the trilogy remaster though. :(

One of my cats was intrigued about the new Uncharted's gameplay...
IMG_20141209_103610.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzlor

Graphically, aesthetically, very amazing. Fun? I don't think so, but that's me. I'm old school on gaming, giant open world games put me to sleep.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
Really? It's embed you dolt.

You really need to stop insulting fellow Raveners, Le Sab. What did Le Sab ever do to you? :p

I'm definitely excited for this final game, even though I felt Drake's Deception was utter perfection as a conclusion to the trilogy. Oh well, I'm curious to learn more about Drake's "brother".

Le Saboteur

Grizzlor said:
Graphically, aesthetically, very amazing. Fun? I don't think so, but that's me. I'm old school on gaming, giant open world games put me to sleep.

Have you played Uncharted? The series is about as far as you can get from a giant open world these days. In fact a significant number of people (some here) will tell you that the series is utter trash precisely because it's not a massive open world... because freedom.

jsarino said:
Soooo...awesome. Can't wait to see this come out!

Definitely looking forward to playing this! Naughty Dog has evolved the gameplay significantly without deviating from the general formula. There's still quite a few takeaways to go over, but, man, the detail work alone is impressive. Watch how the water @ 8:30 reacts as Drake tussles with an enemy.

There's a lot to talk about still, but here's a couple of quick takeaways:

• Enemies can attack from all angles
  • Possible contextual takedowns
  • Increased verticality
  • Improved stealth mechanics

If anybody has been to Disneyland that first cave should remind you of the cave after the second waterfall on Pirates of the Caribbean. I wonder if they'll slip in any other homages.

I'm still annoyed that any long gun Drake carries is still spot welded to his back rather than being held in place by a sling.

jsarino said:

The in-game model looks remarkably similar to the one from the E3 promo, but, man, does Drake look different in this newly released comparison photo from the recent panel at the PlayStation Experience.

drake_comparison.0.0.jpg

I... I don't know what to think yet. There are similarities there to be sure, but it almost looks like a different person now. The cheeks aren't quite as elongated, and the cheeks specifically look rather gaunt, etc. I'm not a fan of the push into photo realism.

More pictures here.

Got an hour of your life to waste? PlayStation has uploaded the entire panel for your viewing pleasure. Be forewarned, though. Modelers and animators aren't the most engaging pitchmen.

Oh, and I meant to mention this a while ago: Tired off buying off market, fan made shirts? Well, Sony & Naughty Dog have finally caught up to the Joneses and opened a web shop.

Eat your heart out Doctor Jones!

uncharted3.gif

kongisking said:
You really need to stop insulting fellow Raveners, Le Sab. What did Le Sab ever do to you?

tumblr_lxcudeX1P11qbtacbo1_r2_500.gif

jsarino

Le Saboteur said:
The in-game model looks remarkably similar to the one from the E3 promo, but, man, does Drake look different in this newly released comparison photo from the recent panel at the PlayStation Experience.

drake_comparison.0.0.jpg

I... I don't know what to think yet. There are similarities there to be sure, but it almost looks like a different person now. The cheeks aren't quite as elongated, and the cheeks specifically look rather gaunt, etc. I'm not a fan of the push into photo realism.

I don't know why they can't be photo-realistic AND retain Drake's look? He looks quite a bit different to me. :(

jsarino

The storyline revealed so far sounds good. But if both Sully and Elena are not keen on Drake going on one more adventure, will they join him anyways? It'll be neat to see the gang together again. My issue like in my last post is how they will render the other characters. As we already see with Drake, he looks quite different. Will the others look quite different too?

Phlip

kongisking said:
You really need to stop insulting fellow Raveners, Le Sab. What did Le Sab ever do to you? :p

I'm definitely excited for this final game, even though I felt Drake's Deception was utter perfection as a conclusion to the trilogy. Oh well, I'm curious to learn more about Drake's "brother".
Conclusion to the trilogy? These games were episodic; each one had its own story and it's own conclusion.

Le Saboteur

jsarino said:
Too bad they're not doing the trilogy remaster though. :(

But they are! Or were you referencing Naughty Dog not handling it in house? I'd rather have Naughty Dog focus on bringing the next outing to my living room, and let Bluepoint continue to work on the remastered Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.

Uncharted-Nathan-Drake-Collection-Screenshots-700x350.jpg

I'm not a fan of the subtitle/log line/whatever, but I'd be interested in double dipping. Plus, it's a great chance for newcomers to check out some of the best games from the previous generation.

Like Uncharted? Were you mystified as I was at Sony's absolute failure to monetize the series with t-shirts, tchotkes, and fun knick knacks? Well, it looks like Sony is finally starting to change that by teaming up with the clothiers at We Love Fine. Over the past couple of months (weeks?) they've been accepting submissions for t-shirt designs by fans of Drake & Co., and are now asking you to go pick your favorites. The winners will live forever in your dresser drawer on the t-shirt of your pick! Patrick Brown even has a couple of designs up for consideration!

Stop in and check out the entries over here.

38488.jpg.500x500.jpg

Finally, dig the E3 2015 gameplay demo! Since nobody bothered to post it.

There's an extended version available here, but it remains unseen by me. I'm planning on going in as blind as possible this time around.

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:
So surprised no one posted it but...

Do you remember the good ol'days?

There's too much information out there as is. Especially since the release date was pushed back to 2016! We really shouldn't even know that Drake has a brother (as poorly conceived as it seems) until... whatever chapter you meet him in. Speaking of that, Sony has officially announced the release date for A Thief's End and a couple of different collector's editions to steal away just a little more of your hard earned monies!

David Bull said:
Mark your calendars, folks! We?re excited to announce that Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End will launch on March 18th, 2016.

As we all eagerly count down the days, we have news to share on all of our pre-order offerings, including two limited edition versions of the game: Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End Special Edition and Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End Libertalia Collector?s Edition. For our PlayStation Store customers, don?t worry, we?ve got something in store for you as well!

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Special Edition

20775005539_b49508210c_b.jpg

In the box you get:

Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End Blu-ray Disc
Collectible Steelbook case designed by Alexander ?That Kid Who Draws? Iaccarino
48-page hardcover art book by Dark Horse and Naughty Dog
Naughty Dog & Pirate Sigil sticker sheet
Naughty Dog Points: A pack of in-game currency to unlock various multiplayer content*

* -That's to build your Drake Base. Not really.

The Special Edition is now available for pre-order from finer retail outlets everywhere for the princely sum of $79.99 USD/$99.99 CAD.

If that doesn't have enough doodads in the box, then do check out the Libertalia Edition:

Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End Libertalia Collector?s Edition

20773813878_62d7497b83_b.jpg

In addition to the aforementioned crap, your $119.99 USD will get you the following goodies:

A 12″ premium Nathan Drake statue by Gentle Giant
Three multiplayer outfits: Uncharted: Drake?s Fortune, Heist Drake, and Desert Drake outfits
Two custom weapon skins: Golden Weapon Skin and Desert Weapon Skin
Henry Avery Sigil ball cap
Madagascar Sidekick outfits

Digital only pariahs, don't worry. Sony hasn't forgotten you! No physical goodies obviously.

Uncharted 4 Digital Deluxe Edition

20341452773_e420d76385_b.jpg

A digital copy of Uncharted 4: A Thief?s End
Uncharted 4 Triple Pack: Includes future access to the first-ever, single-player story add-on for the Uncharted series and two multiplayer packs that will unlock new, rare and legendary multiplayer items
Instant unlock of two multiplayer customization items

Note the bolded portion. Yes, Uncharted is getting its first-ever single-player expansion. Finally. After being burned on the last outing's Fortune Hunter's Club, it's nice to see it finally happening. No idea on the direction obviously, but the possibilities are boundless!

That's enough for this post!